Thread: A funny thing happened at the job site...

A funny thing happened at the job site...

I wheeled the truck into the farm/jobsite this morning, parking behind one of my cohorts, then caught up a little paperwork. I could see two of our drivers talking to some of the crew, then looking at my truck and laughing. So... I wander up to these jokers to see what was so funny. The foreman, a guy I've worked with off and on over several years, saw me drive in, then asked the other drivers when did they hire a woman driver? When I got close enough he could recognise me, and said to put my ponytail back in, I looked too girlie with my hair blowing around. I wanted to thank him for the compliment, but thought better of it...

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Gold Member
    One must be careful on the job site. It is kind of a "Mans" World, and the thought
    of being integrated with the opposite sex is upsetting.
    I Know...40+ years in the field as a Carpenter Foreman.
    Rader

Banned Read only
    Agreed. 42 years in factories, construction sites and machine shops...

Hi,

Iv never had that over the last few years and im a builder been in heavy construction and now its no different as i,m the one who is in charge, a mans world yes it is yet i,v made inroads so it cant just be only men on the sites ,Iv had our Kaylyn work for me as well ,

lets see 8 years ago i was doing a few jobs as a female on sites i know one or two who came to deliver building gear and so on did look at me and the concrete trucks they were not bothered at all and i got on quite well with them , they soon sorted out who the boss was,

i still get asked to do jobs , because im well known , some times im in my work skirt and tops , as iv said before, im in charge of our museum million $ complex and have men working under me , i think youd find it a bit different over here . ,

What if i turned up in a German uniMog 406 and i have or a b train ,or similer whats this a bloody female driver , plus i have our own two 15 ton trucks .yes they would look no doubt,

I can drive any heavy gear, and i know other women who can and do . so we are moving into this mans world ..... love it, oh a pony tail..... sorry thats one detail i cant do ,

...noeleena...

Platinum Member
    Kinda wish people could grow up. You would think that even truckers would have recognize that women are commonplace in most lines of work.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I don't understand. Are you transitioning? If somebody told me to tuck my ponytail in (especially a foreman) I would tell him to go **** himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Sounds like you are in that awkward stage where your appearance has changed but you haven't transitioned. Get used to strange reactions, it gets more intense when you do transition.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Gold Member
    About 15 years ago, I was running a housing site not far from where I live.
    It was a 100+ degree day, hot and humid.
    A Semi truck pull on to the job site with sod for the houses. I Very Cute Girl
    jumps out of the cab and starts to unstrap the load. She was wearing a hip
    hugger short shorts, and a black bra halter top. This Lady had at least DDD Brest,
    and they where swinging around as she man handled the strapping that held down the load.
    Every one drooped what they where doing for the 20 minuets that she was rolling up the straps.
    It was a Job Stop moment; I could not blame the crew, I had 28 men trying to build
    houses in this heat, and this moment in time was a great way to break up the day.
    Rader

Almost a year on hrt, and the hair is getting long... I'm hoping to do the name change and begin rle in December or January. 37 years of driving 18 wheelers, mostly over the road, I've met many gg drivers, and many can outdrive, out work most men!

These people know me, but I didn't have my hair in a ponytail that morning, it was blowing a bit. Once they saw me out of the truck, they had a good laugh. As for my fellow drivers, we joke around a lot. I'm sure that they've figured out what is going on, as much of the joking is sexually oriented. Please note that none of this is in any way mean spirited towards me; I'm sure it's just how they are able to cope with it, and I get to slowly prepare them for my coming out. Of the eleven guys I work with, I'm very sure that only two of them will have any problems with me transitioning, and they don't count.
    I used to get the stares and occasional guffaw or comment, but of late, I rarely have men look twice, and ladies often look me in the eyes and smile... sort of a warm, welcoming smile. It feels nice...

Leah
    Last edited by Leah Lynn; 08-29-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Interesting experience you have in a male dominated environment. I am a dealer title runner who takes title applications to a county tax office. Unlike you my environment is female dominated.

The gals at the dealership rib me in a good natured way, and one of them even suggested "Johanna Anna" as a name for me so that is what I use on this forum. They see my developing breasts and they want me to be "one of the girls".

Last Thursday they tried to give me a French braid, but alas I have too many layers in my hair. So they settled on simply braiding my hair. I told them for Halloween I am going to wear a dress and heels. They can't wait to meet "Johanna Anna".

I have been on HRT for over two years but I still present primarily as a man with my masculine name "John".

Johanna Anna
    Last edited by JohnH; 08-30-2014 at 11:31 AM.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him