Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit of a rant about stepping back !

Banned Read only

Bit of a rant about stepping back !

I've managed three occasions to talk to my wife and thought we were moving forward, she knows where my stuff is but as far as I'm aware hasn't had a look, she obviously knows about my dressing and why I do it, and she knows I shave my legs.

So today I collected the post and made a coffee and we both sat in the garden to sort the post. The large box contained some new work boots, I said that's great they've come, the old ones were getting uncomfortable. She said , "I hope they haven't got heels on ! " I replied with a smile, " Well they could have, would you mind ? " " They ****** well better not have ! " she replied . I asked, " What's your objection ? " She turned and said, " You don't need them, they're not necessary !! "

I just felt I'd taken two steps back in my steel capped work boots ! Progress ! What progress ? I'm just going round in ever decreasing circles!!!

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Teresa,

Yes, it really seems like that at times. But then, out of the blue there will be a positive ray of sunshine. My wive went full circle about 4 times in the past three years before getting to the realization that it really isn't about her, but about finding a happiness level for both.

Now we go out together dressed for shopping drinks and dinner, and to group meetings. She wants me to start electrolysis, and attend SCC this year, so I will!

Give it time and keep on talking, The dialogue is what will keep her involved.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Platinum Member

Subject To Change Without Notice !

Hi Teresa, It all depends on a womans mind set as to how they will ever accept us.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    I'm just going round in ever decreasing circles!!!
    I believe Aviators call that a "Death Spiral". Sorry to hear your woes.

This I guess is part of the transitioning process for any wife that has to deal with being part of her husbands secret. Teresa if I may ask how long have you been married and how long had you been married before your wife was invited to share your Teresa side?
    I am very hesitant (to put it mildly!) about coming out to my wife even though I think the fork in the road is getting closer than I want to admit.
    Amanda

Teresa, have you and your wife had a conversation about budgeting for your purchases? Her statement "You don't need them, they're not necessary !! " sounds like someone who is concerned about where the money is going to come from to pay for your extravagances.

After all, you agree, presumably, that you don't need high-heeled work boots, right?

http://www.charlotterusse.com/produc...FQGMaQod2LQAMA

So maybe you were joking about getting them, but it's hard for her to see the humor when she doesn't understand why you buy, say, fancy outfits for wearing around the house, or other things that you want but don't necessarily need. If you could reassure her that you aren't lost in a pink fog, and you still understand the value of money and saving for retirement, that might help her stay more relaxed.

Theresa, my wife's acceptance has had ups and downs. I try not to push things too much, and she appreciates that.

The Mad Scientist
    Hang in there Teresa.

My SO has had many ups and downs but the important thing is that we both continue to try our best to remember what is important to the other and put the other first. If both do that...the rest is easy.

Banned Read only
    Amanda I've been married forty years, I came out to my wife twenty years ago but I'm afraid there's no shared Teresa time !

Jess since coming out and our more recent talks my wife does have the odd jokey comment about wearing inappropriate shoes ! She does know where my stuff is kept but I made her promise she wouldn't look unless we talked about it first, from her comments I have a sneaking feeling she has looked unless she's just fishing for me to say something ! On that basis she doesn't know what clothes I have, apart from things she thought had gone to charity shops which I've admitted I have sorted and kept things I liked, we're only one dress size difference on most things. She was OK with that and now offers me things, the only clothes I refused were my daughters, I've never touched her things, it just doesn't feel right !
    I haven't spent a fortune and I only use cash to restrict my spending and also not using credit cards for my stuff doesn't leave a trail ! Her lack of humour some days would only be because she having a bad day otherwise and CDing then ceases to be funny !
    Last edited by Teresa; 08-19-2014 at 04:15 PM.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Teresa I feel for ya hon, our SO are very special to us and when we try to get them to understand but don't is very hard.
    Hope things get better

Quote Originally Posted by JessM. View Post
    Teresa, have you and your wife had a conversation about budgeting for your purchases? Her statement "You don't need them, they're not necessary !! " sounds like someone who is concerned about where the money is going to come from to pay for your extravagances.

