Thread: Owning it at the cleaners

Owning it at the cleaners

Yesterday I had an interesting experience I wanted to share with you all. I have a lovely lavender Chico’s blouse, but I got a lipstick smudge on the collar . I couldn’t get it out with stain remover, so I took it to the cleaners with some of my male shirts, and pointed out the problem.

So yesterday I picked up the shirts en drab, although I was wearing my prescription femme sunglasses. The gal at the desk said “You know, we couldn’t get the lipstick completely out – the oils are tough to remove.” Then she looked at me and said, “You know your wife ought to be more careful or …... ..... is this yours?” Hmmm. OK. I’ll own up to it. “Actually it IS mine. I guess my wife hasn’t trained me enough to take care of things.” She looks at the stain (it was a pink one) and asks, “So what is your favorite lipstick color – pink or red?” (I’d never been asked this before!!) “Ummm, I probably wear Tinted Taupe most.” She replied “OK. Now you stay out of trouble!” To which I said “Gee, you’re asking a lot. Have a great day.”

Bottom line: I’m continually surprised how much people seem to take my CD’ing in stride. The positive (and neutral) reactions have far outweighed any negatives.
    Last edited by Claire Cook; 09-18-2014 at 08:14 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Good for you owning it. In the moment, it can be scary.

I was trying on blouses one time, and the dressing room attendant couldnt have cared less. The lady behind me however got a deer in the headlights look and shoved her 8 year old daughter behind her.... oh well, found a great top so everything was awesome!

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    love these stories. For many of us who struggle with the concept of mingling with the mortals the more we get reassurance that there world is not a place full of pitchforks and angry mobs.

I often own it in small boutiques, it surprises just how much co operation I get there.
    I have gone in in drab and come out a girl a few times now.
    I also carry a wig and bra for such occasions.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I did that one time. I went into a Cato store and tried on skits and tops and shoes. I went in in drab, but with a shoulder purse with some makeup and a wig inside it. I bought a skirt and top, shoes, a bra and panties. After purchasing these items, I asked the sales lady if I could go back to the dressing room and wear my new things out. When I left the dressing room I was in full femm and feeling very happy. OI went back to the sale lady and carried on a short discussion, asking how I looked, if any other men had come in to the store and left as women. She replied some men come into shop for themselves, but haven't transitioned to full femm in the store. She said I looked nice in my new skirt and top and to please come back anytime. Oh, what a great time.

I remember over 5 years ago, I was in a small shop that sold women's clothing in West Los Angeles dressed en drab, and the store owner who was working the store asked me what size she was. At that moment I decided I would be honest with her and say I am shopping for me. She took my response in stride and said if I found anything to feel free to use the dressing room to try it on. I did take her up on the offer to use the dressing room and ended up buying a skirt.

"It isn't a big deal unless you make it one" almost always applies. Often,it leads to good things.In the rare case that it doesn't,at least it gives them something to talk about with their like minded friends!
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Go about it in the right manner and all will be fine. The cleaners probably have rather dull customers who drop off the normal office suits, shirts, or blouses, and that's all, but if you and the gal at the cleaners are open with each other, you will be a memorable breath of fresh air in her otherwise dull day.
    I cycle to work quite often, and in the cooler months, often wear a pair of cycling tights over my normal cycling shorts. I have had many discussions with the office girls on the merits of different materials for tights, as they often wear tights in cooler months. Its interesting that with people you wouldn't normally associate with, if you can find a common discussion point, no matter what it is, you can very soon have found yourself a new friend.

Careful I bite <3
    I'd say that idea of going in drab and coming out en femme is pretty unique but definitely not a bad one. Definitely a great way to break the ice with some sales ladies.