Thread: I am getting ready to go to SCC and go out in public en femme for the first time

Ex prisoner in paradise CostaRicaRachel's Avatar

I am getting ready to go to SCC and go out in public en femme for the first time

I'm kind of excited and nervous at the same time. Reality
    has kind of set in. I have packed my bags to attend SCC and go
    out in public en femme for the first time.

I have been preparing for quite a while. I live in a small beach
    town in Costa Rica so it is difficult to buy things and to get things
    done.

About 1.5 weeks ago I waxed my chest and legs. I shaved them
    again yesterday. I had a little hair on my back. I didn't
    know what to do. There is a beauty salon 4 km away. They don't
    usually have men customers, they waxed my back for $13.

I've packed 4 dresses, 4 skirts, 6 tops, 3 pairs of shoes, 4 bras,
    and more.

1 second I think this will be easy and the next second I can't believe
    I am actually go to do this.

I am seriously thinking of transitioning and I believe this is a big step in accepting
    who I really am.

I'm flying out today, visiting a some friends inn the US for a few days and then off to
    Atlanta on Wed.

Here goes nothing!

Yes, this is truly a big step. You will do great if you remember to put one foot in front of the other, smile, remember you belong there, and try to relax.
    here goes a lot, but you will rock it!

The most important thin: Don't lock yourself up in your room.

You're right. It's both exciting and scary at the same time. But it's the best place to come out. You'll have 500 potential friends.

And the hotel staff will be very accommodating. This is big business for the hotel, and it's held there every year.

So go for it. Take it all in.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Good Luck! I'm sure you'll find it is was worth the initial stress.

Banned Read only
    It is far easier than you believe right now. Once out the door of your hotel room, you won't even think about being dressed. It's kind of an amazing thing that happens. Hold your head up. Own it. Also, remember that you are not THE cross dresser out and about. You will be among many.

Platinum Member
    Relax and let it happen. You'll have a blast and when it is over, you'll have great memories to bring home to Costa Rica ...what could be better?
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Gone to live my life
    Hi Rachel,

As many have said the biggest barrier will be your hotel door . . . don't let it stop you. If you are ready to face the world, take a deep breath, turn the door knob, open the door then step out into the hallway. You will have lots of support when you get to the event. Good luck sweetie.

Hugs

Isha

Good luck Rachel...

I'm sure all your preparation will be to good effect and you'll be alright on the night...

Have a great time and do let us know how it goes once all the excitement is over...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    good luck...thats a REALLY big event and there will be lots of gals there...take comfort in that, and have fun! I'm jealous I would love to go but from here in NY that turns into a 1200.00 week...and that does not include the bar tab.

Hi Rachel,

I hope you have a great time at SCC, I know you will.

As others have said, don't hide in your hotel room. You're among friends so you don't have anything to fear once you step outside that door. If you are a little anxious about making that first step you can always ask the SCC staff for some help. They have volunteers who provide the hand holding for new girls coming to SCC for the first time.

While the hotel and staff provide a safe and comfortable environment if you feel a little daring you can always step outside and see some of Atlanta. There are several lovely restaurants in the immediate area and the hotel provides a free shuttle service. Also there is a very large shopping mall if you want to pick up a new outfit or two.

Don't worry about how much clothing you're bringing. I think we all bring way too much.

Best of luck and do let us know how it turns out.

I think I would give that a try if there are going to be as many there as the members here have said. I would be nervous also but I truly believe that would be the only way I would be able to step out that door. I admire you and want to hear how things go. Bet you'll have fun after you realize your fear is only nerves. Have fun.

I'll be right there with you in spirit girl!! That sounds soo fun!
    CD? I'm never cross when dressed
    More like HF.. Happy Femulator. Julie's Flickr page
    Amateur/DIY Photos adjusted for exposure and white balance only, except to obscure background All rights reserved.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I haven't been to SCC but I have been to Diva Las Vegas and once you break that barrier called the door of your room, you will have a great time. If you think it is going to be a problem, you may want to find a Big Sister who can help you get out that first time. You won't be the only one there for the first time or going out for the first time, so they have pieces in place to make it easier for this to be the best time possible.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

From what I have seen on the SSC website. There should be approx. 700+ visitors. I will most likely be attending on the Sept. 3rd. I have my endocrinologist appointment on that day to get my blood levels checked since I'm on HRT. I figured since I'll be in town anyways, I might as well stop by!
    The longer I walk down this road I call a journey, the more I realize that it's not about passing or not passing. It's about being true to myself and being able to look in the mirror and say to my reflection... "Perfect"

Ex prisoner in paradise CostaRicaRachel's Avatar
    Well, I survived my first time out at SCC and it was great!

I wanted to arrive Wed afternoon so I could go out Wed
    evening en femme for the first time, but it was not to be.

I got to the airport at 5 am on Wed, flew into Ft Lauderdale. I had
    a 6 hour layover so I went shopping for makeup, nail polish, hair spray.
    (I live in a small pueblo in Costa Rica, the right color of makeup is kind of
    hard to find)

I was mentally ready for my debut, but the flight kept getting delayed and
    delayed and delayed. The anticipation was killing me. I finally arrived
    at the hotel in Atlanta at 11:30 pm, I was tired and soaking wet from walking
    in the rain from the Marta station to the hotel.

