Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you consider yourselves androgynous in guy mode?

Do any of you consider yourselves androgynous in guy mode?

While the clothes I wear are masculine, I've recently feminized some of my physical characteristics.

First off, I have natural long curly hair, which sometimes I'll fix a little feminine (I do get called "ma'am" often from behind only to get a "sorry, sir" when I turn around ). Every once in a while, I'm asked if I wear makeup. I have natural long eyelashes and my lower eyelids are naturally darker than the rest of my face - so why not make use of them? While I don't wear makeup in guy mode, I started curling my eyelashes a bit. I also got into classical guitar playing, so I have grown out my right hand nails.I also started wearing nail polish (black, blue, bright red, dark cranberry type red, and of course plain clear top coat) on both my fingers and toes. I don't even try to hide my toes, as I'll go out with flip flops. I also started thinning out my eyebrows a bit.

So far, my parents, an uncle, sister, and coworkers have seen me with the nail polish. They'd seen me years ago with black nail polish, but not bright red. Neither of them have said a word (I have gotten compliments from friends and even strangers). I'm not sure if anyone has noticed my curled eyelashes or trimmed eyebrows, but again, no one has said a word. At this point I have decided that if they do ask, I'll simply tell them the truth - I love the Dave Navarro rock star look.

What makes me andogynous (I like to think) is how those characteristics are contrasted with my broad shoulders and wide jaw line. I have both the masculine and feminine look.

Any of you also add some of the traditionally-feminine look to your masculinity?

I don't really have a guy mode as such, but my work clothes make me look a lot more masculine and being something of an insomniac I don't really make an effort beyond shaving due to getting out of bed on average half an hour before I have to leave. that said, I have long hair and I keep my eyebrows much thinner than you'd see on a guy so I guess I still retain some femininity at work, just not nearly as much as I'd like.

I think the best I can manage right now is "metrosexual." I got my ears pierced and started parting my hair on the right. No one has said anything yet at work, but I know some have noticed. I really want to wear eyeliner and a skirt to work, but I think that might be getting ahead of myself.

I'm letting my hair grow, so I think androgyny is on the way.
    I'm through accepting limits
    'Cause someone says they're so
    Some things I cannot change
    But 'til I try, I'll never know!
    - Defying Gravity from Wicked

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    In describing how I present myself and what I choose to wear on any given day, many internet folks have characterized me as androgynous. And I suppose that is probably correct. Though it does not connect well in my mind. In my mind, androgynous means that you can't determine the gender of the individual. Sort of like Pat from older SNL skits. I am not that way. Everyone knows I am a male.

But I do lots of gender non-conforming things. Like I have my nails painted pretty much all of the time. Oh and lots of the jewelry I wear is marketed to women. And I shave my body hair. Oh and both ears are pierced. And on occasion I wear female clothes while presenting as a man.

So while some may describe me as androgynous, I describe myself as gender non-conforming as no one is confused as to my gender, but I do lots of things that are not traditional for my ascribed gender.

My life philosophy very much revolves around androgyny. I don't appreciate being placed in a specific bracket of masculinity or femininity.
    I find that by changing it up every once in a while, you keep the people around you on their toes.
    There are days when I can't be bothered & I just throw on the most comfortable clothes I can find,
    but usually my style is a mixture of both masculine-, and feminine features. Throwing on a long wig or
    painting your nails on a whim the day before, yet otherwise coming across as masculine are great ways to highlight your personality. It also works vice versa.
    So, when I'm not crossdressing, I try to bring feminine aspects to my "boy"-style, because that's how I feel the most confident. Which means that I am more or less androgynous.

Crossdresser-At-Large BillieAnneJean's Avatar
    No, I am totally male when not enfemme.

I would guess the answer is kinda yes and kinda no...

I do nothing to hide my masculine side at all, I am who I am after all. My hair is cut in a male style, I do not shave my legs/arms/chest. My face often has a day or two's growth on it. Yet each day I wear womens' blouses/tops/shirts/trousers and shoes both to work, at home and in public. So I show a very feminine side outwardly. Does that make me androgynous? I dunno as it is not a term I would use. I see my self as a man showing feminine traits and overtones who frankly shows himself in the truest light.

Odd that, never ever considered androgynous as a word. Think I need to consider if this is accurate or not more.... Thanks for putting that thought in my head.

Hair past my shoulders. Brows arched. Ears pierced.

I doubt that I feel androgynous as I am most definitely a male, but I doubt that I walk through any open place without rousing suspicions.
    REBEL WITHOUT A CLOSET!
    All trans* girls are NOT created equal. https://www.flickr.com/photos/emi_again/

Nope, as Rich I'm all boy. As Kate, however, I fancy myself a kick ass action/adventuress and sometimes A wild Rum Wench with Pirates.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

*~Plain-Vanilla TG Girl~*
    hmmm. Not really 'androgynous' for me, but a bit of a girly looking guy.

Just girly enough that I can get by without problems where i live....though
    I do push it a little sometimes....lol

Gone to live my life
    While some of my features are a bit more softer than some guys and I have been pursuing laser hair removal on my face . . . nope with my ugly mug . . . still all guy.

Hugs

Isha

In guy mode at work I'm pretty drab except that all of my jeans and most of my slacks are female cut as are most of my shoes. I've dabbled a little with foundation or powder here and there but I keep it minimal. Also wear a stud in both ears.
    Away from work unless I'm dressing full out I relax and mix and match a little. Not enough to say androgynous but sometimes getting a second look.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    I consider myself androgynous in GIRL mode LOL....that way I never worry about passing...but guy mode looks like this...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Reality Check
    No, I do not consider myself androgynous in guy mode. In "guy mode" I look like a guy.

Yes, I am fairly androgynous in male mode. Long hair, earrings, and pastel colors get me an occasional ma'am and a few curious looks. At the same time I am happy to be able to express myself as I desire.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Luv doing girl stuff CherylFlint's Avatar
    Once I had a hot rod and made it into a race car.
    It turned-out to be a mistake and I ended-up selling it.
    I should've kept it a street rod.
    Me? I keep Cheryl 100% seperate from my drab self.
    But I wish you the very best.
    Good luck!

Yesterday my wife thanked me for making an effort to appear more masculine in my male guise. The only change I made was not thinning my eyebrows quite as much. I also grow a goatee during the week. She is very supportive of my dual presentation, but she does prefer the more masculine me.

Other than that, my fingernails are very long and generally painted. My toenails almost always sport French tips. My hair leans toward the feminine. Ears are pierced and I often wear dangly crosses. And finally, body is shaved.

I often am mistaken for female, though I suspect that has more to do with my small stature than anything else. When it comes to clothing I'm an either/or dresser. Even though I always sport some feminine aspects, I really don't think I'm all that androgynous.

I shave my eye brows, nuetral fingernail polish and tight jeans. Thats about all.

Adriana: What ever makes you happy! Sorry, feelin' a little silly today.
    *Stay on topic Julie...* I think I'm pretty passable.. as an old dude!! Baaaadump!! Never mind.. it's hopeless.
    CD? I'm never cross when dressed
    More like HF.. Happy Femulator. Julie's Flickr page
    Amateur/DIY Photos adjusted for exposure and white balance only, except to obscure background All rights reserved.

I don't think I'm masculine because in guy mode I wonder if I swish when I walk. Even before see below.I always notice what women wear.
    See below:
    My ears are pierced, my brows are arched, i wear colorless polish on my fingers, and i had electrolysis on my face.(no beard)

Oh, it's impossible to be masculine because my best friends are women and we love to talk girl talk.
    i also enjoy watching romantic movies and comedy

Even in guy mode I get mam'd if they are not looking up. My voice is neither masculine or feminine.
    Last edited by janetcgtv; 09-02-2014 at 10:43 PM.
    Marilyn Monroe says "I don't mind living in a man's world, as long as I can be a woman in it".
    and I wish I was born a woman

Hell yeah, although I hide my features right now. I love shaving my body and my toes are always painted. Always wanted to paint my fingers, have long hair, and thin my eyebrows...also want to learn about makeup.

My eye brows and chin length bob - plus I usually wear women's panties suits or shorts when I am in drab

When I was fist in college, many moons ago, in the days of slates and candles, one of my profs told me that she felt I was androgynous...Not from my appearance, but in my mannerism and the way I interact with fellow students: better listener, more compassionate, more tactile, etc that the other guys in the class, and that I was able to move/relate with both genders with comfort. Was actually good to hear back then!!

Now, the mannerisms are the same. Appearance wise? Well, long nails, always with clear polish, clear polish on my toes and wear flip flops or sandals often. Legs shaved, chest shaved, eyebrows shaped and a bit of eyebrow pencil daily. People have noticed at work, I am sure, they are not stupid by any means, but no one has said anything. For me, that is just being me.

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Yes. Since I'm almost always in cute shoes - in any mode - androgyny just happens!

I wish. Even fully dressed, I look like a guy in a dress.
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby