Thread: Topsy Turvy World aka: So you are in the process of changing your name……

Gold Member

Topsy Turvy World aka: So you are in the process of changing your name……

Had a nice day of chores ahead of me and decided that I would make a “quick” run to Park City to check out a shoe store that I heard had my size. After I was done (I found two pairs, thank you), I drove off and pulled on the highway down through the canyon. This is a rather busy road with 18 wheelers trying to brake a lot because of the momentum and traffic. So I get all the way to the left and just a few miles later, everyone in front of me is jamming on their brakes. I jump on mine and it wasn’t a problem until I see this minivan coming right at me from behind. Thankfully when I got crushed, I was able to head between the car in front of me and the concrete barrier to the left. So I check myself and I am okay, so I jump out to check on the other car. The mom and four kids are all fine. I tell her I will call for help. I look at the back of my poor, old car with 190,000 miles on it and the bumper is barely hanging on along with some heavy metal barely attached (I assume for mounting the bumper), and the exhaust system only attached at the engine.

I call the police and give them our rough position and ask for a tow truck for my car. I call my brother in law to come get me. Then I start pulling out my paperwork and it hits me. My license says Susan and the registration and insurance card say Steve. Ah, the land of in between. Thankfully I had previously decided to keep the court order in my purse, so I pull it out. The officer arrives and checks on the other car first. When he comes up, he asks me if I am okay. When I say I am, he asks for my paperwork. I look at him and go “I think you are about to have a unique experience. I am going through a name change, so my license says Susan and my other documents say Steve. So I am also giving you my court order for the name change so you can put two and two together.” Not a problem as the officer is a professional.

Now the tow truck driver pulls up. The officer recommends that I grab my stuff and sit in his car so my car can be towed. The car is already running and I get out and pop the trunk to get my bags. I go around back to retrieve the bags and all of a sudden, the car is moving forward and the bumper clips the back of my legs. I let out a loud, and very low, “Stop”. The bumper snaps off, saving my legs and the tow truck driver comes back apologizing. He was ma’aming me, so I don’t think he picked up on the voice. And at this point, my only interaction with the other driver was the initial contact, so it is probably all Susan with her.

After that, it was all downhill. I filled out the paperwork in police car and he made it all out as Susan and helped me with my bags. I then was driven out of the canyon where we met up with my brother and sister in law.

So now I get home and am ready to call my insurance. Guess what? The paperwork says Susan but the only changes I have made to this point are my passport, license, and social security card. The insurance is shut down for the weekend, but it looks like I get to call my insurance and work the name mismatch while getting the claim in. Then if I get a rental car, it will probably be Steve picking it up in Susan’s name since it is a work day and I am not there at work yet.

Do you believe I will be performing all my name changes as fast as possible?

Oh, I should have said it. But I am fine. Even a few hours later the back and neck feel good. So a hot pad to be safe and early to bed for the rest.

It will never go as fast as you would like. A year later I am still finding stuff to change. Pm me and I can send you an extensive list. Change your name with the 3 major credit reporting agencies as soon as possible. I forgot about them. When
    I financed 3 business vehicles in my new name, but when I just went for a business loan, they originally wrote the loan in mmy old name and required the court order even though I have full documentation of my new identity, including birth certificate.

If you are not out to work yet, how do you handle payroll? I would have thought work would have been primary before name change.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 09-02-2014 at 03:27 AM. Reason: We don't request members' personal details and there is an email facility on the forum
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

I notified work about 6 months prior. Went to court one morning, to social security in the afternoon, dmv and then the bank the following morning.

Came out to work at that time. Still plenty of work to be done now even after 7 months.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Thank goodness you're okay! The paperwork of an auto accident is frustrating enough without the name game.

This gives me more to prepare for in the next few months. I am taking notes with every post about name/sex change.

Hugs,

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Gold Member
    Stephanie, payroll is electronically deposited. Neither work nor my bank has Susan on them as I will change them in sync. Of course if I have to get a new car and see my bank for a loan, there may be a new twist. My plans have been quite solid through all of this but I feel some fluidity coming on.

