Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New SRS surgeon nearby

New SRS surgeon nearby

DR. Tuan Nguyen has an office within 50 miles of where I live, he claims to have over 10 years as a plastic surgeon in the GRS field. His web site has a very few recommendations but I have not heard of his work before. He has connections to a reputable local hospital, but apparently performs his GRS work in his clinic and not the hospital.

Does anyone here know about him, where he trained and how good his work is? Its not that I have anything against a Vietnamese surgeon, some of the best are not American. Its just the unknown factors that make me curious.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

Silver Member
    His C.V. is on his site. He is all US trained: Univ. of Texas for bachelors and Dental(!) degrees. He was an engineer before he became a dental surgeon. Went to Texas Tech for his MD. Top tier surgical internship, decent hospitals for residency and plastic surgery fellowship. His plastics creds look good, including being Chief of Plastic Surgery at the local Shriners hospital and a professorship at Oregon Health Services U.

His entire career has been out west. Bowers or Meltzer must know him if he's been involved in GRS for 15 years (almost all of his medical career after completing his fellowship).

The office is obviously a converted residence and is pretty sparse. Looks like a one-doc setup. As he appears well-trained and well-established, I wonder why he's in such a practice.
    Lea

Banned Read only
    No information on this doctor. A quick internet search you will find several doctors with the same name. Be sure you have the right one.

Silver Member
    Tuan and Nguyen are both common names - the latter extraordinarily so. But there aren't a lot of doctors in the Oregon practicing SRS with that name!
    Lea

Apparently his primary practice is plastic surgery adding in GRS. There are of course other skill sets like urology involved and it seems like a one man operation is just not such a great idea. Still looking for anyone with actual experience with him and his work. Most of the clinics in other places have larger staffs, or whole hospitals.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

It's heresay, but I believe he does the surgery and leaves the aftercare to the patient. That is what I heard, but I have no personal knowledge.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Silver Member
    That's consistent with his website, in which he recommends (for GRS) bringing someone along for 24 hour aftercare and, if that's not possible, using his facility at $300/day. I found a review of him elsewhere (Susan's, maybe - don't recall) that mentioned a once-a-day check.
    Lea

Celeste, I think you're doing the right thing by questioning this doctor's credentials. GRS is a MAJOR life altering decision, and I would definitely question the credentials of any doctor that I am going to be using in my transition, regardless of the race or ethnicity. You are definitely not being a racist, you're just being smart.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Anyone have a link to his web site ??

Thanks,
    Jamie2
    "Do not wish to be anything but what you are."
    ~Saint Francis de Sales

Yeah Lea, I saw that and concluded he just added GRS to an otherwise slow plastic surgery practice. In the clinics like in Thailand and Trinidad CO, they are dedicated to TS care and that is their focus with plastic surgery simply being part of what they do.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie2 View Post
    Anyone have a link to his web site ??
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=DR.+Tuan+Nguyen
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I cannot remember where but I have read atrocious reviews about his GRS abilities. Go to someone who does between 6 and 9 GRS per week then you know you get a really experienced surgeon
    "Never forget the many ways there are to be human" (The Transsexual Taboo)

Banned Read only
    This is the guy that did Autumn Sandeen's orchi, then signed some paperwork that allowed Sandeen to claim that he had had SRS and file for a new B/S. Orchi=Sex Change. Really???

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Unless you have first-hand personal knowledge of Sandeen's experiences with transition, ill-informed comments like this are, at best, unhelpful.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

In some states an orchi is satisfactory for legal change of gender.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    Unless you have first-hand personal knowledge of Sandeen's experiences with transition, ill-informed comments like this are, at best, unhelpful.
    I am not so sure this is an ill informed comment. This is a known situation and in fact was written about by Autumn at great length. She and the good doctor claimed that the removal of the testicles was a "sex" change. Autmn got into some significant explanatory distress when challenged. All of this in the public domain.

Angela, it is for the legal change of gender markers, but it still dos not make it a sex change.

While it may not be a sex change. It allows for a change of gender on the birth certificate. Unless one went through a pantycrotch checkpoint. There would be no out ward difference between one that had vaginaplasty or one that had an orchi.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

But isn't the "no outward difference" discussion really a ruse of some sort? I have seen women with a penis in bikinis and it is not hard to tell even with an orchiectomy. The same with tights, or tight fitting skinny jeans etc. You could argue that if you are in that condition you don't wear those type of garments yet at the same time isn't that acknowledgement of a need for concealment.

Why conceal anything? Let's embrace the camel hump.

Silver Member
    I don't think Kathryn is talking about the camel's hump so much as the camel's t..
    Lea

I have no o problem hiding in tight skinny jeans. Bikinis and the like are more problematic.
    It is a pointless argument because it comes down to comfort level. It's a very complex issue that involves many different. If a state is willing to change a birth certificate from some sort of body modification or doctor letter to allow an individuals identity documentation to match their identity. More power to them.

I guess some have to worry about concealing things, luckily i don't. Bikini. ....no problem at all. I go to pool parties and no one suspects a thing. Tights, well a nice camel toe.

Still I know, and it bothers me.

my birth state requires surgery that changes the sex. In Florida the law prohibits stating what procedure was done. So the letter from my plastic surgeon who did my face, only said i had surgery which effectively changed my gender, That was accepted and now my birth certificate says female.

good for now.
    Last edited by Angela Campbell; 08-30-2014 at 02:29 PM.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Stefan,

I was not arguing. I don't care about people's anatomy. That was my point. Why conceal anything? So what if there is no camel toe? As for the legal stuff, it really varries by State, Province and region. Where I live, only SRS will get you a new gender marker on documentation.

The only time I care about anatomy is in my sexual preferences, not in the social sphere.

On topic, I have never heard of the surgeon. I would do a lot more research about him. Maybe look on Susan's?

We had a member on this board consider him. But after hearing about his aftercare procedure passed and had a more well known surgeon perform the procedure.