Thread: "Feminine and helpless"

"Feminine and helpless"

I have read a quote, written by a fashion writer, from a 1960s newspaper. Here's an extract.
    "I don't think our local girls are likely to fall for the masculine fashion of tailored trouser suits. Most girls are much too feminine to look their best in such attire - and [our winter weather] does not make a really heavy tweed trousered suit really necessary or comfortable. Of course, it all depends whether you want comfort or appearance. Trousers are splendid in the right place, but let us be feminine and appear helpless while we can."

As a child of that era I clearly remember being made aware that girls must be treated gently and formed the impression that this was partly due to their more delicate clothes. As a teenager without any sisters, I began to understand the truth of this when out with my first girlfriends. As well as being generally caring for their welfare and comfort I also learned that stockings were easily laddered, girls could not walk as fast as me because of their heels and skirts and they had to be careful how and where they sat to preserve their modesty. Helpless was putting it too strongly but it is interesting to read such a piece written by a woman only a few years before the revolution in clothing and attitudes which soon led to widespread acceptance of trousers for women and the feminist movement.

It would be interesting to know whether others who were around in that period have come across similar references to clothing being associated with women's vulnerability and femininity

Hi Lorna,

Yes, I am from the time period but don't remember anything like that. Then again, I was sneaking peaks at what the girls were wearing and if I read the paper at all it was straight to the sports and comics and nothing else.

Alas, I long for the day when women were more feminine in their dress. Today they're all running around in capri's, pants or yoga clothes. None of which I find particularly flattering. Just my opinion.

Our society used to tout the image that women were helpless and dependent upon their men. That was never really true which many women have proven so well. Even in my own "femme state" I may be "feminine" but I'm certainly not "helpless" as Kate. More like pretty and self assured if anything . If that tends to damage some men's egos, oh well.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Hi,

I was 13 in 1960 ,

Vulnerability , many of the girls i had as friends were okay with me having them as my passangers on my motor bikes and did not have any issues being around myself ,

Even with our riding school we had 4 young Lass,s on motor bikes who were not wimps ,
    some were head strong and just normal others were just normal girls or young women .

some i knew from ice skating and were quite tough after you,v fallen and got wet , you had to be,

Helpless yes a few were, and many had to work i would not say they were helpless ,
    in the main i treated girls as sisters and i saw no difference between them and my self ,

though i had learned a few things from work and doing things so knew how to fix things when they got broken or needed to be repared ,

being treated gently , if you mean rough and tumble like many boys in thier play time so could not include them with us , no they were included just be a bit carefull not to hit them in the front , breast area ,

Feminine in how they were dressed some yes more dainty yet a few could be quite boyish ,
    Like on the hockey field, and they could give you a run for it or get wacked.with the ball or stick,
    Remember we had women in the force,s ATC , Navy and Army so the uniform was not different from men to women accept the dress uniform , the navy one was pretty good,

Slacks for women a few before the 1958 on, a few women wore them and an out cry from a few groups till you told them what about the 2nd WW oh yes, who wore the pants then ,

Now this, let us be be feminine ,,,,,,, and appear helpless while we can,
    i drew the line there, not this kid im a strong woman and need to be , no way will i be helpless, just not in my makeup ,

as to feminine ill work on it i doubt it,ll happen ,

...noeleena...
    Last edited by noeleena; 09-18-2014 at 10:32 AM.

If you can, watch the movie "An Education" it's about an English girl growing up in the '60s and having an affair with an older man. Mainly because she saw no real opportunities for woman at that time.
    Last edited by Jaymees22; 09-22-2014 at 01:32 PM.
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Banned Read only
    Women are still fed this tripe by the patriarchy - it's just done more subtly now, via Disneyesque damsel in distress movies, where women are shown to have no real power.

As for me, I carry a Swiss army knife, flashlight, and a *** in my purse. I am far from helpless. I expect no rescue, either financially, physically, or emotionally.

Aspiring Member
    Wow, glad I wasn't a GG in the 60's!! That's depressing and it's no wonder Prozac found its fan base in housewives back then. Heels, stockings, delicate dresses and dinner make up have their place but not in every day life. Reading this thread makes me realise why the women before me started the feminist movement. I've never had to think much about my freedom of choice and I guess I take it for granted.

Life is far too short to spend it feeling uncomfortable and helpless. Give me Nikes and freedom ANY DAY!! Sheesh.
    Last edited by Tinkerbell-GG; 09-19-2014 at 02:35 AM.

