Thread: Going out dressed up

Going out dressed up

Another going out for the first(second time) post. This is for those that have been contemplating an excursion dressed up. I know for me, it was beneficial to read about others going out so I thought I would share. This will be a long post for sure. I've only ever been out once before dressed up and that was before I accepted myself as a crossdresser (costume party) so I don't really count that as my first. I made contact with Tri Ess, a crossdressing social community that has chapters all over the country. This chapter was in Salt Lake City, about an hour and half away from me. I needed a reason to go out so that I could get comfortable with myself dressing and going out in public. I was tired of putting all the effort in to getting ready just to confine myself to house. So, I decided I wanted to feel out this group and maybe join if it was something that was a good fit for me. Prior to being allowed to attend the meeting, I had to meet with someone from the organization. I had to talk to someone aside from my fiancé about this side of me which was a little scary in itself. Once I had gotten over the initial anxiety, the meeting went well and I was told the specifics of the meeting. I also found out that they were doing a photo shoot as well. This sounded like it was going to be a lot of fun.

I was conflicted with emotion. I was excited to finally meet others in person, something I wanted for months but I was also terribly nervous. Besides the obvious reason of going out dressed, I can be a bit shy which I think is worse when dressed. I started preparing on Friday for a Saturday early evening meeting. Body hair removal can take me a while if I want to do it well and I had some plans on Saturday morning. Over the course of Friday night into Saturday afternoon, I slowly worked to get myself ready. I tried a couple of new things for it including taping for cleavage (which I still need to practice). While I was trying to tape myself, I had accidentally got the tape on my freshly painted fingernails, ruining them. Argh! This sent me in a frenzy because I had to leave at a certain time that was quickly approaching and I had to still put on my makeup. I added some touch up to the nails that while covered the whole nail but looked terrible upon closer inspection. I finished getting ready and had everything was packed up. I packed an extra outfit for the photo shoot, make up for touch ups and all of my necessities in my purse. I was ready to leave but nervous to step outside the door. I live in a condominium complex so I checked the windows to see if there were any kids nearby but there were none, not a single one (which is unusual for a warm sunny afternoon). I cracked the door open just a bit to listen for their characteristic screaming/playing but it was pretty quiet.

I thought to myself that this was it. It had to be now or I'd be late. I threw on some sunglasses, took a deep breath and opened the door. I couldn't believe what I was doing. I thought to myself "You are walking around outside in a dress and tights in the middle of the afternoon." I walked towards my car and my heart leapt. Someone who was parked next to my car was getting ready to leave as I was walking out. It wasn't someone I knew but I've seen them several times living here for a year. I never talked to them or even made eye contact. Without missing a step, I continued like everything I was doing was normal. In my head, I was hoping to come off as sibling that was borrowing my car rather than me dressed as a woman. Thinking that helped give me some confidence to keep at it. I tossed my bags in the car and even took care to try to enter my car like a lady (Butt in first and swing the legs in together). I waited a minute after starting the car to make sure my neighbor had left. I cranked up the A/C and then I was off. While trying to get out of town, I had a few situations where I had to check for cars that caused me to face several people. Not one eye brow was raised. That made me feel better. I kept thinking to myself, "Women come in all shapes and sizes. I could come across as a woman even if I do have some manly features." The drive was rather uneventful. I listened to the pop station and practiced my feminine voice (still needs work :P) as I drove. I kept checking the cars that passed me for double takes or weird looks but my anxiety was unjustified. Nobody gave me a second look. I made it to the meeting location and parked on the street. It was a short walk but I started noticing all the people on the sidewalk. I kept my head down with my purse and backpack in tow. I wasn't sure if people noticed but I didn't hear any chuckling or comments as I passed by. The people just kept to themselves. At the meeting, I practiced talking feminine as much as I could and got some pictures taken. My social anxiety kept me from talking a lot to others but everyone was much more outgoing than I was. I should have stopped for a drink before going to help loosen me up. Haha. It was a great night and leaving was even more uneventful because it was dark out. The anxiety of driving while dressed was gone since no one could really see me. I got home around 10:30 and my fiancé was already in bed (she had an early day the next day). I was exhausted and ready to join her. Satisfied with how the day went, I got ready for bed.

On a side note, be careful when applying tape to your body. I was removing some and actually took off some skin. This might be the motivation to actually go and buy some forms. I hope this is helpful to anyone that is struggling with going out. If I can get myself to do it, anyone can. Being in a rush certainly kept me from overthinking about it. One thing to remember (that many will agree with) is most people are so caught up in their own thoughts to notice others. Sorry for the long read but thanks for reading it anyway. Maybe I'll post some pics later.

WOW! Quite an experience. One I will probably never have the nerve to experience! KUDO's..
    ps: we want pics.. !!
    "If it feels good.. - Wear it"!

