Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who have recovered from major surgery

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar

For those who have recovered from major surgery

Do you find it easier on yourself to just CD a little during that process in some ways? I'm finding that I can't do much with my arms because my sternum was broken to do the bypass, so it's easier for me to wear a short skirt when I need to get back and forth to the bathroom. Taking pants on and iff is quite the ordeal. The nurse at the hospital suggested looking into a kilt, and my wife even mentioned in front of her parents that I might need to wear one of her skirts for comfort and utility! Stretchier clothes are more comfortable right now also. I even borrowed one of her sweaters in the hospital last week.

Just curious how many of ya'll have noticed your feminine clothing being better suited for comfort during such times?

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I hope your recovery continues on beautifully!
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

After I had rotator cuff surgery my dressing opportunities evaporated until my arm healed enough to be semi-usable.

I do remember using pantyhose for the control top after my vasectomy. It was much more comfortable than an athletic supporter. Unfortunately I had to cut the legs off to keep the illusion going for the kids.

Thank you Sarah.

Linda, I know what you mean. I have to keep blankets over my legs in case family drops in, or the kids are in the area.

Doesn't need to involve surgery. Skirts are more comfortable for everyday living, simple as that.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

Hi, Allison,

I didn't have chest surgery like you, but a few years ago I had a series of rectal surgeries that kept me in mesh panties and maternity pads for several months. Regular clothing was a real pain (both literally and figuratively) to deal with. I wish I could have worn a skirt in those days, but with a non-supportive spouse, the best I could do was a long bathrobe or sweat pants.

If you can get the kilt, go for it!

Susie

During my surgery (similar to yours) and recovery, I really didn't give half a hoot about what I looked like or who might see me that way, so if I felt that a skirt might be more practical, I'm sure I would have just gone ahead and worn one. On the other hand, I also didn't have much interest in crossdressing (or dressing of any kind) at the time, and probably the psychological benefits of wearing a skirt would have been completely lost on me. So I didn't bother, and as I recall, spent most of my recovery time alternating between a couple of pairs of loose elastic-waisted sweat pants that could go up and down, on and off easily as needs required.

I did get to wear some official medical compression stockings (similar to very firm thigh highs) for a couple of weeks, but they weren't very feminine, and nothing's actually any fun if a doctor orders you to wear it!

- Diane

Allison, I think you have an iron clad excuse to wear anything you want right now. Many years ago I had my tubes tied. I had about a 4 or 5 inch incision along my bikini line, and my insides literally tied in knots. I wore really loose stretchy pants for a while and didnt care how it looked. It didnt occur to me to wear a skirt, and I dont think I would have felt cofortable in one, but if you want to, I think you definitely should.
    Last edited by Andy66; 09-15-2014 at 03:15 AM.

I had emergency surgery a few months ago for a strangulated hernia which had wrapped itself around my bowel, since i come out of hospital i have no desire to dress mainly because i have a swollen stomach and not much fits me anymore

Hi

Hope your mending is going well .

To get dressed for myself took 1 /.2 an hour for quite a few weeks most time and some days an hour, no bra.s that was well and truly out, tops only just got them on and skirts were all i could wear any way , socks 1/4 of an hour sneakers just slip in to them ,most times if i missed another bloody struggle .....

Who ever come to vist me i asked them to help did not care who male or female, or our dog. had no strength so getting out of bed 10 min,s to 20 min,s ,

Getting in to bed had to sit on it then roll over on to my back . so yeap every day was a long day just doing any thing ,

As for showers ...right....no way ....unless some one helped me it did not happen .

you have breast surgerys youv lost it even with help arms not above your shoulders

Middle surgerys Hmmm.....walking was okay no bending no running getting in and out of cars, oh yea, slow as ,

The worst was .... this is the mind game..... getting dressed , and then you think i,v got to get undressed and when you do its later i,v got to do it all again day after bloody day .

it was driving me mad. and then oh heck ,,,do i have to get up....oh no not another long day .

That covered 3 months and even later some time id loose it and need help . well over 6 months to regain proper use of my arms ,

Clothes were like a straight jacket and thats how it felt ,,

...noeleena...

