Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CHANGE : It's time to de-demonize "tranny" term

Exclamation CHANGE : It's time to de-demonize "tranny" term

Hello,

it's 2014 and I think it's time to stop thinking small and get over considering "tranny" being a vulgarism. I'm male to female TV. Lifestyle. Not for fame, not for money. Because it's simply me. So I'm not an outsider.

I often get emails on projects / articles/ sites I run "Why do you use term tranny? It's offensive."

My reply is usual:

"By sheer intention. It's a term used more and more as descriptive term for a CD/TV/TS person. While some people perceive this as an insult, even saying chick can be offensive yet no women are protesting. Get over it. Please. It's 2014 and world is changing. If we try to be politically correct we will end up calling us Homo sapiens trensgener"

Of course I understand that TS ladies, pre or post, think differently... but this is not the issue. If someone really understands, he would't use "tranny" with TS ladies. But even if he does... is it an offense? Aren't we creating fences and " narrow-minded definitions where they don't need to be?

Tell me your opinion. But please don't get offended, this is a discussion. I think if world should accept us we should also accept the world. Being stubborn doesn't help anyone.

I like calling myself a tranny. I'd like close trans friends calling me that if it was affectionate. I would probably dislike it from anyone who was not LGBT. And from a stranger I would certainly consider an insult, which it would surely be. It's all in the motive and the propinquity.

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    TV = CD (depends on location and other societal measures...)

I don't like the word because of it being a slang term which usually is negative or demeaning. Call me a TS, I find nothing wrong with that as it is a commonly accepted term.

I have never had a problem with the term 'Tranny' although I think it has different connotations in different parts of the world.
    I am a tranny and proud
    x

Well I admit it surely depends on context, situation, social settings, etc.

But in general, how it works in our mind: any word has got a connotation. Which is inherited by society and /or experience.

What I'm saying we maybe should change the way we think about it. Being called "transgender person" annoys me more than "tranny"

I think it would be far better if men could freely wear dresses, skirts, heels, and makeup without being made to feel as if they were "different". Certainly if a woman can have short hair, no makeup, and wear a flannel shirt with jeans and hiking boots without raising an eyebrow then a man should have the option of wearing a dress, heels, and makeup simply because he wants to without causing any kind of negative reaction. Then there would be no need for the term "tranny" at all.

Johanna Anna (John)
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

That's a VERY good point. But we are not there yet
    Last edited by Katey888; 09-07-2014 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Unnecessary to quote immediately preceding post...

Platinum Member

The Automotive Industtry !

Hi Betty, I think that Tranny is a term best left to the Automotive Industry !
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

OK people. So what should be a lang, spoken term ?

"Transgendered person" is not going to make it. Not because people don't want to be "correct" but because they are lazy. It needs to be short and easy to pronounce.
    Last edited by transbetty; 09-07-2014 at 05:35 PM. Reason: typo

In my world, a "Tranny" is a transistor.. a semiconductor device, not to be confused with a "trans sister" from the old (but gawdawful) joke about the nun who.......
    CD? I'm never cross when dressed
    More like HF.. Happy Femulator. Julie's Flickr page
    Amateur/DIY Photos adjusted for exposure and white balance only, except to obscure background All rights reserved.

Numero uno: This is never a word I expected to see used here:

Quote Originally Posted by devida View Post
    It's all in the motive and the propinquity.
    So Devida definitely gets 'Literati of the Weekend' award from me...

Quote Originally Posted by transbetty View Post
    OK people. So what should be a lang, spoken term ?

"Transgendered person" is not going to make it.
    Hmmm - 'Transgendered Person' - accurate.... but perhaps shorter... TP....? TeePee....

That sounds quite 'ethnic' and environmentally friendly... Very trendy... Perhaps we can all be TeePees...?

But actually I prefer 'Martini Girl'... or MG is just as good... and accurate.... Why?

Because an MG is British (or was), classic (or was!), and may be considered slight and underpowered compared with some Italian models... (Ms Moretti - please take note...) - but we're economical, easy to work on.... and handle really well down quiet English country lanes...

Now please don't make me be serious and let me get back to my REAL martini.... Cheerio! Katey x
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Katey , I'm all for "Martini girl" but this one will take ages to go through

... even saying chick can be offensive yet no women are protesting.
    If you don't think any women are offended and quite willing to protest being called "chicks" then you're getting a rather limited perspective. It's not exactly a world-class insult, but it is somewhat dismissive. Many of the same women object to the term "girls" referring to mature women as well, and while I'm not nearly as sensitive I do understand where they're coming from.

Get over it. Please. It's 2014 and world is changing.
    No, you get over it.

See how compelling an argument that is? Expressing your opinion and suggesting to others you're sick of hearing theirs isn't likely to lead to meaningful change. I'm all for real exchanges of ideas, but that requires listening and trying to understand opposing viewpoints. Sure, some of it comes down to whether or not we agree that language is an effective agent for change. In practice, I think a lot of what happens is that terminology becomes a shorthand for identifying who hasn't been reached by education regarding the issues that affect a part of the population. The words themselves aren't hurtful, but the attitudes they represent certainly can be, so people change their language to show respect for the process of becoming a more understanding, diverse society. It's all too easy for people to assume that if the word tranny is still fair game, then the attitudes that have gone with it historically are still okay, too.

