Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we care what our neighbors think?

At one time I cared, now if I'm going out I dress and am not bothered who sees me. I'm not very close to my neighbors and I think I look different enough that they may not realize it is me.

Banned Read only
    I just got in from a walk and met some of my neighbors to the front of my house on the way back. We ended up chatting for over an hour. After a few months here, most of my neighbors don't seem to give me a second thought. Some of them were a bit standoffish but now seem not to care anymore now that they realize I'm no threat to them or their children. Now many of the men who kind of showed me attitude come out when I am talking to their wives and are at least polite, especially since I've lost a bunch of weight and had some after market parts added to enhance my appearance. Standing there talking to them in a pair of volleyball shorts and a sports bra makes me think it's kind of funny that I can hold their attention so easily now! Not too bad for an older "lady"

I live in a nice neighborhood, meaning everyone watches out for each other. I will dress at home, but put men's jeans over skirts, pants, or women shorts. Put sweatshirts over women's tops especially when having bra and forms. I have had the courage to walk around in heels at home but move extremely quick around windows. Hate to think that others are judging me. Grew up going to church, listening to sermons and lessons, and remember all the gossip that was passed around by my parents on the way home. Really, we just got out of church and it starts that quickly. This journey has required I be more perceptive to others and tolerant of things that may seem out of the norm of my upbringing. But, what is the norm. I stop and look at every woman I see while out as a guy and try to greet or acknowledge each of them in a respectful manner. Who knows, they could be one of us, or know someone like us. Or I just might get some insight into this alter-ego living inside of me. I have been walking around this summer with painted nails and shaved legs, and if the neighbors are talking, then better than talking about all the other garbage going on in the world. Maybe I can open a few minds and help to create understanding in the neighborhood. Or, we move to the country and no one will have to know what I am doing.

Quote Originally Posted by MsVal View Post
    I don't care about what others think.
    My wife cares about what others think
    I care about what my dear wife thinks.

(I've been the source of her discomfort too many times already, and have a strong desire not to do it again.)
    Oh yes, Ms Val! Excellent! On my iPhone now and will chime in more tomorrow.

Jay

I do not care what they think

I always find this idea of nosey neighbours hard. We all look out of windows etc at what is going on but that should be where it stays. I see old 60-70 year old women walk down the street to the shop about 200 yards from in just a nightie and slippers which I think is gross and wrong but I would not say anything to them as it is not mu business what they wear....

Same should apply to us. As long as we cause no harm what should it matter? If people don't like it, that is their problem not ours. I would go mental if a neighbour asked if I was wearing a bra as someone mentioned before (on my phone so cannot check).

Human nature can be very sad at time.
    Last edited by KlaireLarnia; 09-02-2014 at 02:20 AM. Reason: spelling errors

Sadly, as someone who owns a bar, I have to take into considerations the thoughts of my customers

I cannot afford to lose any trade just because someone who spends a lot of money on drink is narrow-minded

Living in a small village, people know who has sneezed before they get their hanky out!!!!!

I am currently in the position of having to wait for the letter from my psychiatric counsellor so I can say I have a legitimate excuse for dressing like I do!
    People try to put us down
    Just because we get around

I don't particularly care, except to the extent that it might make things uncomfortable for my family.

I'm pretty sure my neighbor across the street has seen me coming and going dressed, but she has not mentioned anything and neither have I. Since my eventual goal is to live 24x7 female, I suppose the neighbors are all going to know in the end.

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    I don't care. now if i could only convince them not to care! lol!

Yes, I care about what my neighbors think because we are neighbors, and do neighborly things like looking out for each other, sharing, etc. Having said that, I do not hide who I am and have come out to some of them. Now when I am out and about, I don't worry about being seen or recognized.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

neighbours = trouble...!!...ours are great, really lovely people, put themselves out to help, invite us round to evenings all the time...and therefore it makes my life hell in trying to dodge them...pretty much got caught the other day walking out dressed up...one close neighbour was at her garage door and looking over...I did all the wrong things...stopped and retreated in doors making myself look twice as obvious...only waving my arms in the air and screaming would have been worse....I just hope their good nature extends to trans folk....??!!

Ok, it's not that I care what they think, but for me, it's a matter of simple courtesy.

