Thread: Just started seeing a gender therapist

Just started seeing a gender therapist

Just started seeing a gender therapist last week, yesterday was my second session, and he told me he feels comfortable enough to right me the letter to go on estradiol next week. He also gave me the number of a geneticist after he asked me if I shave or laser my legs and arms, I told him I don't do either, I am no hairier than the average woman with the exception of the face of course. My three brothers are extremely hairy. I also asked him if it was common for boys to get breast buds under their nipples when going thru puberty that just seem to dissolve over time. This did happen to me.He said no. Curious if anyone else had this happen during puberty.
    Sorry for rambling on.

Tina

Congrats on the therapy, it can be tough to start but well worth it.

I am more curious why he would ask if you shaved your legs? Seems like an odd question for a therapist to ask, unless you disclosed it before he asked it.

I think the fact that I am so hairless and being tan from the Florida sun, my legs have kind of a shine to them. Being I am seeing him for GD and to discuss possible transition, he may have thought I was doing things to look more feminine.
    Just a guess.
    I have to mention this, later that night, I was at a bar with some friends and a lady commented that I am too pretty for a guy, then she apologized. I said at my age I will take that. Actually I was tickled to death. Now other than my panties,I was wearing men's shorts and tee shirt and still sporting a goatee. It is as if these little signs are pointing me in the direction of what deep down I know I want to do.

Tina

Well my therapist gave me the letter yesterday. He gave me the names of a couple doctors that deal with TG people. He is suggesting a low level dosage to start to see if that will provide some emotional relief.
    Anyone else start on a low level dose of estradiol? And if so, has it helped and what if any are the side effects?
    Would sincerely appreciate any input.

Tina

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    Naturally hairless could suggest XXY (Kleinfelter's Syndrome).

Breast buds that dissolve again are not unusual during male puberty. I had one under my left nipple, and because I didn't have any clue what was happening, I was frightened that it was cancer. My mother took me to have it checked out. Once I knew it was safe, I mostly stopped paying attention to it.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    There can be a variety of reasons to start you on a low dose besides being sure whether you need to transition.

Unfortunately, not being a medical professional who has examined you it would be foolish to speculate on why your therapist is suggesting a low level.

I was started on a low dosage of estradiol valerate whilst they monitored how my body would react. My main feeling was "about time" and I did feel a little less stressed as well.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Thank you all for the responses.
    I do feel I need to transition, but there are some major hurdles to overcome. So at this point the low dose is to hopefully give me some emotional relief until I can deal with these hurdles. First and most important is I am not out to my daughter and son and anybody else for that matter. Second is I am currently in some financial distress at the moment. I really don't want to go into transition until I know for sure I won't lose my kids and I have the finances to do it right. I just turned 59 and am trying to set a goal of 62 when I can also collect S.S. Now if the low level doesn't cut it, then I will have to rethink the plan.
    Also I have a family business that is run by one of my brothers and on of my sisters and I. If you look up conservative, you will prolly see there picture. So good chance I would have to find a new way to make a living.

Tina