I am irked by part-timers advocating for the use of terminology that has been used to degrade the entire trans community, because it's something a weekend crossdresser can just walk away from. They don't have to deal with day-to-day discrimination every day of their lives, in housing or at their job, so they don't pay the same kind of price transitioners, particularly non-passable transitioners, have to deal with.
    ~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

I'm opposed to words that are perfectly OK when used within a community but considered offensive when used by an outsider. It makes the community look shallow and hypocritical. I have no problem with the word "tranny" but I realize that others have chosen to take offense with it. I'm not fond of "crossdresser" either as it seems to trivialize something that has deep meaning to most of us. I refer to myself as "Transgender" and "TG" is a perfectly good way of shortening the word, though the syllable count remains the same, as it does with "tranny."

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly Kael View Post
    I am irked by part-timers...
    And I am irked by those who think that their opinion is more valid that that of the people they derisively call "part-timers."

Part-timers fight the same demons as the full-timers with the added need to occasionally take on masculine roles in order to maintain our marriages, families, careers, and other commitments.
    Last edited by Eryn; 09-07-2014 at 06:28 PM.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Of course I understand that TS ladies, pre or post, think differently... but this is not the issue. If someone really understands, he would't use "tranny" with TS ladies. But even if he does... is it an offense?
    Yes, 100% USDA Choice offensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly Kael View Post
    I am irked by part-timers advocating for the use of terminology that has been used to degrade the entire trans community, because it's something a weekend crossdresser can just walk away from. They don't have to deal with day-to-day discrimination every day of their lives, in housing or at their job, so they don't pay the same kind of price transitioners, particularly non-passable transitioners, have to deal with.
    Exactly. The Muggles generally don't have the faculties to know what species of trans they observe in the wild. The same Muggle who is inclined to use the offensive term "tranny" isn't about to differentiate between the part-timer & the full-time transitioning woman. Not only are we not wearing labels to tell the difference, they don't particularly care if they are inclined to go down the tranny road in the first place.

Kimberly's point is well taken and is an example of why those of us who are part-time should take care in public situations to reflect as positively on our community as can be. I've been accused of being everything in the spectrum, a part-timer to a full-time TS by unsuspecting Muggles which has reinforced my resolve to be the best I can be for those who might follow in my wake who don't have the luxury to take it all off when the going gets tough.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Luv doing girl stuff CherylFlint's Avatar
    If I had to describe myself, I'd say that I'm a transvestite.
    Second, I'd say that I'm a CD.
    I wouldn't use the word "tranny", but that's just me.
    I've nothing against the word, except that it it's like calling a Porsche 911 Twin-Turbo just a "car".

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    Exactly. The Muggles generally don't have the faculties to know what species of trans they observe in the wild.
    Could you please clarify your statement? By "Muggle" are you referring to someone completely outside the TG community, or is your goal to denigrate the "part timer" portion of our community as Kimberly did?
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Katy, I almost fell off my chair and almost spilled my wine over your MG quips. You forgot that they're almost always green, and need a lot of tinkering to keep keep going. Once warmed up, however they purrrrrrrrrrr!

Now, what was the OP TOPIC ?????

Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Well, I think I'm on record as not being offended by the word. In fact, I was banned from the HuffPost for taking on the Malloy crowd a while back. Which is kind of funny because they were saying much more awful things to me then I was to them, but que sera, all's fair in love and political correctness I suppose.

My position is simple, if being called a tranny is the worst thing that happens to you today, then count your blessings.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    Could you please clarify your statement? By "Muggle" are you referring to someone completely outside the TG community
    That's definitely how I read it.

... or is your goal to denigrate the "part timer" portion of our community as Kimberly did?
    Could you kindly point out where I denigrated a community I'm very fond of? If you'd prefer a different term to distinguish between those who live their lives 24/7 as a gender opposite what they were assigned at birth, and those who do so less often I'd happily listen to your concerns with my terminology. Aside from that, I made a pretty clear qualification about what exactly bothered me. And if you're stating that I shouldn't be allowed to find something irksome? Well, I don't know where to begin with that.

Generally speaking, if you need to edit a quote to remove all relevant context to take offense then you're reaching for something that isn't there.
    ~ Kimberly

“To escape criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing." - Elbert Hubbard

Back in the old days we were all transvestites. I never even heard the term crossdresser until 15 or so years ago. I guess the "upper crust" got involved?
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

If you think about it, transvestite and crossdresser means exactly the same thing. Trans means Cross, and vestments means clothing or the "dress" you wear.

Johanna Anna
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    Could you please clarify your statement? By "Muggle" are you referring to someone completely outside the TG community, or is your goal to denigrate the "part timer" portion of our community as Kimberly did?
    A Muggle, if I read Katey888 correctly, as she often uses the term, is simply a harmless reference to those who are not wizards, or in this case, those "outside of our community". I find the term rather endearing.

Jaye
    Satchel was right, something is gaining on me...And God bless the creator of e-cigs!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Just a term people use and we can't stop them from using it.
    The thing is to not let it bother you and go on your way.

TG is a far better"label" in my opinion. Tranny is and sounds slangish...
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !