Thread: 6 days in a skirt

6 days in a skirt

Just spent some time on the West coast, Vancouver B.C area, and almost the entire time I was wearing a skirt in public. Absolutely no comments at all. Almost no overt reactions, the very few reactions I did notice were a quick glance, slight puzzlement, then the facial equivalent of a shrug, as if in their head they were saying, "Oh well, each to their own"

I'm firmly convinced that over 90% didn't see anything other than shorts.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    It's a very open-minded city, isn't it? I'm about four hours from there, in rural BC. Not so open-minded...

I should have mentioned that I stopped on the way to, and from Vancouver. Both times in small/medium size towns, rural/tourist through traffic kind of places. Still not a flicker of animosity. This morning had breakfast in an old style family restaurant, 90% of the clientèle was retirement age.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    We have a saying here, UD. Without a photo, maybe it didn't happen?

In your thread, a photo of how u looked in BC would supplant 1000 words. Because if u can pass and dressed to "blend"? No wonder u had no issues.

If u looked more like a linebacker in a dress? I bow down to u!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Not a linebacker in a dress, just a guy in a skirt, and t-shirt. Cropped hair, couple of days worth of stubble.

Banned Read only
    But, but, but, but...they MUST have been special small towns?

Because we all here KNOW that small towns don't allow such things as men in skirts. All small towns are full of rednecks with pitchforks and baseball bats.

Maybe you are just a LUCKY CDer?

I'm
    thinking of skirting in my next business trip to Boston. I've worn a kilted skirt on the trip before, but I'm thinking of being a little bolder and not disguising the fact that I'm wearing hosiery under it all.

Maybe things are changing all over.
    I saw a male employee at Lowe's building supply wearing a dress and no wig or any of the other trappings.
    All I thought was, I wouldn't do that without a wig.

I've mentioned in another thread that going out as a DID is scarier for me than going out en femme, simply because there is no question of "passing", only a question of getting your butt kicked. But so far, I've limited it to grocery shopping in the middle of the day and haven't had any problems, and it's in a relatively small town in the south.

I'm extra alert and will avoid an aisle where a trucker is looking at canned goods, but most folks don't even notice. I just have to wear it like I mean it, don't act all girly, and keep a ready smile.

Good going UnderD

Jaye
    Satchel was right, something is gaining on me...And God bless the creator of e-cigs!

Well I only know about small towns in Canada, we know Canadians are famous (infamous?) for their polite nature and reticence. To be honest, I wasn't expecting trouble, but I was a little surprised to receive NO comments at all. I mean 5 full days? Walking the streets, hanging out at the campsite, walking in and out of the hostel, shopping, buying food, short trip on a ferry, (with school group even!) barely a flicker of attention here and there. It's true, people see what they want/expect to see, but I'm not quite believing that some didn't actually realise. In one tourist place, we spent about 20 minutes browsing, in full view of the owner who wasn't going to let 2 unknowns wander her shelves unattended, went up to the counter 3 times at least to stack potential purchases, she must have seen the skirt, but it didn't even seem to be something worth commenting on.
    Last edited by UNDERDRESSER; 09-10-2014 at 07:23 PM.

We were in Vegas (baby) for a week recently. No pants at all the whole time. I wasn't really 'dressing', but I come across as pretty fem without much effort (sorry, to all those that are working at that) so mostly we get "Hi Ladies". Biggest issue was the restrooms. I use the mens room as I'm not trying to "pass". I had people trying to stop me as they were sure I was heading to the wrong one. Yes, people see what they want to see. Vegas was an easy place, most of the time, to go pants free.

I was raised in Detroit, Canada was my vacationland and I have never ceased to be amazed by the Canadians...Eh!!!...

Jaye

What kind of shoes were you wearing? Any legwear?

I have gone out on several occasions in a skirt as a man. Normally, all of my clothes are feminine including hose (sometimes dark) ladies' shoes (sometimes heels). My experience has been that people notice readily, and they do take extra looks. Young people will snicker and alert their friends. But no one tends to mention the skirt or shoes or anything. I normally only go out during hours when kids are in school, so I have very few experiences around kids and younger teenagers. When I have had opportunities to spend one-on-one time or small group meeting with others, they might mention my outfit.

In my experience, I believe, it is like going out in a wheelchair or with tattoos on your face. People notice and take a second look because I am different, but they wouldn't dare say anything. That would be rude.

...but I do avoid places where rude people might be found!

Hey UD - I'd second Sherry's comment - a picture would be worth a thousand words for this...

I'm sure it was very appropriate (not a bright pink, spandex, micro-mini.... no - all those are in The Gallery right now... ) - but perhaps it could have been mistaken for a kilt by many folk...???

Possibly they thought your were just a far reaching Scottish Independence campaigner...

It's good to hear you obviously had a pleasant time out and about...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    It does not amaze anymore that people are unobservant. Whether it is because they don't care, or are just to wrapped up in whatever they are doing, they just don't notice. Then there are the people watchers which notice everything, I am one of them. I just got back from holidays myself, and this is some of what I saw.
    A guy who made no attempt to look like anything other than a guy, in a blouse and skirt. Tastefully attired except for the hiking boots, which did nothing for the blouse and skirt. The second one was in a mall of a BC logging town, aka redneck central. What drew my attention to him was that he was over 6ft, and the girlfriend was barely 5ft. At first I thought he was in leggings, no it was tights with running shoes on. No pants, but his shirt was very long which gave more of a dress impression than anything else. It was a shirt, you could tell by the typical male shirt tails. Both had their share of piercing, but for the most part everyone didn't notice anything. If you dress to blend in, then that is exactly what you get, a blended in individual where no one notices anything unusual.
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

I don't pass...the bushy "einstein" mustache and hair are pretty noticable - and I frequently wear skirts on the street. I have just recently moved to Vancouver, but I too find it to be very accepting of my sartorial choices.

And the chaps over at skirtcafe dot org all post the same message: Sure, people notice, but 99% of them are happy to let you be who you are.

Eh Now ,sounds like you had a good eh? I spent many years up and down the alcan hwy living both in alaska and wa ,state. I am not surprised by the local reactions in todays world ,however 30yrs ago if the locals did not go after you the mounties would if not for your own safety ,especially in the old timber towns of the day .When coming out of country I often stopped in anchorage for supplies before heading out, and always made it a point to be in town over a mad myrna's a somewhat gay bar but on fridays it was the impersonator shows!! .You woul dbe surprised at how many straight people showed up ,but what I noticed most is the amount of youger men wearing a kilt when I queried one he told me it was the next best thing to wearing a skirt and no one paid anyattention to it as it was a kilt, now as one of the other posters on this thread mentioned "maybe they thought it was a kilt" from my experience a kilt is a kilt and a skirt is a skirt quite different in appearance but it sounds like you had fun and that is what is important phylis anne