Thread: So proud of my son's acceptance!

So proud of my son's acceptance!

I have shared that I came out to my 11 year old son a few months ago. This was right before I came out publicly in my small suburb town in Marin County outside of San Francisco. I met with his principal at his new middle school letting her know that I am transitioning slowly and would be Suzanne much of the time. I have been to the school as Suzanne during registration. I have signed up for the PTA and as a chorus booster. I plan on fulfilling these obligations as Suzanne unless work schedule will not allow.
    My son came to me after the first. Week of school. He had made a new friend that he was hanging out with during free time at school. He said he would like to go ahead and tell him about Suzanne. When I asked why he said he would just like to already have had the conversation before his friend saw me. I said sure if that is what you want to do. The next day he told the other boy that I was TS. The boy said he had heard about the subject but never met anyone like that. Then he promised my son he would never be mean to him about me being Suzanne. My son was so happy to tell me this.

These are sixth grade boys! I am so proud of my son's courage. I hoped that this process would be a valuable teaching experience for my son. That he would see acceptance and love from me and other people. He has been teaching me! When he is out with me, he holds my hand and shows no apprehension about being with a tall trans woman. I couldn't have been blessed with a more loving son!
    Suzanne

You're not supposed to make me cry at work!

Beautiful story. I <3 Cali.

Congratulations on your changes and your awesome child.
    I'm through accepting limits
    'Cause someone says they're so
    Some things I cannot change
    But 'til I try, I'll never know!
    - Defying Gravity from Wicked

Suzanne, that is so nice, I have found that my grandchildren are much more accepting then there parents are. Good for your son and his friend

Suzanne, thanks for sharing, very nice story!

Hugs, Bria

Platinum Member
    Really great kids!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Gold Member
    Our youth really give me great hope that acceptance levels will continue to rise dramatically.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Suzanne you have truly raised an exceptional son. Enjoy.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.