Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Men in Skirts, What an Idea!

It isn't a huge leap from those baggy basketball shorts to a skirt...from a few feet away, they can look the same
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Yes I have seen several men in skirts in public. One time I was at a ski lodge in the evening & I saw a guy with friends. He was wearing a brown leather skirt possibly a kilt (I didn't want to stare to figure it out).

A guy I know here loves jean skirts & wears them in public on a regular basis. no problem.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

I don't know if I pass or not, but I love to wear skirts (and dresses, and Capris, and shorts, and femme jeans) in public.

I really don't worry about the passing part that much any more. I do the best I can and if someone "makes" me, so what? Their knowing doesn't hurt me and it might even bring a bit of TG reality into their lives.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

I saw a guy in a skirt in the Chicago airport a couple of years ago. He also had a Mohawk haircut and purple hair. He didn't seem to be trying to blend.

Thank you for sharing this link. It gives me hope!
    Di

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjohanne View Post
    ... But, when I have gone out in a skirt, there is no hiding. I am clearly a man and I am clearly wearing a skirt. One simple glance and the viewer knows everything. Somehow that is less stressful. I still feel stress when the first few people see me during an outing. But there is no "secret" that will be discovered. Somehow, for me, this is better. It is more pleasant. I suppose it is possible that as I have simply become more comfortable with my own dressing, that I am just less stressed in general. If that is true, then I would feel equally comfortable now no matter what I wear. But, I have my doubts that is the case.

Am I the only one who has experienced this?
    You have gone with the "what you see is what you get approach." I am also a fan of people knowing what I am and am not. It removes the "I got duped and now I have to prove my self to somebody because you fooled me." Bearing in mind that I wouldn't fool anybody who didn't really, really want to be fooled.

I agree with you that it's nice not to have to worry about being discovered since it's already right there in the open. Frees me to worry about more important things like the poor choice made in stay up hosiery that didn't.
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

Been there and still doing that but not without phoned in complaints from parents calling the school district I work for. Seriously what right do these parents have to tell me what to wear. Been skirtless this week but hopefully I can muster up the courage to wear skirts next week for work.

I have seen a couple of guys wearing skirts. I think it makes more people stare than a full on CD going out and about.

Angela xx

Hi,

I have a friend from Oamaru south of us by 1 / 2 an hour who comes to our Scottish nights most times , now he like myself is a Scot so for those of us do wear Kilts and nothing would ever be said like, a man in a skirt ,

For my self if i did not have breasts and body shape of a female no doubt i would pass as a male and those who dont know me would think that any way / maybe, though how i interact with people and my mannerism,s and talking, they would soon change their minds ,

Oh well looks like not many here will wear Kilts , well if you did it would lend it,s self later if you did happen to put a skirt on some times,

...noeleena...

I feel that I should speak for a slightly different group of people for a moment. I stepped away from the site (all sites actually) for a few months or more, as recommended here, to sort out my own feelings on this transgendered path. I believe that I (among others here) am gender fluid or gender queer if you prefer. I don't really consider myself a man yet not really a woman either. Thus not a true crossdresser nor a transexual. It is like a limbo between the two genders.
    Wearing skirts, shaving my legs, presenting not fully, but as myself, tastefully, seems really really natural. I don't know if masculizing the skirt or going more for a blended look would make a psychological difference?
    I think, from other similar threads on this subject, that the fear is that there is a certain "shock value" that some CD's and even TS's have about this blended look. There is always going to be a few that go over the top, but I am speaking from the heart as a non threatening person. Of course if you wish to not offend (most), then shaving your legs and at least tempting to tuck reasonably is favorable over the hairy leg/pantyhose look, which understandably is rather off putting.
    I suppose that even a full on man in a skirt is not particularly offensive if they are mindful of the same basic guidelines that a woman would follow considering hair, skirt length, etc. (with a bit of attention to "flattening" the front).
    To answer the OP, I have seen a variety of men in skirts, yet I do live in a major scandinavian city, thus it is not as big a deal as it would be in USA. I honestly can say that the ones who are presenting tastefully (Even without wig, makeup, etc) are almost unnoticed, while the ones that wish to push buttons, do.
    PS: If you care to do this, then the absolute best advice I can give is to act normal! The more completely everyday normal you go about your routines, the less people will pay attention. Good luck!

I do shave my legs, and I wear hosiery at home, (not in public yet) This is less about being transgendered, or gender fluid, than it is about arguing what it means to be masculine/feminine.

What is wrong with a man displaying in this way? Yes, yes, I know it isn't accepted everywhere, but in the same way some parents are trying to protect themselves from the "princessification" of their daughters, why shouldn't a man be seen as a little softer? I've had some women at work compliment me on my legs when I walked through to the bike workshop in bike shorts, (it was partly humorous, but at least one was looking with a definite suggestive gleam in her eye)

The world is changing, sometimes the female is the pursuer, fine by me!
    Last edited by UNDERDRESSER; 09-18-2014 at 11:04 AM.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

I think men in skirts is not a cross dresser thing and I would not derive satisfaction out of it.
    Same as buying female undies for men.
    What's wrong with wearing female undies for females?
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Not the slightest little thing Beverly if that is what makes you happy!

There's a new comer to the female undies for men manufacturers that when I can bear to part with the $70+ for a set I'll happily buy since it will fit me like it was designed for me. Since it is! I guess I'm closer to Secret on that one. I don't like my dresses because they are ladies dresses, they just have to be dresses.
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by chrism View Post
    Alana, come on over to SkirtCafe dot Org and you'll find a lot of us, and happy to discuss it at length.

Chris
    Thank you Chris

I've joined Skirt Cafe and have done a lot of reading. Yesterday I paid a visit to my local thrift store and scored 3 pair of women's jeans and four denim skirts. I've just got to gather up the courage to wear one in public now. Somehow the thought is both scary and exhilarating.

I love skirts and would love to see this catch on
    Angie

The way to see it catch on is to do it yourself.

If my wife would not object so strongly, I would probably be skirted most if the time.

Yes 've seen a man in a skirt, in fact the first time was years ago, back in the early seventies my wife and I entered a store selling large pillows, hippy stuff, cheap way to fill up and empty apartment, and was seen as a cool way to furnish a place at the time. The man working in the store was a short dark haired man, stocky build, standard manly hair cut, loafers, and a tee shirt, the only thing strange was the robins egg blue pencil skirt he was wearing.
    I hadn't come out to the wife until just before we ran in to this store, and I was uncomfortable about what the wife might be thinking, and what she might think I would be doing, so I had a hard time dealing with the situation, and left shortly after we got there. A year later, I would have stayed and talked about it with him.
    I've seen CD's out and about since then many times, but not men in a skirt, until last weekend. I was parking the car down town, when a man with a beard walked down the other side of the street in a well worn faded blue denim skirt with a flair. I would have worn the dame skirt, but with a peasant top and a cute pair of boots. Oh, I almost for got, it was a few weeks ago, I was leaving Costco, when I spotted a guy up front of me in a green skirt that looked almost like it where made of canvas, a heavy working mans fabric, and a belt that looked like it could be a tool belt, very macho looking for a guy in a skirt. I guess it is getting more common.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

"Game Night" this past weekend.. guys I have known for 30 years.. We played a bunch of new board games, mostly pirate themed in honor of 'talk like a pirate' day.

I wore:

Painted fingers & toes, a 'geek' T-shirt (with sports bra beneath), black, two layer ruffley skirt, ankle bracelets, girl-sandals. They know I'm bi/pan, and take 'advantage' of that sometimes...

But not a word was said. I didn't treat it as unusual, neither did they.

But we did play a round of Cards Against Humanity, and MAN did my 'answers' reflect my sexuality & presentation!!! (You gotta take it from friends, folks... they wanna hurt you in that game, but only because they *get* you.)

I'd share some priceless answers here, but I'm afraid I'd face ModRage. (F@ce full for horse ***)........

*kisses!*

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Banned Read only
    If guys want to wear skirts, why not? I wear jeans and trousers and I don't feel any less feminine.

Hi Noeleena
    Ive worn kilts all my life from the age of 6. Apart from the obvious reasons in Scotland ie the kilt is the traditional mode of dress, I got to like the feel of a kilt and as you say, I have indeed worn a pleated skirt out too. It turned a few heads but I also recieved a few favourable remarks and compliments. I often wear a skirt about the house and luckily my wife doesnt mind at all.
    She does however insist on appropriate underwear at all times whether kilt or skirt.

Banned Read only
    Come to Scotland. Men in skirts welcome.

Hi Heather Ann
    I'm in Scotland and I agree. I see no reason why it shouldnt be acceptable for men to wear a skirts and I personally have been very happy to be able to wear kilts for all of my life till now.

Careful I bite <3
    If I could fit a more artsy style of clothing I would.