Leah, I was doing the same. I believe I will come up short, which is no great surprise. It is a lot to think of.
    Last edited by PretzelGirl; 09-01-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Opening up a new bank account was one of the first things I did. As well as changing payroll. I didn't bother changing my name on our joint account as I just removed myself from the account. I made it a priority to change all my financial records as soon as possible.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

I'm so glad you're OK.

And how cute is that? All these years I've known you, I have never imagined you had another name but Sue. Well I promise to flush "Steve" from my memory banks as quickly as it got there. It really doesn't suit you . Good lesson about taking those 'complete' steps in transition.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

LOL

My name change was legal on 7/12/12 and my old name still pops up on occasion. I sometimes think it will never go away.

I guess that's what happens when you live 40+ years as a dude. Glad to hear you're okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Silver Member
    Glad you are alright Sue. That is the most important thing.

It does get awkward for a while until your ID matches everywhere. I went through bankruptcy early in transition and it was kind of a mess with all of it, but everyone was polite and professional, and seemed understanding about the situation.

Gold Member
    I have to admit, it is already bringing things to light, so it can be good for me being quicker about changing things. Friday was going to a "change name" day already, I just may have some different focus. But my bank accounts are first up and work is Thursday or Monday (my other post has me debating moving it up). Friday is pay day anyway, so everything should match for the deposit, then I have two weeks to re-match them. Then if I go car shopping, it can be Saturday. We will see if I sense a difference in treatment......

Yes, Sara. Steve has to hit the history books. I have my 50+ years, so I am sure I will see what Misty sees. I know I can't yet change my military records. We'll see if there are any other roadblocks.

I just came out of bankruptcy myself. I was asking about a name change while still in it and the lawyer said no problem. I thought it would be a barrier as it would look like trying to get away with something. But it seems if you speak up, you usually have a way around many things.

And I am glad I am alright. The next three weeks are pretty big to starting the social transition for many, so staying a little spry will help.

I'm glad you're OK.

I attacked like a dog with a bone. The morning after I got my name change I got all new ID, with correct gender markers. After that I just started driving. Bank, utilities, Doctors office, cable co. The list is almost endless. Ironically, when I thought I was completely finished, my sister misplaced her phone. She asked me to call her phone. It started ringing inside the sofa, so I retrieved it. I looked at call display on her phone...Paul. Darn, I can't think of everything!

My story of government shenanigans- I used my Doctor's letter to get the gender marker change on my drivers license, Health insurance card, and Social insurance card (Canadian social security) All these offices accepted the letter without question. Then I went to get my birth certificate, I gave them this same letter, and they said it was incomplete. Huh? They said my Doctor had not put his license number on it! The same letter everyone else said was perfect! I said I could get his license number from the internet. Not good enough, it has to be typed into the body of the letter. LSS, My Dr. gave me a new letter. The left hand can not agree what the right hand should be doing.

I'm glad you're alright, Sue.

About payroll and direct deposit. As long as the routing number and the account number do not change, then the name on the deposit does not really matter much. The bank just sees a plain old deposit in their computer system as long as there is not anything funky to raise any red flags like excessive deposit amounts or extra deposits outside your normal activity. I ran into a situation where I found this out and I won't go into details about it, but let's just say it was a huge mess that eventually got fixed after a lot of hair pulling.

Liz
    The source of fear is in the future
    And a person freed of the future
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

Gold Member
    Elizabeth, that is what I was thinking when I planned it the way I did.

I called my insurance this morning and the very first thing I told him was that I had a name change and the name on my insurance records wasn't correct. He didn't care and said unless he needed to pull the accident report, it didn't matter. He did tell me the claim would run over night. So I took the afternoon off and called the main number for my insurance and changed my name in a few minutes. We'll see if that overnight run picks it up.

Why did I take the afternoon off? Well, a little soreness did settle in and I got a sore throat. Not the sign I wanted, so I figured I would rest, fix the insurance, and arrange a rental. But the kicker. I called the insurance company for the other person to get them to pay for the rental. The account number was invalid and the name wasn't found in their database. Hmm.... I called the police to pass it on, but they won't take any input until the accident report is filed. So I guess I am calling back in 3-5 days.

Paula, since I am taking a little down time, I am trying to call in a few that can be done over the phone. Friday will be my attack day as I plan on being up early and hitting the banks and rolling from there.