Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Litmus test - four questions

Litmus test - four questions

I acknowledge this is an unscientific inquiry.

The band Rush has probably one of the higher ratio of male fans.

Ergo, one might assume the 'average' CD will like the band less than men as a whole.

1 So, do you identify with CD TG TS or other specification?

2 Do you like Rush?

3 Why or why not?

4 Do you thing your gender identity has any influence on the music you listen to?

extra credit (??) Can you thing of a male band that is divided along the lines of conventional genetic gender?

Me:
    (1):TG
    (2):very
    (3):excellent lyrics, music, and voice- second or third perhaps only to Brad Delp or Freddie Mercury,
    (4): No. I love the energy, fun, and conviction of the band,
    (ec): Ultravox (+female)? Journey(+female)? Devo(+male)?
    Last edited by Krististeph; 09-02-2014 at 12:20 PM.

CD, I have heard of Rush, couldn't tell you what they sing, I believe music is more a reflection of what we were listening to as kids and what emotion we want to have portrayed in our day to day lives. I like classic country, southern/classic Rock, pre-pop country (80's through 90's). So I would assess from this, that I must have more to explore in my cding adventure since I have heard of Rush, but couldn't tell you if I have listened to them.

Now I have to go and find out what they sung. Will keep you posted if I am converted.

Oh! That Rush. I have listened to their songs and enjoy them, but never knew who sung them. They always reminded me of Fleetwood Mac or Heart. So, cding is just something I enjoy. Not something influenced by my listening choices.
    Last edited by Tiffany Jane; 09-02-2014 at 12:31 PM.

My wife likes football and prefers pants. Does that make her TG? There is no definition of what is definitely 'male' or 'female.' Even trends and preferences are not absolute indicators of any particular gender orientation. I never liked playing with dolls growing up, but my niece liked playing with trucks. I am TG and my niece is happily a typical teenage girl now. It is, however, a very male characteristic to categorize and label behaviors, something many cross-dressers seem very pre-occupied with as if marking all the right boxes will make everything better.
    REBEL WITHOUT A CLOSET!
    All trans* girls are NOT created equal. https://www.flickr.com/photos/emi_again/

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    I view myself as being somewhere on the transgendered scale.

I am Canadian. Therefore I LOVE Rush.

Why do I see myself as transgendered? I love to feel and look pretty. I think that's pretty much TG. Why do I love Rush? Because I'm Canadian...and because they are the best three man rock band ever (sorry, ZZ Top fans).

Gender effect on music? None.

Banned Read only
    1) I'm a woman.
    2) Yes, I like Rush.
    3) They were popular when I was young, all my friends liked them, so I liked them too.
    4) No, my gender identity has no influence on my musical tastes. Indeed, out of all the myriad things about me that have changed since I started transition, my taste in music hasn't changed one iota.

Quote Originally Posted by Emi_ View Post
    My wife likes football and prefers pants.

Understood. IMO it makes her a real person.

I'm just wondering if the BSTc region associated with CD/TS has an effect on music taste. It may be too complex of a question to distill, but it never stopped me from asking.

Thanks for replying!

k

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Don't care for their singer's voice
    4. No
    EC: Toadies had a female bassist for a few years.

listening to the first Rush song that youtube came up with... it's definitely not my thing. I like some prog and can see the appeal but a lot of it feels a bit on the pretentious side for me, Rush included. My gender doesn't affect my music taste, I just like what I like, artists whose music I find beautiful, or relatable. that said I love a lot of the early 90's sadcore/slowcore bands (red house painters, codeine etc) and wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them weren't mostly listened to by depressed male 20 somethings... definitely a demographic I belong to.

Excellent unscientific start to my evening...

I had listened to them donkey's years ago but YT popped up Xanadu and La Villa Strangiato as a quick reminder... (No, the former nothing to do with ONJ, Aussies... ) They're a bit like Yes or E.L.P. and also of that era... so to address your questions (which always seem to escape some respondees - I guess these are the folk that spoil ballot papers too... )

1: CD/TG
    2: Hmmm... they're OK - very like Yes I'd say, but I'd probably prefer something like Deep Purple or Hawkwind from that era...
    3: Why - similarities to other bands of that era
    4: No - I listen to a huge range from rock, through folk, R&B, blues, jazz to classical and opera
    ec: I imagine most of the neo-nazi skinhead bands might have a predominantly male following... (and are probably not recommended venues for us folk... )

Katey x
    3:
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    1 - TG
    2 - Yes very much so
    3 - An amazing amount of music put out by only 3 guys. I like their originality as well.
    4 - No. But potentially as I view myself as more open minded than any of my friends and my musical interests are far more diverse than anyone I know.
    EC - nope

Male transgender cross-dresser, but not a huge fan of Rush. I do like a lot of guy music though, including King Crimson, Pink Floyd and (a tad heavier and not as old) Opeth. I am my gender identity and I am my musical preference. They're obviously connected but it's not like I choose to listen to certain kinds of music because I happen to be a guy.