Times and views have changed and trousers are all the rage.
    Jeans and sporting clothing mostly.
    It seems more practical than wearing dresses and skirts but there is still plenty of soft femininity out there in the dress and skirt department.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Platinum Member
    I never bought into the idealized female thing. All the real women I knew...the grown up ones...were farm women or lived in small towns. Fashion and appearance always took second place to doing what needed to be done for their families, the school, the church, or whatever. Stockings and fancy dresses were reserved for Sunday mornings and special occasions - where they also worked their tails off it seems.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Careful I bite <3
    Tinkerbell if we're going to be strictly practical, purses are awesome, and certain dresses/skirts can also be a bit cooler.

Women's clothing materials also tend to be softer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell-GG View Post
    Wow, glad I wasn't a GG in the 60's!! That's depressing and it's no wonder Prozac found its fan base in housewives back then. Heels, stockings, delicate dresses and dinner make up have their place but not in every day life. Reading this thread makes me realise why the women before me started the feminist movement. I've never had to think much about my freedom of choice and I guess I take it for granted. Life is far too short to spend it feeling uncomfortable and helpless. Give me Nikes and freedom ANY DAY!! Sheesh.
    Growing up as a boy in the sixties, and watching from the sidelines sort of (watching extra carefully, believing that I too was supposed to be a girl, so I should learn what it was all about), what I was witnessing was a very rapid turning point in women's lives. In the span of one decade, girls went from being almost completely restricted to being teachers, nurses or secretaries only until they could get married, to being expected to advance themselves into career women, and women who took more action in their relationships. I saw the confusion that a lot of the girls faced; many were truly confused as to what they should do. The fathers of those girls expected them to be tradional wives and mothers; But their mates and teachers, more progressive, pushed them to pursue academic areas outside of the three options previously available. And I experienced the different social behaviors of girl born within a short time frame. Early 50's most girls were mainly all the wait for the guy to initiate everything, almost submissive, receptive types. But those born closer to 1964 were more assertive in dating. My sister was one good example; raised to be a mom/wife, then during her teen years all of a sudden expected to be a career woman. The confusion was apparent. I think that a lot of women from those years had difficulty later on in life because of the rapid shift in what was expected of them.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Banned Read only
    Well, for people who choose to live in the RW today...

There is a very valid AND simple reason far more women today will wear whatever they want. Instead of what MEN want them to wear or how men want them to appear.

They NEED men less and less with each passing year. At least here in the US. With their ever escalating level of education/ability to qualify for and keep more and more jobs, they don't "need" men because of a man's income. They can live quite comfortably on their OWN income. Look how many women were out in the RW working and getting paid for it 50 years ago and the same ratio today.

Mother Nature rules as always. It's not changing anytime soon.

The more a woman "needs" a man [or wants to keep him] the more "fetching" she will dress/present herself.

It's not complicated.

And I realize many men think feminine and helpless is cool. Or that a woman only need be BBB. Buxom, Blond and Bimbo.

If a woman can't even hold a decent conversation what good is she?

Unless the "education factor" makes a dramatic reversal, there will be ever fewer women dressing to "please men". I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

Of course none of ^^^ has anything to do with being a CDer.

EXCEPT of course 10 years from now when wearing a skirt and/or heels will be even rarer than it is today. All of you lurking in your closets waiting for Society to "accept" better get a move on while you still can.

I did make it a point to observe all the women [of various ages] who came and went while I was waiting in the dermatologist's waiting room a couple of weeks ago. It was 2 in the afternoon. 95% flats/flip flops of some kind along with jeans or shorts.

As far as feminine? Clothing is only a small part of being feminine regardless of how many CDers think or claim otherwise. Nor does it mean vulnerable.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildaboutheels View Post

They NEED men less and less with each passing year. At least here in the US. With their ever escalating level of education/ability to qualify for and keep more and more jobs, they don't "need" men because of a man's income. They can live quite comfortably on their OWN income.
    It is more than that...many women today can support a man on their income. And many do. In my church ministry work, I am seeing a generation of idle young men who have women to support them. That has its own set of issues and problems.

I have observed a growing lack of self discipline across the board, in modern society. Boys and men seldom tucking (and i don't mean that!) their shirt tales in. I remember in school, the teachers making boys tuck their shirt tales in! I see a general dumbing down, and departure from self discipline, in how women and men present themselves. Casual is what matters.