Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wig, make-up and doing laundry.

Wig, make-up and doing laundry.

Hi

It's been a while since I posted, but just wanted to tell I've made a few steps or decisions forward.

I've been living on my own for a few years, but was still doing my laundry at my parents (or actually my mom was doing this most of the time). It was easy, but since I want to dress more and more, and my parents don't know about it (yet), I couldn't really wash and dry my new clothes easily. Next week, I'll be buying a washer and dryer and will start doing my own laundry more and more. At least I won't have to be so scared of actually living in them at home.

I also have an appointment for a wig. The lady spoke about 400 EURO's, so I probably won't be buying instantly, but at least I get to see what's possible for me, and what's available.

Two weeks from now I also have an appointment for personal make-up advice. Last month I told my beautician about this other side to me. We had a heartwarming talk and she's more then happy to help me out and teach me the basics. I'm wondering who I'm going to see in the mirror .

Hi Helena,

Congratulations on moving up in the world. I know it doesn't sound like much, just a washer & dryer, but it contributes to your independence.

I know things are usually more expensive in Europe, I travel there on business, but 400 Euros for a wig sounds exorbitant to me. I just bought a new one in April and it was about $200 US. All the wigs in the shop were top quality and that was one of the most expensive. I would suggest price shopping if you can.

You will be amazed at how different you will look with the wig and makeup. Even separately they'll unlock the woman within. We've all gone through it and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, too many years ago.

Love,
    Linda W.

Platinum Member
    It will be a revelation, I assure you, particularly when you don a wig that is well suited to your facial structure. I find the stark contrast between wig and without to be quite startling...in a good way.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Read only
    Helena,

Unless your wig plans are for a custom fitted, human hair wig, 400 euro is crazy expensive. If you have no wig today, but one or two that are far more inexpensive to test different styles and colors and fit. Super expensive is not always better.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Helena,

Congratulations on your steps forward . . . very exciting. I agree with others here and 400 EUROs does seem expensive. I would do a bit of comparative pricing and see if you can find something a bit cheaper.

Hugs

Isha

Helena,

It's good to hear of your personal progress - a small increment in personal independence can bring a big benefit in confidence...

I have to echo Jennifer's comments on the wig... I think the wig lady has a good pair of binoculars and has seen you coming from a long way off, if you get my drift... There are plenty of suppliers in Europe who sell good value wigs (NOT party wigs) that are not nearly so expensive and will allow you to try different styles and colours... If you can't find European suppliers (I'd be surprised...) there are UK suppliers who will easily ship to Europe and quickly too... I have not paid more than 30-35 euros for a wig... I know mine are not top quality, but I am sure even 150-200 euros will get you a high quality purchase....

My advice: try some styles on with the wig lady but do not buy... Buy some cheaper, similar styled wigs that you can try longer term at home. Some may say that's not ethical - I don't believe a starting price of 400 euros is ethical either...

Good luck!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Sounds like good progress indeed

Aspiring Member
    Helena, I am happy for you! You will find these experiences to be very liberating! You will also find that there are beauticians and wig shop owners who are sympathetic to our needs. I have friends who frequent a friendly wig shop and are treated with the greatest respect. My own hairstylist knows all about me and we've had some great talks. (I tip her well!) My stylist is in a very competitive area where I live. She has come to my house just to play with different makeup looks. And she gets paid for her time and effort. Think of this --- Many stylists and those maintaining a business need to survive. Our money is just as green as anyone else's. At the same time we can form some nice relationships with them!

Cheryl

seems like you have a lot of great things going for you, Congratulations

Luv doing girl stuff CherylFlint's Avatar
    Way too much money for a wig.
    Give Beauty Trends and Paula Young a try, and go from there.
    I have 3 Beauty Trend wigs that I rotate. Allow at least a couple of days between wearing a wig. Never store in sunlight and always store a wig on a proper wig stand, one of those wire ones, and a $60 wig will last for years.
    Do NOT use any hair spray stuff, PLEASE!
    If one one my wigs ever needs washing I take it to a wig store where they'll make it look like new for half the price.
    Enjoy your new washer and dryer.
    Remember: hand wash bras and line dry.
    And congratulations on your new found freedom.
    Stay safe and have fun.
    Last edited by CherylFlint; 09-13-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Ebay has various styles of synthetic wigs in many colors, all for under $25. Find a color and style that suits you, then decide if you need on made of real hair.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

That is a great decision. There is nothing quite so rewarding in this world as being independent and confident in yourself. Congratulations

Helena,
    400 euros would buy you a very good wig.
    I would look at other suggestions listed here first.
    Happy investigations to you.
    I will be pleased to see what you eventually choose.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Thank you all for the kind words and tips.

