Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting old :( A bad case of the Kneesals.

Getting old :( A bad case of the Kneesals.

I've been noticing lately that my legs,especially around the knees, are getting really old looking. This bums me out because my legs were always my best feature.

I hate the look of skirts or dresses that hit below the knees, not just on me... on everyone. Looks frumpy... like my freshman year English teacher. And leggings are OK, but a little out of place here in the desert.

I may be "getting a little long in the tooth", as Daphne said on Fraiser about her transvestite uncle in San Francisco.
    Cara

Oh dear, Cara...

Ultimately we're all afflicted by the march of time and all we can do is go with it as best we can... and I know what you mean about 'frumpy'... I've had a few tries in dresses recently that when I looked in the mirror, just put on a decade rather than taking one off! That ain't the way it's supposed to be...

I can't think of any really obvious fashion ploys to counter that... perhaps a pair of youthful, over-the-knee pirate boots...? Very trendy if still not desert wear... It's difficult because so many older women do just look frumpy... but some don't. Maybe take a look at those that continue to dress classy and take cues from them...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Maxi dresses and skirts are all the fashion now.
    I wear them a lot , but like the short skirts better just getting older too.
    Capris are all over in the south here. Not as fem. but
    seems to be what GG's wear.

I agree with Charlene. I love some of my maxi skirts as much as my shorter ones. It took a bit for me to buy one the first time but the swish of a full maxi skirt feels great. I am 60 and know how you feel. Of course panty hose cover a lot of sins also. I am sure you will find a look that you like.
    Hugs
    Ellen Jo
    Somtimes the light's all shining on me, Other times I can barely see.
    Lately it's occured to me.....What a long strange trip it has been.
    Truckin by the Grateful Dead

Platinum Member
    Hi Carla, It sounds like it's time fir a pair of sheer leg energy pantyhose.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Gone to live my life
    Hi Cara,

Charlene and Ellen beat me to the punch . . . maxi dresses. Very trendy and chic right now for all ages.

Hugs

Isha

Reality Check
    You know, GGs go through the same aging process. That's why most older women don't wear the too tight, too short skirts. For me, I think the longer skirts look better on me, not only because of my age, but for the proportions between top and bottom.

Your right about long in the tooth.... Even though the saying I think originally applied to a horse... But it happens to us all. I try and stay in some sort of shape by staying as active as I can and do a lot of walking. Support hose helps but they are hot here in Texas also and I sweat like a sponge being wrung out. I have found we can help turn the clock back by just flat out exercising and eating right but I find myself not staying with it the older I get. I will get these spurts of I'm gonna stay young attitudes and then about two weeks of working out I fall back into the old trap of eating too much and putting off the exercise. As some on here have already stated I guess we just have to roll with the ages. I just really don't like frumpy though.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    So far the legs are holding ... except for the arthritis and DVT. The DVT means I must wear compression stockings all year round. No choice ... "There goes the overdressed crossdresser" On the other hand Cara, medical stockings are a solution to any leg appearance problem.

Oh, I don't do frumpy either Katey

Maxi skirts that are slit or wrap, clingy maxi dresses, or even well-made dress slacks are all great. I find the way the reveal a hint of cleavage or leg, or the way the fabric falls over the butt to be extremely sexy and age appropriate for a 52 year old.

Just yesterday I saw a GG friend in a maxi dress that looked very hot on her. I was very interested in the appearance because she is built about like a guy in the waist/hips department although she has really good boobs. The maxi hides the proportions from the boobs down and so is a good choice for those of us that need to hide some stuff. Maxi skirts work also as well as capris and straight leg pants.

Getting old isn't for sissies, but at 73 I try to dress appropriately for a 60s lady.

Hugs, Bria

Banned Read only
    I totally agree with recommending maxi dresses. I bought two this summer to add to three others I have. I'm six foot even and the dresses hit the tops of my feet. Being six foot many of the dresses I have purchased on eBay that are designed for shorter women than my six foot hit me just below the knees. The midi on a six foot guy turns into a knee length dress.

My wife's cousin is relocating at the end of the year to Phoenix. I just shake my head. If you have lived in western Washington State with its mild winters (rainy yes) and pleasant summers, I would never relocate to a place with summer heat of 115 degrees (and temps are taken in the shade). I read you're in your 50's. I'm older than you by a decade. My legs use to be my best feature. Now? Spider veins all over. The gams are still shapely but are in dire need of hosiery. We cannot totally stop the aging process. There are many attractive clothing choices out there without looking old and frumpy.

Aspiring Member
    My legs are still holding. However, I need wear compression stockings, but I can get those that look perfect on my legs for the wearing of short skirts, which I like.

Thanks to Isha, I have taken a liking to maxi dresses. I certainly don't have any problem with them.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Personally, I think (as many others do) that below the knee pencil skirts can be sexy and feminine.

Fortunately, my eyesight seems to be failing as rapidly as my body deteriorates. So the worse I look, the less I'm able to notice it.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

As Blue Orchid said perhaps sheer energy pantyhose is the ticket. In any case I personally prefer long dresses and skirts to dance in and no way do I look frumpy. I guess you might say "it's all in the hips"
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Bria View Post
    Just yesterday I saw a GG friend in a maxi dress that looked very hot on her. I was very interested in the appearance because she is built about like a guy in the waist/hips department although she has really good boobs. The maxi hides the proportions from the boobs down and so is a good choice for those of us that need to hide some stuff. Maxi skirts work also as well as capris and straight leg pants.

Getting old isn't for sissies, but at 73 I try to dress appropriately for a 60s lady.

Hugs, Bria
    Bria... Good for you going strong at 73! I'm 59 turning 60 in December and I admire your spirit...sometimes I think why bother as I get older..then I remember why I love doing this! I just do..haha!

Banned Read only
    Cara I know you don't say how old your legs are but obviously the rest of you feels younger !
    Pencil skirts can work well if you have the figure and want to cover your knees and still look good, when it cools off some you can wear knee high boots and look knockout !!

I am sixty. Personally, pencil skirts look best on tall skinny women which I am none.
    As it is getting cooler, I'll get back on my bike, and start doing some leg extensions to try to tighten up my quads.
    If that doesn't work, I'll take a class in photo shop.
    Cara

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'm over 70 and for as long as I can remember my naked legs have been butt ugly.

So, what I do is always wear nude tites! They hide the freckles, age marks, and battle wounds. It's not easy to tell I'm wearing them either. Even in daylite.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Eager To Learn
    What a great thread!! I am over 70 and have to question the whole CD thing, maybe I am too old for such things, but this thread gives me some hope. Thanks for the comments.

I feel the worst part of getting old is the Arthritis. I find it so hard to put on tight shape wear or compression wear because my hands, shoulders and knees are very arthritic. People say that my outside still looks good but I tell them that the inside is shot. It really hurt just to bend over to strap the heels on. But I don't care how bad it hurt, it feels so good to get dressed.

I just started with the long dresses but still like the short ones but only venture out in long ones or leggings. The nude tights sounds like a good tip too. I'll be 70 in Dec., So as my mom used to say "Hang in there." Jaymee
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

It's nice occasionally to wear a short skirt or short dress for the fun of it, but being realistic, I don't have the figure to match. (potential understatement of the year).

The upside is that I find longer skirts and dresses really comfortable to wear - so "go maxi and enjoy" is my motto of the moment. Long skirts do feel nice.

I am 60, dysfunctional old bachelor! I hope to go to a symphony concert next month, God willing my car is running well! I hope to wear one of my longer skirts or dresses, mid calf. Now, for guts to just go! The right hose or tights can make any legs look nice! Sometimes Miss, I hear you about eyesight. Mine is blurry more and more. Lutein and Bilberry, and Vit D, and A, can help.
    Last edited by Alice Torn; 09-22-2014 at 06:40 PM.