Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feel sorry for young CD's

Feel sorry for young CD's

In my opinion, today's female fashions and lingerie are so boring compared to what I had in the late 60's and early 70's. It was always intoxicating putting on a panty girdle, long line bra and stockings.

The feel of the stocking tops tugging on your garters as you walked was to die for. And then then to feel a full slip gliding over your nylons. Need I say more.
    And of course wearing a dress and heels was considered the norm. No such thing as capris and flip flops.

I was fortunate to be a teen and could easily pass with the help of a female cousin. When pantyhose replaced garters and stockings it was a blast wearing a Marcia Brady style mini dress and STW pantyhose. My cousin and I would go out and I thought the world could see up my dress as I walked on my chunky heels.

Father time has taken it's toll and I could not come close to passing anymore. But I have great memories of a past era. To the young ones, if you ever get the chance to go retro and enjoy true femininity, please do not pass it up.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    If you were never there then I'm not sure you can really understand what it was like. I don't even own any pantyhose! My fantasies are firmly rooted in the 50's. My teenage years. I feel and even look a little like those classy old broads of my youth. Okay, maybe they were a little younger than me now, but thankfully, I've still got it!

I think I understand where you're coming from, but on the other hand, modern fabrics, and in some parts of the world, loosening of fashion rules, give other benefits. Yoga pants, seamless underwear, stockings and stay-ups (thigh highs) that can last more than 2 washes, and don't shred at the drop of a hat. Even without crossing the aisle to the ladies section, young dudes with a bit of courage can find a very different clothing experience to that I had growing up. I am firmly of the opinion that the current increase of interest in road cycling is partly driven by the same things that many on here feel. Going back to the 60's, would you expect to have an event, consisting of many thousands of people, where just about everyone, (the men more than ladies for the most part) wear very revealing, skin tight, brightly coloured, clothing, then go out in public? I'm sure others can think of other examples.

I think your liking for the fashions from the 60s 70s, (and even earlier!) are somewhat driven by nostalgia, and probably more than a little by early imprinting. The first time you get turned on, That, feeling is going to stay with you.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

This is another case of try it, you'll like it!

I couldn't agree more...you younger CDers should experience the 50's/60's undies that seem to be making a comeback these days. I remember wearing my moms circle stitch bras and open bottom girdles with nylons attached. There was always something about the feel of the garters pulling while walking around her bedroom exploring her stuff. Add her full slip to the equation and it was like heaven!
    In the sixties, things started to change...first they replaced garter belts and stockings with pantyhose, which I have a nice collection of. Then they went and changed feminine napkins from the belted kind, to the current stick on ones! Then, to add insult to injury, they started using a material so they would be thinner but as or more absorbent
    I really miss the good old days!

Never adapt or evolve, and die naked ,cold, and alone.
    C'mon, you can't live in the past.

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    My ex GF loved the way I looked in my VS lingerie, that's all I care about.

You're delusional. Today's young cd's have so many more options. The clothing today is smart. Styled well and many vintage fashions at back in style, but modernized. Society is much more open today, which allows greater freedom and acceptance. Strictly from a gender expression point of view. If I had a choice between growing up in the late 60's, early 80' vs late 90's to now. Now is the time. Not then. Evidenced by the number of older CD's closeted from their wives.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Crossdresser-At-Large BillieAnneJean's Avatar
    I am not old enough to have actually seen the first example. But I have seen enough movies, newsreels (something long gone), and photographs (also long gone) to believe that the 40s had great tailoring and subtle style. For the typical woman the fabrics were still mostly natural so they lacked some of the sensuousness except silk and maybe others. With relatively crude foundation garments. Made up for by the stockings and garters.

The 50s had a odd mix of sometimes sexy and some times obscured by the swing dresses. For the typical woman the fabrics were still not very sensuous. But the undies got better, still somewhat crude. The stockings and garters were very feminine and sensuous.

In the 60s the younger women began to have some really great choices. I remember the beginning of the synthetic jersey material, so sensuous and form fitting. The clothing also was very sexy with the shorter hem and the varying width of the sleeves. And the shoes began to have some variety.

The early seventies were somewhat like the late 60s but we all would like to forget the styles of the late 70s through the 90s. Might as well forget the styles of the flip flop and sweats era too.

I have found some really great clothing pieces for my wardrobe. Fabrics that are technologically advanced, sensuous, soft, smooth, an with a little bit of spandex for a very feminine fit. I een have a crinkle dress, fits perfectly. Styles are all over the spectrum, from tailored through voluminous. Tube skirts to double full circle. Blouses that are silk like and flowing to crinkle and form fitting. The undies have all the same form as of days past but with advanced fabrics and power. The thigh highs are sexy in their own way with the uncovered strip of thigh between them and the panty bottom, very sensuous. The variety of shoes today is greater than any time in the past. The colors are everything imaginable.

I believe that today there are more choices for women's apparel than any time in history. There are styles that are from outrageously sexy to outrageously conservative. I believe that right now would be the best time to be a woman, purely for the fashion choices and the tolerance to be able to wear them.

I believe that right now is the best time to be a CDer too for those same reasons. I have a FABULOUS wardrobe mostly from GWs with pieces that are to die for. I have bazillion new items that I need to model and take pictures of, and post. I have been fortunate beyond my wildest dreams to find items that I have been able to use to put together outfits that really make me happy. I am glad that I am CDing now.

