Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: And so it was done

Gold Member

And so it was done

This morning I went to court and in a flash I was one more major step down the road. I am now Susan Ann (still go by Sue) and I had my loving wife right beside me. Of course I quickly took care of Social Security and sent in for a passport as those precede everything else for me. At this point I am seriously grateful for the family support I have received as it has been truly wonderful. The last step is work.

I am so happy for you, Sue. I hope to take that step at the end of the year or the first thing next year.

Hugs,

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

well then........Nice to meet you Susan Ann!
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Congratulations, I know how good it feels to start life with your new name. Now be prepared for the hard work switching all your if over. A year later I still find things I need to change. Other stuff like home title and marriage I didn't bother with. So dealing with those items I get name Stephen aka Stephanie.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

I'm happy that you are blessed with a supportive family in addition to the supportive family of this forum. Congrads for jumping over one of the many hurdles that you face, my prayers go with you!

Hugs, Bria

Banned Read only
    Yea, Susan Ann!

Congrats Sue a huge milestone and your wive by your side even better.
    If you are a Genetic Female (Female at Birth) and would like to join us in the F.A.B. Forum, please follow the link.

F.A.B. Forum Access

Sherlyn,My beautiful sweet girl
    You forever and always will be my one and only true love . ❤️

Administrator

You got legal recognition.. that is great!

Next steps, now that you are legally you?

<3

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Gold Member
    Really, it isn't much more than work Madame Moose. I do need to come out on Facebook for those that are friends that don't know. Most of the close ones know and the family does other than the more distant relatives. At the same time, I will tell work and tell them my first day. Because I haven't pulled the trigger on work, I haven't changed Facebook since the word would spread. All that will be a week into September. Surgery is probable, but I promised myself I would think about that after things settle down. I don't need to be using brain power on that when I am doing enough already. So I guess you can look at it as my transition (an ill defined thing) will be done with my first day at work. Normalizing life and any surgeries are post-transition efforts. Or transition goes on forever, take your pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    Or transition goes on forever, take your pick.
    Up to you, sweetie, nobody can second guess you on that. How and who you come out to is a tricky thing. What might be easy for me might be really hard for you. Being who you are at work is another issue entirely. I took it in steps, but I still get questions about why I paint my nails. (Earrings? It is a non-issue now) My odd (colorful) sock choices are written off as 'odd'. Nobody but another CD'er will spot that I'm wearing girl jeans.

I would *never* want transition to go on forever. You/we need more peace than that.

You have to live in your skin hon. Nobody can make those choices for you. You know what is 'safe' and what isn't. You know what is 'you' and what isn't.

Namaste!

- MM
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Congrats
    I to went to court this morning and the judge signed my name change, as Margaret Lee but I use the nickname Peggie Lee.
    The courts here make you wait a week before you can get copies to start changing your ID's.

Peggie

Silver Member
    Congratulations Sue! Awesome

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mechamoose View Post
    I would *never* want transition to go on forever. You/we need more peace than that.
    Oh I will have my peace shortly. I was just referring to the fact that you really can't pick any one event to call the end of transition. Some refer to the social transition and that it goes on forever.

Stephanie, probably like everyone else, I have created a laundry list of things to change. And I bet I will have at least a hundred things I miss. The electronic age....

Di and Bria. I would hate to think what this would be like without family by my side. My in laws have been equally fantastic as my birth family. I don't know what I did to earn it, but I sure love it.

Congrats Peggie! I am sorry you have to wait a week. The clerk in the courtroom scanned it in on the spot while the judge and I finished talking. Then I went downstairs and paid for certified copies.

Interesting notes on where we are in this area. The judge first asked if I wanted to be referred as Ms or Mr. Then he went over the options of legal order of name change and I could have gender change. It has debatable value and he even said that. Went to Social Security and the guy helping me had never done a gender change before. But he studied something on the computer (help files?), pleasantly helped me out, and had it double checked to be sure. 20 minutes. Then at the passport office, the guy jumped right in and knew what he was looking for. I mentioned that I am surprised he had seen a lot. He said he did this once a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    But he studied something on the computer (help files?), pleasantly helped me out, and had it double checked to be sure. 20 minutes. Then at the passport office, the guy jumped right in and knew what he was looking for. I mentioned that I am surprised he had seen a lot. He said he did this once a couple of years ago.
    ...and now he has experience so the next of us he helps will go smoother.

We are only strange when we are unusual. If/when we are 'routine', we have won. Odd, but true.. it is a fight to be 'normal'.

<3

- MM

Congratulations Sue
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

Hiya Susan Ann.

You changed your name but work doesn't know, how does that work?

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I bet that felt extra special having your wife standing by you for the name change.

So how are your plans for work progressing?
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Platinum Member
    Congratulations on completing this next to last step, Sue!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Gold Member
    So notifying work is a couple of weeks away. If they are going to flog me for not telling them immediately, then so be it. But I don't see anything that forces my hand to go running in right away. When I tell them my full time date, I will also notify them of the name change so they can process it. I couldn't find anyone who saw an issue with this, so I went with the timing of applying for a passport and new Social Security Card so I can start turning over all of my information when I inform work.

My wife was out running around with her best friend last night and I ended up in bed before she got home. When I woke up, I found out why she was running around.

Last edited by PretzelGirl; 08-15-2014 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Fixed image sizes but I don't see those tags in edit mode, so I can't get rid of them.

Give that woman a kiss & hug!! That kind of support... no *thoughtfulness* is rare.

You have a gem there, hon. Support her as much as she supports you!

- MM

Aspiring Member
    I am so happy for you Sue! And what a lucky girl you are to still have a spouse. So many of us are forced to be divorced from the one that we still love. Have a great day, Leanne

So happy for you Sue

Congrats Sue. I'm really happy for you.

Stephania

Regarding your passport application. Ensure the letter from your doctor states exactly what they include in the sample letter. Have your doctor wire the letter that you have completed your transition and they continue to supervise and manage your care. Have them include their DEA number. State license number and the state that licensed them. Also have the doctor use a pressure seal on their signature if you state uses them. This will ensure your application is processed promptly without delay. I just received my passport which pretty much completes all my major id's and it was kicked back because the doctor didn't include the state that licensed him and they didn't believe the letter was original because it was signed in black ink. I had him sign it in blue ink and our state issues pressure seals for professional licenses so I had him use it. If you would like a copy of the letter I sent to the State Dept pm me and I will email you a copy.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Gold Member
    Madame Moose, she is pretty special and I have been enjoying it for almost 25 years and hopefully giving plenty in return. More from coincidence than plan, my first day at work is the day after our 25th anniversary. It hit that mainly because I wanted to start after HR had a work day or two without me around to change anything they wanted to (email, company directory) and secondly because it will then be a two day work week which may help from the perspective of getting the stress over with and then taking a deep breath instead of having the longer week to get through.

Stephanie, I did compare the letter to the instructions for passports and social security on-line and it was verbatim. It didn't have a pressure seal and I didn't know doctors got those. My provider services probably >80% of us in Utah, so she is used to this and I hope that means the letter will go right through. Since I turned the passport application in yesterday, I can only roll with it now and know the possible gaps if it gets kicked back. The letter was on colored stationary, so like your blue ink, I hope that helps.
    Last edited by PretzelGirl; 08-15-2014 at 09:28 AM.