After all, you agree, presumably, that you don't need high-heeled work boots, right?

http://www.charlotterusse.com/produc...FQGMaQod2LQAMA

So maybe you were joking about getting them, but it's hard for her to see the humor when she doesn't understand why you buy, say, fancy outfits for wearing around the house, or other things that you want but don't necessarily need. If you could reassure her that you aren't lost in a pink fog, and you still understand the value of money and saving for retirement, that might help her stay more relaxed.
    Thank you for posting this perspective. It's always nice to step back and consider a bigger picture.
    - Natalie

P.S. that's what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R where eliminated.
    -Mitch Headburg

"If you think you think outside the box, you're trapped in one"
    - M.C. Paul Barman

Something I learned very quickly is not to ask for approval. My wife is accepting virtually all the time. But if you asked her whether she would rather I were a crossdresser or a non crossdresser, her answer would certainly be "non crossdresser." Acceptance is one thing, approval is something else.

It sounds to me as if your wife thought you were asking for approval. In that context her answer isn't all that surprising. I suspect that you will find that you haven't really taken two steps back. You just stepped into some dangerous territory.

Yes, sounds very similar to our conversations. If there is forward momentum it is pretty slow.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CynthiaD View Post
    Something I learned very quickly is not to ask for approval. My wife is accepting virtually all the time. But if you asked her whether she would rather I were a crossdresser or a non crossdresser, her answer would certainly be "non crossdresser." Acceptance is one thing, approval is something else.

It sounds to me as if your wife thought you were asking for approval. In that context her answer isn't all that surprising. I suspect that you will find that you haven't really taken two steps back. You just stepped into some dangerous territory.
    This is a really insightful answer and made me realise this is true in my marriage. I can accept my H needs to do this, but if he was still seeking actual approval from me I'd feel pretty annoyed, too. (He did this in he past and it grew old very quickly!) I've said time and again here that approval is something we give children, not grown men who should already have figured themselves out!! Dangerous territory is definitely the word for this. If you seek approval you might instead hear the words you've been avoiding - that even the most accepting GG can still prefer you weren't a crossdresser and yes, deep down might even disapprove of the behavior. Do you really want or need to hear this? Isn't self approval the only kind we should seek?

Teresa, next time, don't add the 'would you mind?' comment to your joke. It adds a weight of seriousness and desperation that ruins the humor (it might have been funny otherwise!) and you know full well your wife will never openly love this side of you or prefer you in heels over work boots. Her acceptance has already been given - she understands that you need Teresa in your life. If you need more than this, the issue is more about you than her and you may still need to decide if this marriage is worth it. x
    Last edited by Tinkerbell-GG; 08-19-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Ah, the ever decreasing circles.

I think my wife is Pluto and I am the sun. She's in a stable elliptical orbit that sometimes comes a little bit closer to the sun, and other times move a little farther away, by even at the closest point, we are still pretty far apart.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I sympathize with you Teresa. I got the "why would you need that" comment with regards to the bras I have. And a recent attempt to joke about crossdressing just got me a snarky response. All I can say is, make sure you are at peace with yourself, and find some way for your needs to be met. If you want acceptance and approval and support, that is what we are here for.
    -Nyla

Banned Read only
    Cynthia I'm not avoiding straight talking but sometimes you can make headway just through a few jokey remarks ! I guess I'm using them to fish for more comments and questions, to come out in small ways !

Banned Read only
    Teresa, is that where the conversation ended? You need to know the "why" of it. Is it possible that she objects for the financial reason? Might she think it is excessive for the amount of time you dress/go out? "Honey, why are you upset about this?" seems a good place to start. Sleeping dogs in the cross dresser's world should not be left to lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell-GG View Post
    This is a really insightful answer and made me realise this is true in my marriage. I can accept my H needs to do this, but if he was still seeking actual approval from me I'd feel pretty annoyed, too. (He did this in he past and it grew old very quickly!) I've said time and again here that approval is something we give children, not grown men who should already have figured themselves out!! Dangerous territory is definitely the word for this. If you seek approval you might instead hear the words you've been avoiding - that even the most accepting GG can still prefer you weren't a crossdresser and yes, deep down might even disapprove of the behavior. Do you really want or need to hear this? Isn't self approval the only kind we should seek?