Noeleena, Andy, Emma Louise and Susie- I can't say my experience is quite as painful as yours sounded. I am able to get in and out the recliner unassisted about half the time, and can make it to the bathroom and do most things unassisted. I cannot wear pants unless my wife pulls them down and up for me. A skirt solves that for me. I warned my mom last night not to be shocked if she came by today and saw that.

Underdresser- you are right, but my normal situation doesn't allow it 100% right now.

I got the main dressings removed today and I have to say, we live in a great time when you can have major surgery, and six days later you're not even wearing a dressing anymore, walking around, and able to do some things for yourself.

Now, about these weird nightmares I'm having after taking percocet....

6 surgeries was told I wouldn't walk again-I did beat the odds & I'm considered a miracle of sorts being considered disabled but back to my job, minus 6/1/2 years rehab time. The dressing was stifled by the medication. How Not sure! But as comfort food comforts so I quickly found out my dressing comforts as-well.

The funny twist is the Doc recommended Diabetes socks or tights to aid in keeping my legs feeling better. So I laugh now since I have medical advice to wear certain clothes. So its not an odd sight to see me with tights and leggings on as I'm doing household chores-Once anyone asks & I tell them they laugh but they need no further explanation.

But yes my 8 plus surgeries did take its toll-& I'd probably blame the medication as my desire killer--But the experience has brought my personal understanding up a few notches and has allowed me to open fully to some and slightly to others. Hope all y/all rehabs go well--

Allison, Im sure your surgery was much more uncomfortable than mine, especially since they had to break bones. Ouch. I hope youre feeling better and up to mischief in no time. Haha!

Of all the surgeries I've ever had none of the surgical wounds were conducive to wearing any type of female clothing except for the time I crushed my foot and broke my ankle. But at that time everyone was wearing nylons or pantyhose and I couldn't get either on. Of course now just wearing a dress with a walking cast would be perfectly normal.

Of course when I had my breast surgery I could've taken my doctor's assistants advice and worn a bra. She recommended an 'A' cup. My wife told me when we got home there was no way I would be wearing a bra. (sigh)

Had ankle surgery a couple of years ago. Worked from home during the time, and stayed in skirts or my nightgown. Made things much easier.
    DonnaT

Had an appendectomy when I was a teenager, before laparoscopic surgery became into general use for this procedure. A panty girdle lessened the pain by supporting the muscles cut and sutured to gain access to my distended appendix.

I had a quadruple heart bypass operation in March this year, and on the morning of the operation, the young female nurse had to shave my chest and legs as they were opening up my chest and using the veins in the legs for replacement veins, and I don't think the nurse had done this before as she wasn't too sure how much of the legs to shave. I told her to just shave the entire legs and you can't go wrong. She did this and commented on how smooth my legs felt, and she was right. I have kept shaving them ever since.
    I have recovered from the operation and am feeling better than ever, although with the scar down my chest, I have trouble wearing a dress with a plunging neckline.

Aspiring Member
    I had a major brain operation last January, an implant to control my Parkinson's (DBS) I didn't notice and particular problem in "dressing" other than around my chest where the battery powered stimulator was connected.

In fact I've stepped up my lifestyle several notches in the last 10 months. My neurologist commented the "Mirapex" which I take to control my shakes causes one to engage in impulsive behavior!

Danielle

Quote Originally Posted by Tania75 View Post
    I had a quadruple heart bypass operation in March this year, and on the morning of the operation, the young female nurse had to shave my chest and legs as they were opening up my chest and using the veins in the legs for replacement veins, and I don't think the nurse had done this before as she wasn't too sure how much of the legs to shave. I told her to just shave the entire legs and you can't go wrong. She did this and commented on how smooth my legs felt, and she was right. I have kept shaving them ever since.
    I have recovered from the operation and am feeling better than ever, although with the scar down my chest, I have trouble wearing a dress with a plunging neckline.
    Tania, not sure if it was an option, my surgeon used something called a WoundVac which has made the chest scar smaller and long term, less obvious. Veins came from my leg too, and I have not heard the end of the teasing from family about the shaved legs!

Hi Allison,

I didn't have much say in what the surgeon decided was the best for me, but there are no external stiches and the wound is as neat as possible. I bruise easily, so any wound takes a while to heal.
    Taking a positive attitude, it means I will just have to buy another outfit or two which hide the scars. Such a sacrifice, and of course a pair of heels to match the outfit are a must.

