Thread: Children and there acceptance

Children and there acceptance

My wife has never been accepting and I have crawled to the back of the closet because of it
    In the last 2 months she has told me of 2 issues in my sons school of boys coming
    Back as girls this school year and how will our son respond
    I bite my tongue but I would like to say he will be more accepting then you.
    I have never told him about me and likely never will I just hope that his classmates
    Get the solid support they deserve
    Staying in the closet isn't so bad as long as you know why your in there.

Interesting that there are two TSs in your son's school, it shows that inroads are being made for younger people to live as they should
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

As a new father, but with a supportive wife, I am having difficulty with the perception my son would have of his dad. Purged everything when he was three months and after talking with my wife, have started over, but only when they are both gone.

Tiffany, I can see your perspective but stop and think about that for a minute. Did your baby look around after being born and say (to themselves of course) "Wow that's mommy, she wears dresses. That's daddy, he wears (I don't even know what defines a man)"? No that is learned response that you will probably reinforce as the child grows. So the child will learn that some clothes are women's and some men's. On the other hand you have a perfect opportunity to teach your son that people are people and don't judge them by the clothes they wear or the cars they drive. That being true to yourself is more important than following the piper blindly
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Lorileah, I like your thinking on this subject. I hadn't thought of that approach to teach tolerance and openess to children. It's a little later for my kids as they are all past 40, but a very good though for those who have young children.

Hugs, Bria

Boys coming back to school as girls ... I was born 60 years too soon. Sigh.

Banned Read only
    Tommi,
    You don't say what age group of children you're talking about ! But as my secondary school was all boys I wouldn't have returned to the same school ! If your wife accept the events at school she may soften her attitude to your dressing !

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Tommi,
    You don't say what age group of children you're talking about ! But as my secondary school was all boys I wouldn't have returned to the same school ! If your wife accept the events at school she may soften her attitude to your dressing !
    I'm sorry
    Highschool seniors
    I would have been scared to death to go back to the same school myself
    But with the right network of friends it looks like this will work
    Staying in the closet isn't so bad as long as you know why your in there.

Quote Originally Posted by tommi View Post
    I have never told him about me and likely never will I just hope that his classmates
    Get the solid support they deserve
    While it's certainly not necessary to out yourself to your children, this is a perfect opportunity to effect change on the next generation. You are blessed with the perspective to ensure that at least your child won't be pointing and laughing at us. I say take advantage of it.
    "It's a sad man, my friend, who's living in his own skin and can't stand the company" - Bruce Springsteen

Come visit me at Jocelyn's World

The Mad Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by CynthiaD View Post
    Boys coming back to school as girls ... I was born 60 years too soon. Sigh.
    Totally agree that I should have been born later too.

All 3 of my children know about me and have been quite accepting. My 2 daughters are 16 and 21 and have been very supporting. They both know other transgender people. They are the loving open minded young ladies I hoped they would be. I was afraid about telling my son who is 11. He was afraid of change but has adjusted quickly. He prefers me as Suzanne now. He is fearless and goes everywhere with me while en femme. It has been such a bonding experience for us and provided many teachable moments. I hope he sees my courage to be me.
    Suzanne

If/when I have children, I hope that I can teach them empathy and acceptance of others that don't follow the typical "normal" gender roles. If they ever turn out to be TG or gay my only concern would be how to best prepare them for those that will not accept them.

This day and age kids from my generations 20 & 30s don't really care. There totally fine with it. The next generation same thing. As overtime things have been going in a very liberal direction which is a good thing.

Hugs, Julie

I think my kids are very accepting of others

When my daughter was in HS and in college there were a couple of MtF and she was accepting and was friends with the girl in college

Platinum Member
    Hi Tommi, I see no need to burden my two grown daughters with this program.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Lorileah, thank you for the reminder. As it is up to us as parents to teach values we believe in to our kids, it is also important to promote acceptance of people and things we may not fully understand. As my wife came from a family that was more open to conversation about many aspects of life that my family was not, she has allowed me to feel comfortable with myself for who I am. I know my son knows me by my face, voice, and scent more than what I wear. It is the public perception, I fear for him, if he were to discuss his father at a later time in life. Things are changing in the public eye and we all want a world where anyone can be accepted for who they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy O View Post
    Totally agree that I should have been born later too.
    Yes I know--Every time I see something like this on here I am very happy for the young people. But at the same time I get depressed almost to the point of crying because I was born 30 to 35 years too soon. I really wised that I would have been born in the generation of my kids ( ages 30, 20 and 15 ) instead. But then I wouldn't have any of them as children and there is no way that I would want to give that up.

In my experience, kids today are far more accepting of trans people than adults are. Kids have not yet learned prejudice.

The civil rights movements, and the "politically correct" culture that came about in the late 80's and early 90's (and Clinton''s don't ask don't tell") has made current generations more aware and more accepting of the differences in others.
    You see older generations believed it was wrong to be different. This generation believes in embracing our differences/