I went to the wig-appointment today. It was actually a sweet old lady that meant well, but assumed I would be living as a woman within a year, and although I'm not saying I never will, it's certainly not within the next year. The cheapest she had was 270 EUR, the most expensive one I tried was 620 EUR, but she insisted I would start with a 400 EUR version if I were to buy one someday. With the cheaper version people would see it's a wig and might laugh.

I didn't buy off course, but I'm glad I went. I was a little uneasy in the beginning, seeing myself with longer hair, not really satisfied with the picture but when I had the expensive one on, with long hair over my shoulders, I got this warm feeling inside, I somehow really liked what I saw, so I'm definitely getting a wig.

I'll be making a new appointment this evening somewhere else to get a second opinion hopefully in a different price range.

400 euros, it's really expensive for a first wig. I mean I won't spend 400 before testing different hairstyles with cheaper ones.
    "Fashion is neither moral or immoral, but it is for rebuilding the morale" Karl Lagerfeld

Sometimes when get all dressed, in my forms, my makeup and wig, I catch myself just standing in front of the mirror and wondering who I really am inside and out. It can be a marvelous feeling to make you feel young and energetic then sometimes I think who am I fooling. All I have concluded is Jaylyn is one mixed up crazy person but he/she loves it.

Careful I bite <3
    If you want the best wigs in the world, 400 pounds actually is just a starting point. This assumes human hair, lace, custom fit. The idea of these types of wigs is to cut and style them as you own them over time (mostly style to not lose length). If you take great care of them they can be VERY much worth it. This assumes normally that you have a great stylist and know kind of how to frame your face properly with hair.

For you to explore, unless your cap size is way out of the ordinary for wigs, you can actually play around A LOT with looks for the prices people are suggesting. Great OTR wigs tend to be well below $400USD. With these (especially the $25 ones), you can make lots of mistakes, and try lots of looks, before you invest in something more permanent (if you think you need it).

Hi all

I've been to the other appointment on friday and it was somewhat the same story. Amazing wigs for amazing prices.
    I tried on many wigs in different price ranges. The cheaper synthetic wigs, some like you can find online for cheaper prices, made me want to look away. I would feel uneasy wearing them, even by myself at home.
    One (more expensive) wig in particular made me feel amazing and confident. I felt myself going out with it one day. I can't stop thinking about it. What can I say, I'm in love with it .
    Considering the shape of my face, longer hair is what I will be going for in any case.

I'm letting it rest for a few days to let it sink in. Buying something online would benefit my wallet, but I might get something I would never wear even at home. Investing in a wig that made me feel like I felt on friday would certainly benefit my confidence and overall feeling. Pfff, all these choices and decisions, just to feel and see more of me .

Careful I bite <3
    I know it's been a few weeks. So did you buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Badwolf View Post
    I know it's been a few weeks. So did you buy it?
    Yeah, I bought it, you can see it in this post.

There is another option. Grow your own hair longer if your employer will accept it. I wore wigs for long time and the immediate transformation is truly remarkable. However I was never satisfied with the look when pulling my hair back or up because it was then apparent it was a wig in sunlight. So I started growing my own hair out and now is about mid down my back. One advantage I didn't think about when I started this was I could still see a little of Samantha looking back at me in the mirror when en drab. That's a comforting feeling.

Others can't tell you how much is too much to spend for a wig. Only you know your budget, your preferred style and color, and level of quality you desire.

Reality Check
    That wig looks good but no better than the one I bought from paulayoung.com for $70 or so. I don't know what that is in euros.

One mistake I think many crossdressers make when ordering wigs on-line is not knowing that wigs come in specific sizes and that you have to measure your head and buy one that fits. The other mistake they make is buying long glamor wigs, not wigs that a woman who needed a wig would buy and wear.

Banned Read only
    Helena,
    If I was to pay 400 euros I would want it on a proper wig stand, but mine like possibly many others probably gets squashed in a box along with forms and other stuff and left in a less than ideal storage situation for days on end !
    If you're not going to dress 24/7 think hard about spending a stash of money on one wig !!

Quote Originally Posted by SamanthaSometimes View Post
    There is another option. Grow your own hair longer if your employer will accept it. I wore wigs for long time and the immediate transformation is truly remarkable. However I was never satisfied with the look when pulling my hair back or up because it was then apparent it was a wig in sunlight. So I started growing my own hair out and now is about mid down my back. One advantage I didn't think about when I started this was I could still see a little of Samantha looking back at me in the mirror when en drab. That's a comforting feeling.
    Agreed. Depending on your job, start with a unisex 'do for your existing hair, and as you transition, let it grow out and become more feminine. I never looked good in a wig, so that's the path I took from guy to babe. It also allows you to become more comfortable with makeup and wardrobe selection.