I was too tired to get dressed and go out. I tried to put on finger nail
    and toe nail polish, but that turned into a big mess. (I had never done it
    before.) I went to bed thinking this was going to be a disaster. Boy,
    was I wrong!

The next morning, I put on my favorite dress, a dark sky blue sleeveless fit and
    flare dress (I bought online at old navy), a wide bright red belt, black 2 inch
    pumps.

I had never put on makeup before. Before coming I watched a number of videos on
    youtube on how to put on makeup. So I put on makeup.

I really did not want to wear a wig, every time I tried it on, I did not think
    it looked right and the hair kept getting in my eyes. But I put the wig on anyway.
    combed it until I found a style I liked and then tried some hairspray to keep it
    in place. It felt pretty good.

Now the moment of truth, I went to the full length mirror and had a look. I was
    surprised, maybe it was just wishful thinking, but I thought I looked pretty
    good.

I walked out the door and never looked back. I can't describe how good it felt.

I'm not sure if I really looked good or not, but a few things happened that made
    me think I looked OK.

When I registered, I mentioned I was an FTO, and the woman said looked really
    nice. That made me feel good, maybe I really did look alright. But I'm guessing
    she said that to everyone.

Thursday, I attended 4 seminars. I saw the hotel had a gym. I have always
    wanted to workout en femme. So I put on a pair of black leggings, a tight
    black short sleeve t-shirt and my black converse all sneakers and worked out
    for 45 minutes. It was probably the most enjoable workout I have ever had. I worked
    out 45 minutes en femme, everyday. It was fun. I think I made some of the
    people in the gym uncomfortable, but, what's a girl to do.

I got cleaned up put on a white pleated skirt and a black ruffled sleeveless
    top and went out. I was in the Bistro, and believe it or not, I was very
    flattered when another trans woman tried to pick me up. It was pretty
    funny, first she told me how attractive I was. (I'm not sure she really thought
    that, it may have just been a line)

Later she mentioned it was embarrassing once when a number of condoms fell
    out of her bag. Then the subject of sex came up... during this discussion
    I mentioned I had never been with a man or transwoman before. Her friend came
    over and put the hard sell on for a minute, then when they saw I wasn't interested,
    they moved on to another transwoman. (The funny thing is, I might be willing
    to go out with another trans woman, but so much is happening right now, I am
    not prepared for it now.)

The next morning, I wore a turquoise gypsy skirt and a long sleeve light
    navy blouse. The next morning, I was walking to a seminar, I'm not
    sure if the GG thought she knew me, but she just walked up and said "You
    look so great in that color". I was stunned, I can't remember what I said.
    I was beginning to think, maybe I don't look that bad.

The next morning I wore a peach t-shirt dress with a wide black belt. (I
    bought online from long elegant legs). When I went to lunch, I sat down with
    a couple of transwomen I had spoken with a number of times. When I sat down
    one of them, Sarah, just blurted out, "You look so nice in that color, you
    should wear it more often." I'm just surprised, I'm not used to people
    saying things like this to me. I'm not sure what I said, if anything.

I only left the hotel once, a friend gave me a ride to the ATM. It
    was fun! There were 2 other people in line at the ATM, they just ignored
    me.

I was thinking about posting a photo of me, but I don't think I want
    a photo of me en femme floating around the internet. I'm not out,
    only 1 of my friends know I do this and that was kind of by accident.

I know this too long, but I don't have any friends I can share this
    with so I am sharing this with you.

But to sum up my first time out in public at SCC, it was fantastic,
    I can't remember ever feeling so energized. It was as if this
    immense pressure on my brain had been released.

The only time I was in my room was to sleep and to change clothes.
    I felt like I could stay up all night, the only reason I would go to bed,
    was because things were wrapping up, and it was time. I would put on my night
    gown and I just slept so good. When I woke up in the morning, I was just
    so excited to get dressed and go out.

Thursday, I attended 4 seminars, Friday 3 and Sat 2. I met and spoke with
    a lot of transwomen and transmen in all different phases of transition.
    I learned a lot about myself and the trans community in general. I more
    fully understand many, many things.

All in all, it was a fantastic experience, I was sorry to see it end.
    I am hoping to find more opportunities like this where I can live as
    myself for a few days.

Rachel,

I'm so glad you had a wonderful time at SCC.

I found that you have to decide whether you're going to attend seminars or party because the schedule doesn't allow you to do both. I'm not a night person and if I wanted to see an 8 a.m. seminar I have to get my beauty sleep.

Yes, I've also been hit on while at SCC. I'd had too much to drink and a gentlemen approached me. I politely declined his attention and he honored my wishes. Still, it scared the $*#& out of me! I was so flustered I almost called my wife to ask her what to do, but was more afraid of her reaction than the male admirer. I asked a couple of girlfriends for help and they rallied around to keep me safe. I guess I shouldn't have had that 4th martini at Agatha's.

The next time you go to SCC, and there will be a next time, step out side the hotel and go somewhere. There are some group events going on. If you don't want to go with the group then just going to a nail salon is a fun and relaxing time. Window shopping at the mall can be fun and Sephora is a great place to get makeup advice.

Just some ideas.
    Love,
    Linda W.

Hi Rachel: So thrilled for you....way to go girl ! sure beats my trips out to Payless and Walmart etc...
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...