Thread: Two small gestures of acceptance.

Two small gestures of acceptance.

I came out to my daughters a couple of years ago after they had left home for college.

My older daughter seemed to take it in stride. The younger has needed a bit more time to work it out.

A few months after I came out, my older daughter gave me a lipstick for my birthday. I thought that it was a very nice gesture. The lipstick was quite orange and I only used it a couple of times when I wore outfits that it complimented, but the fact that she gave it to me was the important thing.

A few days ago my younger daughter saw that lipstick in the lipstick tray. She thought the color was pretty and asked if she could have it. Of course I gave it to her!

The fact that she was comfortable enough with me to ask that question was a gift in itself!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Really nice of both of them! Glad they are now accepting..
    I am going to be working on the SO to let the step-daughters know of my 'hobby'..
    Things would be so much easier..
    "If it feels good.. - Wear it"!

Aw, that's sweet, Eryn. It's so nice when the women in our lives acknowledge us and show their acceptance by such gestures. One of the best presents I EVER got was a pair of earrings from my niece my next birthday after I came out to her. Very fitting earrings for my taste and style, too. I always think of her when I wear them.

(I like your sig quotes, too)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashley Lyn View Post
    Really nice of both of them! Glad they are now accepting..
    I am going to be working on the SO to let the step-daughters know of my 'hobby'..
    Things would be so much easier..
    Things are certainly easier, a lot less sneaking around when they are home. We waited until they left home to tell them. I didn't want to burden them with keeping my secret when they still lived and were active socially in the local community. Like most young people, they were both supportive of the LGBT community but of course there is a huge difference between having a gay friend or two and finding out that one's own father is "T"

Everyone's situation varies and I hope that you and your spouse can work together to come up with a plan that is comfortable for all involved.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

What a nice story, Eryn.
    Last edited by Andy66; 09-15-2014 at 03:38 AM. Reason: speeling

That's so sweet.
    Don't be surprised when you become the sole make up buyer, and all your stuff is "borrowed"
    Many times I've been left with an empty mascara, missing lipsticks - but it's worth every cent.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Eryn, it is nice that you now have the acceptance from your daughters.
    When Jean and I got married, her daughter, now mine, was 21 at the time. When we told her about me, she just said she saw the large shoes in the closet and was wondering what her mom was making me do!
    She has always accepted and has been a shopping buddy ever since.

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Always love sweet stories like yours Eryn.

Eryn,
    Gestures like this help put you back in your comfort zone.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

It's like the circle of life
    Samantha -x-

That is so good to here, sometime it the little thing that matter.

Platinum Member
    It's interesting that kids accept in their own way and in their own time. As parents, we have to have the patience and maturity to let them the freedom to get to that point on their own schedule. As you have shown, eventually they get there.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt