Thread: Well, that was strange...

Well, that was strange...

So, I'm at a shoe store with my wife. I'm in guy mode. (Actually, I've never been out of the house dressed.)

Anyway, my wife is looking at some shoes, and from behind me I hear, "Are you ladies finding everything ok?" I turn around to a suddenly horrified SA. She instantly apologized.

My wife later jokingly says to me, "That wasn't insulting to you, was it?" Nope.

Funny thing is, I'm 6'1", somewhere north of 250 lbs. The only thing I think is remotely feminine about my appears is my shoulder-length hair.

My guess is she saw my wife, and my hair, and didn't look any closer. Still felt kind of good though. :-)

Gone to live my life
    Hi Becky,

Cute story. You are probably right as most people taking certain details and finish the picture off themselves. The SA is probably so used to dealing with women and seeing your wife you long hair the automatic response "Are you ladies finding everything okay?"

Hugs

Isha

Just goes to show that every detail of appearance is not scrutinized to every degree. I wonder if the outcome would have been any different if you were looking at tyres?

I've been "Mam'ed" a few times from behind, once by a policeman who pulled us over for having a headlight out and a couple of times at restaurants. My hair was long but not that long. They apologized and I told them it wasn't necessary. Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Careful I bite <3
    I've had similar experiences, with my SO saying the same thing as well.

that happens to me an awful lot. i use to hate it but now i knida enjoy it and joke back, saying did i leave some lipstick on...
    it is good for one's confidence too...lol
    the funny thing is i get called, miss ma'am lady, when in guy mode, but then when i'm
    dressed i stopping hearing that???????
    paula

Aspiring Member
    Spirits in the air. Sometimes you will be putting off energy you don't even realize it but the universe does and leads someone (the sales girl) to respond accordingly.

Funny thing is that it all just makes me wonder how people perceive me. My wife & my therapist both say there are some feminine aspects to either my appearance (like the hair) or in the way I move. I think the best way to describe the second one is that I move more smoothly than most guys, but it's hard to describe. To them, finding out I was trans explains what they saw.

I'm trying to avoid the whole "what does this mean!?!?" aspect of things like this, because it just drives me nuts. :-)

EDIT: who am I kidding? All I do is think about what *everything* means. OCD + Gender Dysphoria = fun!
    Last edited by BeckyW; 09-17-2014 at 01:05 PM.

My dad was the manager of a tire store, and even when two men would come in, he often said, "Can I help you ladies find anything?" It was a joke with him -- he used that line on everybody (and there weren't that many female customers in tire shops in the '60s).

- Diane

I've had the same thing quite a few times. Like you Becky I'm 6'3" and about 190. I understand when I'm wearing shorts that show my smooth legs and I do have shoulder length hair. One time my wife and I were at a track meet so I was wearing pants and I had about a three day beard. When we went up to the concession stand the girl behind the counter said "what can I get you ladies". I looked at my wife smiled as she just shook her head.

Any time I am miss taken I beam inside quite brightly.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.