Thread: A first?

I'm not new, just quiet lizbendalin's Avatar

A first?

By career I am a pastor.

This last week I accepted my next called position. What is interesting is that I have been out as transgender the entire search process. The church hired me knowing that I am somewhere on the spectrum between crossdresser and transsexual.

This last weekend when I was there to do the trial sermon and have in-depth conversations in person I was wandering around with my shaved legs and brightly painted toenails out in the open. In fact, at one point in the process, one of the members of the search committee said she could care less if I, "started the service in one gender and ended it in another." Now, that is not likely to happen, but it's nice to know they are fully accepting.

The church was at one time a big downtown church, but has shrunk in numbers in recent years. I start the job in January. All of you are welcome, and will be embraced as the person you desire to be. We will be the voice for progressive, pro-LGBT, pro-justice Christianity in Eastern Ohio. Feel free to join us at Zion United Church of Christ in Steubenville, OH.
    It's not that I want to be a girl, or I want to be a boy; I want to be me!

My Facebook profile

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I'm not sure if it's a first but, it's certainly enlightening. I admire your peaceful coexistence of faith and proclivity.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Gone to live my life
    Hi Liz,

What a wonderful story and thanks for sharing. I can only guess having such a welcoming flock will make you job that much more pleasant.

Hugs

Isha

Congratulations on your new position Liz. It's nice to know that there are some folks out there and groups of folks that are accepting and progressive in their thinking and spirituality. My best wishes to you and the congregation.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Hi Liz,

Thank you so much for sharing this story. It is uplifting and enlightening to know that there are congregations such as yours. It truly adds another dimension to Hope and Love. All best wishes for your new position; may the congregation continue to grow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by lizbendalin View Post
    The church was at one time a big downtown church, but has shrunk in numbers in recent years. We will be the voice for progressive, pro-LGBT, pro-justice Christianity in Eastern Ohio.
    Maybe the numbers would still be there if the church had been more concerned with spiritual growth, relationship with God, etc. instead of political activism.

Ihave been to an GLBT church in Dallas Tx on a couple of occasions as my feminine self. I can reconcile this in the fact that God knows my heart and sees me however I am dressed. I cannot hide from my God.
    I would love to hear from a member of the clergy how you reconcile your fem side with your religin and personal life in God.

Reality Check
    It's funny how all the churches preach from the same book but have vastly different interpretations of it.

Best of luck at your new church.

Congratulations - i hope it will be a great experience

Congratulations Liz. The Congregation is lucky to have you! Wishing you much success and Joy.
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Congratz Liz...

That is so nice to hear about acceptance and people's beliefs... way to go!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Banned Read only
    If I encountered a church such as yours, maybe I'd start going again. Not that I would go to services en femme, but, I would cherish not hearing slurs against peoples that were not cookie cutters of themselves.

Congratulations! It sounds like a perfect fit for you . I attended church with neighbors as Suzanne last week. Everyone was pleasant and the minister sat by me during worship! We just have to decide we are worthy and give people a chance to accept us. If they don't then we move on.
    Suzanne

Liz, I'm very glad to hear that you are starting a new ministry in Steubenville. I am studying to become a Deacon and believe that regardless of how we may dress, what color, ethnicity, sexual preference, etc, we are all children of God and as such are deserving of the ministry of whatever religion we chose to practice. I hope that your new charge is successful beyond your wildest espectiations!! I will remember you in my prayers.

Hugs, Bria

I am so pleased. You seem to have found a flock who truly understands how things are meant to be. Please share with your congregation my gratitude and respect.

Hug
    Rita
    A person should wear what he likes to. And not just what other folks say. A person should be who she likes to. A person's a person that way!
    ~Marlo Thomas~

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    Maybe the numbers would still be there if the church had been more concerned with spiritual growth, relationship with God, etc. instead of political activism.
    That may be the reason Nicole, but I would guess that it was probably do to changing demographics of the members as over time they have migrated with their donations out to the suburbs and now attend local churches or none at all. Being from the Mid-West, I have seen that happen a lot and not just with churches, but also business. Just like businesses, they need paying/donating members to keep them going. In the past they were probably not so accepting, which is a big shame too.

Banned Read only
    Congratulations Liz! It does not surprise me at all that the United Church of Christ hired you as a pastor. As I recall the United Church of Christ is known as the church of firsts. They believe strongly in this passage from the book of Galatians: "There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus"—a demand is made upon us. Welcome to Ohio.

Banned Read only
    Liz congratulations on your appointment, I really hope it goes well for you !
    It will be interesting to see if your congregation increases with your appointment and what their acceptance level is like, please let us know how it goes.

This is indeed very encouraging. I pastor a pretty small congregation where sharing my CD self in any kind of way would lead to me probably not being there anymore. It is what it is and I have learned to live with it.

Liz,
    I wish you all the best, Some of the best pastors I knew were in the services and they kept a very open mind.
    You sound similar and I hope you meet with success.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

That's awesome. Very awesome. Congrats in many big ways.
    man, i feel like a woman

I have always wanted to attend a church service as Sabrina. If I ever get to that part of Ohio, I would certainly attend the service. Many blessings to you and may God be with you on your journey.
    Love, Sabrina

said she could care less if I, "started the service in one gender and ended it in another."
    She likely meant she could NOT care less. If she could care less, that means she does care about it. If she does NOT care, then she could NOT care less. See?

Your church will really be making progress if it admits that "hell" is not eternal and doesn't mean a place of torture after death for sinning. I can teach you something about the Bible etc.
    T-shirt says: "Hi, I Crossdress!"

Well done Liz - best wishes for your success!
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!