Thread: Just had a pleasant makeup buying experience...

Just had a pleasant makeup buying experience...

I decided I needed a new shade of nail polish so I walked into one of my local beauty supply stores while in guy mode. Usually I have no problem buying nail polish (or makeup in general), as I'm sure I'm not the only guy who goes in to that particular store to buy some (or maybe not). I also needed a hardening clear top, so I asked one of the ladies working there. She pointed me to it, and even mentioned which one was on sale. The weird moment came when the lady asked me who it was for - I didn't lie - and I got a weird look. So I just grabbed the nail polish and moved on to look at the eyeshadow palettes.

While doing so, the lady (talking to herself) started complaining about how someone had swept up something sticky with the broom, then passed the conversation over to me "these girls complain about being tired all the time and look at me, I'm twice their age with twice their energy."

"It's all about the attitude" I said. "You stay young because you feel young."

From there, we ended up having a wonderful five minute conversation about staying young while aging (though I'm 28, she was 65). Maybe it was the fact that I told her she looked 15 years younger (she really did)... while ringing me up she said a light eyeshadow would contrast well with my long eyelashes. She didn't ask if the palette was for me, but she assumed so, and with an accepting attitude.

I have now bought makeup several times and this is the only time I received any sort of odd looks, but I guess complimenting a woman never goes wrong, regardless of gender.

Platinum Member
    That was just what she wanted to hear. You have made a new friend and supporter!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Aspiring Member
    Middle of Oregon, on the West side, but my feet aren't wet!
    That was your good deed for the day Susana!

I had a similar experience this week buying some new make-up in a well know UK chemist chain. As I'd bought a couple of items from the same range I got a free 'gift box'. Whilst picking this up I was approached by a market researcher who asked me some questions about my purchases. Paying at the counter, the cashier cashed my items, she said 'Ooh I've got that gift box, those products are great' whilst looking we in the eye and smiling. Both women were non judgemental and super friendly.

Fiona
    Last edited by Fi Evo; 09-12-2014 at 05:48 AM.

Money and a winning smile will get you great service most anywhere.

Jodi

You did the right thing by taking her attitude and giving her a compliment you made her day. I bet she will be happy to wait on you next time. She might even have a different mindset about The next CD that comes in. They say a little kindness can go a long way.....