LOL. I just watched the Rush biographical film last night. Great band.

1. TG, but I'm still sorting this out. Had my first therapy session today.

2. Yes! Love them.

3. thoughtful lyrics, awesome musicianship, sweet guys. Great band.

4. It must have. I bonded very early with metal music. Started playing guitar when I was 14 and really enjoy music with virtuosity. I've also always loved women singers and folk music. I've joked that I have a bi-polar musical taste, metal and folk. I see a bit of that as an expression of my non-standard gender identity.

5. My Chemical Romance. Evanescence. Queens of the Stone Age. Avenged Sevenfold has a strong female audience for a metal band. I think more gothic music in general has a broader appeal. Bauhaus anyone? Love Peter Murphy.
    I'm through accepting limits
    'Cause someone says they're so
    Some things I cannot change
    But 'til I try, I'll never know!
    - Defying Gravity from Wicked

1. Queer
    2. Meh
    3. Progrock is just background noise to me
    4. No

1 CD/TG

2 No

3 Just not my thing

4 Yes, I listen to many singers/bands that I don't think I would otherwise (Lady Gaga, etc...)

(1) CD
    (2) Yes
    (3) Music, Geddy Lee's vocals
    (4) No

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    1 So, do you identify with CD TG TS or other specification? CD

2 Do you like Rush? Ehh...they are good...they were the first band I ever saw in concert , but have not listened to them in 20 years.

3 Why or why not? Neil Pert is a pretty awesome drummer

4 Do you thing your gender identity has any influence on the music you listen to? Kinda sorta...those here who know me know its part of my dayjob to be a musical nerd and a guru of useless musical information...but I like and listen to everything...I have to...while dressed though it def gets a bit more femme though.

extra credit (??) Can you thing of a male band that is divided along the lines of conventional genetic gender?
    IMO Music has no gender....Only guys like Rush cause well...have you listened to rush? LOL......It's Nerd Rock.

Put nails in the loop holes of your boots and kick someone !
    Last edited by Adriana Moretti; 09-03-2014 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Katey888

terrapin station, you need to guess a little bit
    Very unscientific method i'm afraid. For myself, i like Rush but I've never felt that stuff i like as a guy needs to go away just because i like to dress up in women's clothes from time to time. Conversely the only influence my dresssing has on my musical choices is perhaps a tendency to more female oriented music. Joan Armatrading is one example.

1. CD
    2. No
    3. Don't like the lead singers voice and don't like the lyrics.
    4. Maybe.
    I am a big rock fan,everything from Zeppelin to Metallica but also enjoy bands that are normally called chic bands. Paramore is my favorite current rock band and I also have artists like Katy perry in my iTunes. I don't know if I like these "chick bands" because I'm a cd or not but I do know none of my guy friends admit to liking Katy perry or Kelly clarksen.

1. I'm a woman
    2. I never heard of Rush.
    3. I would have to go to youtube and try listening to some of their music to see if I like Rush or not.
    4. I don't think gender has anything to do with the type of music you listen to.

I believe our musical tastes are a reflection of what kind of music we grew up listening to, and is always subject to change. I generally like soft rock, easy listening, disco, and I like a mix of oldies and modern music.
    A few artists I like are Lionel Richie, The Beatles, David Bowie, Katy Perry, The Four Tops, Foreigner, Sara Bareilles, Ellie Goulding, The Spinners, Paul McCartney, TuPac.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Krististeph . . . here goes:

1. TG

2. I like Rush but would not say I love them.

3. Like the sound and besides as a Canadian I have to say I at least like them.

4. No, my taste in music is quite eclectic and has not changed

Not going to try for extra credit.

Hugs

Isha

I might add that if Ricky, Julian and Bubbles like Rush, they can't be all bad.

Aspiring Member Dana does shopping's Avatar
    1. TG/TS
    2. Yes
    3. Because "his mind is not for rent for any God or Government".
    4. Yes & No Love bands that play it hard & adore Feist & Sara McLaughlin ...
    Depeche Mode, Bowie & The Cure have us all thinking twice ... three times ...

1. CD/TG

2. Never heard of them

3. NA

Classical music is my favorite, also like classical jazz New Orleans style and some bluegrass.

Hugs, Bria

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    CD
    Never spent much time listening to them
    I fell for bands in the previous generation and then branched out to other types of music, jazz, classical, blues, bluegrass, etc. Kind of missed most of the Rush era bands.
    My gender identity has little to do with my taste in music, although I do occasionally find k.d.lang to be a wonderful listen as I get ready to go out. Some bands or songs can get me a little more in the mood, if that makes sense.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.