I had prostate proceedure for enlarged prostate and had to have a cafeter, so I wore a skirt for that. Daughter (nurse) didn't say anything about it. Have had swelling problems in my lower legs and female Dr told me to wear support thigh highs, not knee highs. That has been followed a lot except when wearing shorts at work during the summer.
    Chelle

Platinum Member
    I don't know if I am as a committed cross dresser as some of you. I had non emergency abdominal surgery awhile ago. I spent the summer in my backyard soaking up the sun's rays. I had no desire to do much of anything. Yep, it was baggy sweat pants and a tee shirt. I do have several men's sleep shirts which were very comfortable. Frankly, when I was recovering I had absolutely no desire to be en femme, although I think wearing an empire waist dress would have been more comfortable and going commando in the underwear department. But, alas, DADT precluded that.

Hope everybody's surgical outcome were successful.

I had major surgery for an aortic dissection two years ago. Between three weeks in the hospital and another month in rehab I just couldn't wait to get back home to my clothes

I've had more than my share of surgeries over the past few years, 3 middle ear procedures, a craniotomy, a BAHA hearing implant and a few orthopedic things.
    Honestly, when I was dealing with all that, kinda changed my prospective on life in general. As for CD'ing, enjoy it more than ever when I get the chance, but it's just one part me.

How timely a post.!! I am going through this right now myself!

Right now, I am going into my 4th week post-op just having had a right Total Hip Replacement (THR) arthroplasty. This is also my 3rd general anesthesia surgery within the past 12 months. Currently, I am actually doing quite very well, and am ahead of where a person should be at this point of time in their recovery for a THR---thanks in part that I had a Direct Anterior Approach (relatively new) v. a traditional posterior approach (I did not want a 6-7 inch big scar down my right bum cheek!!!) ---I am making fast progress, and am already off the walker, and only using a cane for longer walks. Around the house I am ambulating without any assistance. However, my procedure (which I HAD to have done--my hip was bad---way, way too much ballet!) has certainly yes put a damper on my dressing. I am still somewhat uncomfortable with post-op muscle & bone pain from the cutting, hacking, chiseling, and reaming out that was done (think of major orthopedic surgery as carpentry for the bones.)

Right now I don't even feel like getting dressed really, or even putting on any make-up, ect. I just don't feel very (my usual) feminine or desiring to be enfemme right now a days. . . I just feel blah, blah as I am at home recovering, just siting around, and can't drive for 4 more weeks.

Around the house I am just wearing everyday panties, sweats or ladies sports shorts, sport's bra's and t-shirt's. Can't wear much female stuff as I am going to PT 4 X a week for the next 6 weeks. I have restrictions for the next 6 months and some permanently so no more ladylike leg/knee crossing, and putting on pantyhose or stockings is certainty out till I finish re-hab on my leg, as I can't bend over or forward less than 90 degrees. So putting on shoes is tough. I am not getting any body hair waxing done until at least the end of October, so I will certainly be a hairy beast when I go back. Something I have not been for over 4 years now. Same for toe nail polish - none of that as I am in PT and have many Ortho follow-up appointments.

The hardest thing for me though is going to be going back to ballet, and having to modify my practice of it. Some of my permanent restrictions will prohibit me from doing some of the barre' exercises with my grand battaments, turn's, pieque' turns, and stretching exercises. No more jumping---ever! But I have talked with my instructors and they are willing to work with me to be able to get back into class and will modify my ballet workouts so I do not take the chance to dis-locate my new hip, which would require one to have a revision surgery.

Also, I am going to have to figure out what I can do to cover up my scar once it heals----Spray on leg make-up Here I Come!!!

Once I heal up I should physically feel a lot better with my recreational adult ballet training, and my stamina to go out in general, as Osteoarthritis makes one very tired. It's been fairly painful these last two years in class, but I have to say my ballet training did keep me in very good shape and strong for this major surgery, and I recommend to anyone to try to get themselves in the best shape possible if you have to go into major surgery.
    Last edited by Sarah V; 10-19-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Sarah[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

"Sport is for men.......But Ballet is for women" ---- George Balenchine