Wow, so great Ryce. Very happy for you that it went so well. It will get easier each time. This must have been a real confidence boost for you.
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

You are so right about posting your story for inspiration to others. I'm glad you did it. And the more you go out, the more you'll enjoy it.

I'm glad it went well for you.
    Last edited by Kim_Bitzflick; 10-09-2014 at 06:47 PM.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

Well done Ryce, I am happy for you that it all went well. It does get easier and less stressful the more you do it. You are right, most people on the street are too busy to notice and if they do most do not care any way. Thanks for your post. Sharing does help encourage others. My own determination and courage were reinforced by reading the stories of others like you who were kind enough to share.

I look forward to hearing of your next adventure.

Hugs
    Michelle

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Welcome to our group and lovely pictures, nice job on the makeup

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    Congrats! I know how exciting that first time can be

Congratulations, Ryce! I know what you mean about social anxiety. I've also been there, as far as the anxiety goes (and messing stuff up like nails! ) It does get less nerve-wracking, and even pretty natural, or did for me. And Michelle is right about other people, many people have their own thoughts, concerns, etc., and/or don't care much about other people just going about their business. By that I mean, they are going about they're business and are happy to let others be; live and let live.

Luv doing girl stuff CherylFlint's Avatar
    Good for you on your outing.
    Always remember to pack a drab outfit in a duffle bag in case you have car problems. I learned the hard way.
    Tape? A CD can live without tape.
    The more you go out in the world the easier and thus more relaxing it gets.
    Stay safe and, above all, have fun.

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar
    Good job, Ryce! I also know how scary those initial experiences can be...two years ago, I thought I would never step outside as a woman. Now, I have social obligations as Amy! I also know what it's like to help other girls get out for the first time...it's very liberating!

Keep it up...soon you'll be skipping out without a care in the world!

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Quite an outing

Way to go girl!! Sounds wonderful.
    Big Hug

Thank you everyone for all the kind words. It was the first step in becoming more confident and comfortable with myself. Hopefully, there will be many more outings to come.

What a great outing dear Ryce, am really happy for you that you made it so great and enjoyable. First time outing is very scary and I know the feel of being shy and checking everything about your dress and makeup. Seems you really enjoyed it a lot and preparing for the second outing, keep it doing girl. Life is too short to be shy and be afraid of not going out.

Use a cheaper tape from dollar store which doesn't hold too well to skin and put them on in layers. I use three layers and they form cleavage with breast enhancers in the bra. Let me know if you need some help and I will probably see you on webcam sometimes. Take care sweetie, can't wait for your second story of going out

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    "Maybe" post some pics? Lol.
    You must.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Gone to live my life
    Hi Ryce,

CONGRATS! . . . it will only get easier as your comfort level rises in sync with your confidence. I think for those of us who have gone out . . . we have all felt and probably can remember that "first time anxiety" but oh my goodness that feeling of "bliss" when the night has ended and your return home shouting in your head "I was really out in the world" ... a priceless memory. Thanks for sharing and here is to more Ryce time out and about.

Hugs

Isha

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    I am impressed. Congratulations. I admire your bravery!

Those first trips out are precious. It's tasting FREEDOM for the first time in your life.

I remember my first ones, including a meeting like the one you went to. It's great that you have found a support group as well.

Enjoy your new found freedom, and live!
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

Thank you for sharing your story. It gives those of us who are on the fence about going out, more courage.
    Di

Ryce,
    It can be easy, present well and no one notices.

I was wearing my boots and skinny jeans today in drab, I did get three "nice boots" comments.
    I think it was sarcasm though.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Way-ta- go Ryce!!!

If I had a cheerleader outfit I'd put it on and work the pom-poms! There's nothing like the first time. The anxiety, the "Am I really doing this?" And eventually, the "Yes , I really did it!"

Congratulations, and thanks for the post. Maybe it 'll be the straw on someone's camel that finally gets them OUT and about:-)

Jaye
    Satchel was right, something is gaining on me...And God bless the creator of e-cigs!

Well done Ryce.
    You go girl :-)

Gold Member
    Ryce, I am sorry for the late response as I haven't been keeping up on this side of the forums and just saw this.

What you have done is a very difficult, but rewarding thing. It is tough to get out in view the first time and it still will be to some level on additional outings. It does get easier for most of us though. You may find that frequency helps and then if you take a break, some old nerves can come back.

But you did it! We were very glad to see you and I am glad you had a good time. Drop me a note whenever you want to get out (I am a little closer than SLC) and we can see if we sync up.

Way to go nice pictures I recently started to go out again after a long break I know the feeling! I have since gone out three times in public dressed up, it felt so good!!!