This is SO MUCH FUN!!!!!

Biker Twit
    If one is indeed into those retro looks and fashion, it is out there. And, some of it is coming back around, tho with modern materials and construction. I do think we have so many more options today, and things seem to me to b much more comfortable and functional. I'm an 80's girl, and glad to see things like teddys and rompers coming back to the market!

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    I remember growing up, there were rules that the girls were *required* to wear
    dresses. Of course, what I was required to wear made me like them all the more.

I wore my moms hippie looking clothes to school in the 60's. I don't think
    anyone noticed. If they did i wouldn't have cared....lol!

Have to agree with Steph.

My early CDing was in the late 50s so I know of stockings and the Mod 60s pantyhose introduction. But today's CDs have so many more amazing styles to choose from, including the now vintage styles of years gone by.

As Steph says, "Now is the time. Not then."

When I imagine being 16 or 17, living in a tolerant situation and having the imagination to explore sexuality with feminine clothes and makeup, I find it difficult to feel sorry for a young CD.

All I feel is deeply, deeply envious...
    Girl me

Seriously, these days.. young CD's can choose/order/buy whatever they want.. and there are so many styles to choose from!

If you're young and you want to go the vintage 50's style.. that's possible. If you want to go hip casual.. lots of stuff to find. Sparkly clubbing outfits.. the possibilities are endless. And I'm not even talking about the CD's who go the more semi-permanent cosplaying route.

And with websites and shops like Forever 21, ASOS, Boohoo, etc.,.. it's all very affordable.

I think it just depends on what your definition of femininity is.. there is no such thing as "true femininity" IMHO.

I'm not feeling sorry for the young (15-25 years old) CD's. They are living in a world that is so much better and diverse compared to 50 years ago.. heck.. even compared to 10-15 years ago!
    │ Fashion and science geek!

│ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nat.crys.5

│ My blog: http://natcrys.blogspot.com/

Like yourself I remember the old days with joy. I still enjoy things today, however and even the challenges of CDing have changed with the times. Life is what we make it really Hon.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I disagree; I think CDs now have it much easier. There's far more acceptance of transgender people in general, plus there's this thing called the Internet that makes young CDs realize they're not alone. The specific clothing styles are rather beside the point, IMO.

You can find most every vintage style clothing online if you look long and hard enough. (Okay I admit I've done the (not so) hard yards!) The only thing you'll maybe struggle a bit with is the kind of real vintage underwear portrayed on corsetiere.net. They just don't make them like they used to. What concerns outerwear though, you can buy most any style you like, modern or vintage the plethora of options is mind boggling. Besides they didn't have bandage dresses back then.

Diedre - you're kidding right...?

You lost me at "feel sorry for young..." anythings...

I think many of us retain a sentiment for fashion from a younger or more influential era in our lives - I know I do - but I can't bring myself to feel sorry for folk half my age regardless of what fashions are available, in vogue or not.... I'd trade any fashion era for a body I could knock a couple decades off and then take it out in today's more accepting social environment... now that would be interesting...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Banned Read only
    I'm with Katey. After the title it was hard to even read the content. Still, you are simply living in your nostalgia.

Also in my humble opinion, chunky heels are a travesty. I absolutely love all of my sky high stilettos.

i'd much rather have the styles of today than those of 50 years ago or even 20 years ago, especially with underwear, there's so many different colours and patterns available, i have over 50 bras and i still see ones every day where i think "i haven't got one like that"

old style lingerie just looks pretty bland and big in my opinion,

but each to their own.

Thanks, but no thanks grandma I like my lined skirts and pantyhose.

And affordable stuff. And the internet. And more acceptance. And less tuberculosis.

Platinum Member
    Not in the least. Personally, I found this girdles and pointy bras rather absurd. I suppose someone might look back nostalgically at bustles too.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

The thread is mostly about clothing from an earlier age, and I get that and agree. Where there is a demand for such things there will be a supply, and there IS.
    But feeling sorry? No, we had to live with our desires to crossdress alone. No internet, and fear of discovery often got you a trip to the woodshed to, you know, beat that desire out of you. Younger CDers today have choices of styles, more purchasing options (including privacy), support from other like-minded CDers, and greater (but not perfect) tolerance from others.
    This is where the closet dresser has it good: wear anything you like and enjoy it however you choose.

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    Interesting thread. I will agree with Diedre in this respect: lingerie has gone downhill. Not only was it of a much higher quality in yesteryear, but it was so much more feminine. But that's where I draw the line...I certainly don't feel sorry for young CD/TG girls. If they want to wear the retro styles, and many do, they can buy them...so much available online or through thrift shop hunting. But they have access to much more exciting wardrobe options today. The most important point is this...they're living in a world that is slowly becoming much more accepting. TG/TS/CDs have benefited so much through gay rights movements. Back in the 70s, when I grew up, being outed or admitting to being TG often had incredibly negative consequences, and I personally lived in total fear of being found out in the small town I grew up. I think a lot of that has changed. So I'm not shedding any tears for young TG people.

Now, as for young people in general, many of whom seem to expect the world served up to them on a platter because of their priviledged upbringing, that's another story... lol.

Silver Member
    All are great points of view, but IMO we are still individuals that can discover and wear whatever style we choose, or a combination there of, and the general public will (usually) accept us! We always should be comfortable and confident in whatever we wear. Enjoy.