Teresa, next time, don't add the 'would you mind?' comment to your joke. It adds a weight of seriousness and desperation that ruins the humor (it might have been funny otherwise!) and you know full well your wife will never openly love this side of you or prefer you in heels over work boots. Her acceptance has already been given - she understands that you need Teresa in your life. If you need more than this, the issue is more about you than her and you may still need to decide if this marriage is worth it. x
    Tinker Bell
    I wanted to point out that all grown men or women do not always have themselves figured out. Coming to terms with being TS for me has been a process. My wife is going through a process to see where she stands in relationship to me being a woman. We both are at a different place than we were 18 months ago. We all grow and hopefully learn to accept what we cannot change or find the strength to change what we can.
    Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by Bootsiegalore View Post
    I believe Aviators call that a "Death Spiral". Sorry to hear your woes.
    Good allegory but a good aviator can recover from a spiral by levelling and the wings and pulling out of the dive gently. Pull too hard and the wings come off, too little and you go straight in.

Essentially doing nothing is not an option but reacting rashly won't help either. You have to keep things going in small gentle movements. I realised that my wife isn't going to suddenly wake up one morning and tell me she's happy with it. On the other had she isn't going to turn around and tell me to never do it again. But a few years from now I hope it will all be normal for her.

Basically keep the wings level and don't slow down or speed up too much. That's all we can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    Ah, the ever decreasing circles.

I think my wife is Pluto and I am the sun. She's in a stable elliptical orbit that sometimes comes a little bit closer to the sun, and other times move a little farther away, by even at the closest point, we are still pretty far apart.
    Great illustration

Banned Read only
    I have to agree with Cynthia and Tinkerbell. I have been married for over forty years, so I'm in the same boat. My wife has been aware of my cross dressing tendencies and has seen how they have grown over the years. What started out as "bedroom Play" with a nightie and stockings grew to full blown attire and wigs. I believe she is not aware of the extent of my wardrobe and wig. I have my attire stored in plain sight in Xerox boxes. If she knows, she knows. It's truly DADT. We have not had a discussion on the subject for over twenty-five years.

Years ago I realized two things. First, and, most important is she is not accepting of men wearing women's clothing. Cross dressing is something she did not sign on for. I'm fortunate that she has realized my cross dressing is a very small part of who I am. I am not a womanizer. I am not a user of alcohol, drugs, etc.

Secondly, I realized any attempt at trying to "force" my cross dressing on her is nothing short of mental or emotional abuse. She and I went once to Meryn's to buy me some panties. In my mind it was really an attempt by me to have her accept and participate in some manner. The trip was so stressful for her it bordered on abuse. Sure, no one but she and I knew the panties were not for her. But, she knew they were for me! At that moment I realized my attempt to have her engage in conversation was an attempt for me to gain self acceptance.

"If my wife were to accept my cross dressing, then it must be OK!"

I choose not to engage her in conversations because she is not accepting of cross dressing. To "push" it on her in any manner is nothing more than abuse. And, I am secure in how I see myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Cynthia I'm not avoiding straight talking but sometimes you can make headway just through a few jokey remarks ! I guess I'm using them to fish for more comments and questions, to come out in small ways !
    It's just my take on this scenario but I know I don't like the snarky, jokey remarks, and fishing. I'm a spit it out kind of girl. My husband found this out early as I would get annoyed with his hem hawing around and tell him just that - spit it out already. It would seem to me that if you have been married for 40 years that just making a comment here and there hasn't worked so far. Maybe you should try a different approach?

Coping2014

If course she looked at your stuff. Women are naturally curious. If she didn't she would have to have her "woman's club" card taken away but that's part of why we love them, right because they care. Tink is right in that she will probably never approve of this part of you. It gets annoying when they think that the man they married (their complement) jumped out the CD window again. Work with what you have Hon and do your best. At least your wife accepts this part of you, mine never did.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Banned Read only
    Coping much of this is new to both of us, I came out to her twenty years ago but it's only since joining the forum eight months ago that I've manged to read and learn from other members how to approach talking to her. She is the sort that doesn't mind jokey remarks but obviously I have to pick the right moment ! She does the same to me maybe with a touch more sarcasm !