Thread: Flying pretty. Up up and away?

Flying pretty. Up up and away?

Hi all.

I've been reading all the posts about flying pretty. If you haven't read my most recent post, I'll be hitting Las Vegas in a few weeks. After getting married to a very very wonderful and supportive GG (who is a MAC trainer), I'm mixing work with a getaway/late honeymoon to Vegas where my mother and sister will meet up with us (they both know about and have met Veronica, so that, thank goodness, is not a problem).

The problem is that I am considering flying pretty, and even after reading the many flying pretty posts here, I keep coming up with too many reasons against it.

I really would like everyone's two cents (or two yen, if you like...the exchange rate is moving in your favor!).

--- The leg from Japan to California
    * To begin with, I wonder how seriously the immigration officials would take it that a man (a foreigner, to boot) is trying to leave the country dressed, um, differently. My character by nature is one where I just want to fly under the radar. I don't mind extra patdowns at all (heck, I can see an upside to them!), but not sure if there would be extra scrutiny, and if so, if it's worth it.
    * Second, it's a very long flight. Wearing a wig for at least 12 hours (and that doesn't count the time before boarding)? I have been on very hot airplanes before (turning the air does little but shoot air at me). How does one sleep with the wig on, not to mention being in make-up for that amount of time? Having a MAC wife can only get me so far, I'm thinking...
    * Then of course immigration. I don't foresee any real problem, but I have the feeling I will be so disheveled from the flight (sometimes I feel like I just went a round or two with Mike Tyson after I step off the plane) that any idea of feeling feminine will be nothing but a total fantasy.

-- The leg from California to Las Vegas
    * I would have relatively little time to change (assuming customs goes without a hitch) but it may be possible. Would breastforms in the carryon be ok? I know they are classified as medical devices, but does one actually have to be wearing them to be considered as such?
    * I could go halvsies, that is, change into at least skirt, pumps, earrings, necklace, etc., but forgo makeup and wig. Is that really "flying pretty", though? Seems like "flying less drab".

-- The return trip
    * It might make more sense to fly pretty LV to Cali, then change in Cali before traveling back to Japan (going into Japan as a foreigner is worse than leaving because they actually TAKE YOUR FINGERPRINTS AND PHOTO when you enter. Needless to say, I don't need that kind of photo or publicity).

As I said in another thread, Veronica might be able to go out Saturday evening. Besides gay bars or grocery shopping or Walmart at 2 in the morning, she hasn't really been out in the U.S. to "normal" places (but that was a long time ago, and it's a bit of a different story in Japan). I don't fly anywhere in Japan. I sort of think this is my best shot at flying pretty in the U.S., or flying pretty period!

Of course, although my wife will accompany me and she says go for it (she is so supportive and wants me to be me), I nevertheless feel that I should step up and be the man and help pick up her suitcase when checking in and do all the chivalry stuff for her etc. etc. etc. Would be difficult to do as Veronica.
    BUT: I also have an automatic supporter flying with me.
    BUT BUT: Upon arrival and during my entire U.S. stay, I'll not only be working, but I'll be fighting jet lag, doing things with the wife and family, not to mention trying to get a little shopping in. Conserving energy (i.e., flying drab) seems more practical.

In the end, as you can tell, I'm leaning toward the drab side. I wonder if anyone has flown pretty such distances (from the time I leave the house to the time I arrive at the hotel stateside, I'm looking at about 24 hours total).

Should I just suck it up and fly pretty at some point (like within the U.S. legs) or just let this dream remain a dream.

Thank you in advance.

I have never flown, let alone been out of my house pretty, but I have flown numerous times to the US on twenty four hour trips with 10 hour time zone differences. The more I do it the less I like it, and I certainly do not arrive at my destination in the best of shape. Also, last July going through passport control at Chicago O'hare I had to go through a line that leads to one of those new automatic passport machines that takes your picture. So you might consider that the International leg is not the time to venture out on a first.

Yes! I forgot about the O'Hare cameras at immigration (duh, I went through that automatic immigration line this year!). Well, that alone probably cuts the international legs out. Thank you for reminding me!

It can be an adventure if you let it! Worst realistic situation is being shown to a private screening room,and you pick up your wig for them and then you will mostly match your PP picture... If they ask you "Why are you travelling like this ?" A good answer[that works] is that "you are hoping to have surgery after this year..BUT it is SO expensive!" [A plausable but totally unverifiable statement !]if you are comfortable with your being,you will enjoy the experiences! Also,clip your hair up and you will be cooler if it gets too hot... Have fun!
    Last edited by Rogina B; 09-16-2014 at 07:07 AM. Reason: additional thought
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Hi Lily

I've flown pretty many times in Australia and it is such a high (literally also). There are quite a number of threads here from ladies such as TxKimberley that are helpful from a US perspective.

Even with a lot of experience, I wouldn't attempt an international flight of such length. Long flights are such a drag the last thing I would want is the added inconvenience and stress. If you had time and access to a business lounge you could try changing on arrival in the US. Or just enjoy your wife's company and go for it in Vegas.

Make sure if you do fly pretty that you let us know how it went.

Since it is a "late honeymoon to Vegas" I would say go dressed as the husband.

You might consider wearing compression stockings, however, for better blood clot control on the plane.
    DonnaT