I live in a nice neighborhood of single family houses and am on pleasant terms with my neighbors on either side of me, one a divorcee of similar age, one a married couple with three children, and a retired couple across the street. I'm facing this now, because I'm tired of doing a quick change just to go to the mailbox, so I'm in the process of chatting with them the next time I see them. They're all pretty conservative, but friendly, so I just think I owe it to them to explain a little, that way I can answer any questions they might have with the hope that the more people who have a chance to be "enlightened" about this, then the better off we'll all be going forward...Call me a dreamer:-)

But the main reason for me, is that one set of neighbors have three girls under the age of 6, and I think it only decent of me to let them know that there's not a pervert living next door. Granted, they might think that anyway, but at least it gives them a fighting chance to get over any misconceptions...If I lived in an apartment complex with people moving in and out, then I wouldn't give a rip, but these folks are long-term neighbors. So, while I don't really care what they think, I also don't want to judge them by assuming how narrow-minded they are.

Jaye
    Satchel was right, something is gaining on me...And God bless the creator of e-cigs!

After i moved into this rental house over four yrs ago, I went into the bigger city, under dresed, then stopped and removed my guy covering clothes. After dark, i drove home, and got out, and the night flood lights came on! There was my neighbor lady, who i already let knwo, but, kids, and the lady across the street, were talking at her, and i was all lit up by the flood lights. i said a few things and went in. Those neighbors across the street, moved next door, later. I have said hello to the woman and her two sons, but, they never answer me, ever. I guess they are convinced of the deviant loner next door. On a Holloween night, i walked over to the drug store across the street, and back. I may have been seen again. Sad, that some people will not accept a hello, after years.

I use to jolt to the mailbox every now and then fully to the nine's but I can't do that where I live now. So Yes I care but like Jennifer said, It's how we are made to think and hopefully at some point in time I may not care anymore but for now I do so it is what it is.
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Reality Check
    We all care what people think of us, even if we claim that we don't. It's part of being human.

I care what my neighbors think of me because I own my home in a nice neighborhood. It migh be different if I was twenty years old and living in a motel or cheap appartment and knowing that I would be moving on. It might be different if I was openly gay.

A bigger concern for me is the possibility of embarassing my wife. She knows and accepts my dressing but she foesn't want neighbors, friends or family members to know about it.

I do not cars what my neighbors think. I check the mail dressed all the time but my nearest neighbor is a quarter mile away.

Careful I bite <3
    I do care because I want to have a good relationship with people. I like to be friendly with the world, and to meet people. I also grew up mostly in one VERY small area of a big city, with similar groups of people my age all the time.

I don't care, because odds are if I don't give them time to think to much, they won't. Also I've found most people to be pretty nice on the surface, and most of my neighbors I rarely go beyond that.

Nope, not really!
    And surprisingly when I began going out 10 years ago my wife surprised me. I mentioned being seen and she said "So what?, I don't care what they think if you don't!".
    That made me feel great and now neither of us cares. We've taken afternoon walks together through the neighborhood and seen some of the neighbors, said hi and such and never had a comment, so no worries here.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I didn't care before I was married. I didn't know many of them. Now that I'm married my wife has made friends with almost all of them. If they were to see me dressed they would tell my wife and that would be the end of this marriage.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

Banned Read only
    I don't live in a vacuum. For those of us who are married to a wife who is not appreciative of cross dressing and the potential scorn it may bring, I decline to run he streets as Stephanie. On occasion I have under the cover of darkness ventured forth and strolled other residential neighborhoods. I guess if I was single and lived in an apartment I could always move, if outing myself turned out to be an unwise thing to do.

I do care to some extent what they think. They are a nice friendly family and I don't want them to think ill of me. I care more however because I'm in the closet and don't want anything said to my wife. I'm lucky enough to have an attached garage and my car windows are tinted so I can pretty much come and go by car freely.

The Mad Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by im-sparkles View Post
    I care. I live in a small town (about 1500 people) where i grew up and my family goes back 150 yrs and are very well know. Not to mention i was captain of the football team in high school. If people knew about me my wife and kids would pay for it.Im fine with the closet here at home for now. However going out of town Im fine with total strangers judging me! Im happy being a sexy girl!!
    I'm in much the same situation. I would never bring this on them here.
    However, I don't know if I will ever try the going out of town let Wendy paint the town gig.

Platinum Member
    Hi Jill, I'm a good neighbor and I expect the same from others.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

If it is about cd ing or partial cd ing I don't really care what they think
    I am just me and don't flaunt it
    On the other hand I have one neighbour who sometimes puts my makeup on and one time another asked to vorrow nail polish as she was going out
    We just laughed

My neighbors are mostly college students in apartments, I don't talk to them and they don't talk to me. The turnover is quite frequent, so they aren't around very long. Lately I have been getting bolder, going out in the yard to do something in a dress or skirt in broad daylight, but making sure first that nobody is around. Its quite exhilarating and I am doing it more often these days. I don't really care what they think. Small steps. One of these days I will get up the nerve to go out in public in a dress or skirt.