Thread: This was funny just happened today...

This was funny just happened today...

I work at a large ladies dept. Store I get this call from an associate in lingerie telling me that she has been receiving several calls from some guy asking about lingerie and sizes and prices, she mentioned to me that she thought it was possibly a cross dresser and she felt weird. Then she how slow business is, so I take the opportunity to tell her she should have given the caller 100% customer Service and politely tell him when the dept. Is the slowest during the week. I said he may buy 100's of dollars worth of merchandize. She said she really messed up and will be giving the caller more info on colors sizes and prices styles etc. I told her they are human beings also. All this not knowing she was talking to a very happy Cross dresser herself. Lol

Natasha,

That's very interesting. I'm glad you helped her understand we are just people. Of course the ohter possibility is that her wanted to buy for his wife. I've done that many times for my wife.

Also, may I say, you are a very lucky girl to be working in a ladies dept. store.
    Kim

"I just gotta be me"

well done Natasha!

Yes I honestly enjoy working here seeing all the new trends. The only problem is that I want too take everything home with me at the end of the day. My most enjoyable part is watching gg getting their makeup done I so wish to jump in those high shares close my eyes and feel that experience. Oh my heart beats faster when I think about it. The dresses coming in are to die for I truly envy those Maniquens.
    I tell myself hold on Girl your time will come.

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    Well done Natasha! I worked at a Lane Bryant for a month and know how you feel

Excellent advice Natasha but I dare to say that the caller would not be likely to ever ever EVER come into the store to be a great customer. Creepy is as creepy does and chances are better than not that this person was getting his jollies by talking lingerie with an unwitting SA on the other end of the line.

Sad, I know. Our manifestation of gender runs the gamut, as does behavior.

Regardless, your advice will help your friend have a positive perspective the next time a call comes in, most likely from someone who will be asking permission to shop there.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Gone to live my life
    Hi Natasha,

I guess we will never truly know the intent of the caller but your advice was sound and perhaps gave SA pause for thought.

Hugs

Isha

Thank You Girls, I am enjoying this moment to say thank you all for the information you all share with us newbies. I really appreciate learning from reading everyone else's experiences.

What a wonderful situation you are in.
    I agree it would be nice to have some of the clothes that are for sale.
    Working as a catalog photographer I would acquire the odd fashion item that was left behind on the racks after a shoot.
    The left over clothing was usually bagged up and left in a corner for someone to claim, so after a month had elapsed it was anyone's pick.
    Quite often the girls would come back and go through the bag for something they liked.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Platinum Member
    Good advice. With a little salesmanship she could get a long term customer?
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I think it's important in all customer service no one should be treated badly. We are all consumers what difference does it make what or who are we buying things for.
    Way to go Natasha

Natasha,
    Great story. You handled it well.
    I do not return to shops that are rude to me. I am not shy about shopping for womens clothes when in man mode. I let it be known im shopping for myself. If the SA is rude or unattentive, I move on to a store that treats me right.There are plenty of stores out there and SAs that are CD friendly. Not going to give my money to rude SAs. And ive encountered many. They are wonderful to me at the stores I shop at now.

Love,
    Lexi V.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    You did the right thing with the SA, kudos!

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    Natasha, kudos. You did a great thing. I have to say I'm kind of surprised by Sara's take on this...that the caller was some kind of sexual deviant. Why would you think this was likely the case? I guess there's a possibility, yes. But really? As a closeted TG I often call stores to gauge their acceptance before I actually go in. And I also call to find out more information...it's a lot easier than revealing yourself. Glass half full here in this corner of Canada...

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgette Ross View Post
    I have to say I'm kind of surprised by Sara's take on this...that the caller was some kind of sexual deviant. Why would you think this was likely the case?
    Sorry you were surprised Bridgette by my post. Heck, your surprise even had me second guessing myself for a second. Yep, about one second...

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha V View Post
    ...I get this call from an associate in lingerie telling me that she has been receiving several calls from some guy asking about lingerie and sizes and prices, she mentioned to me that she thought it was possibly a cross dresser and she felt weird.
    My opinion is based on this guy (because we don't have any way of knowing if he is approaching this from any sort of TG POV) doing the following...

• Calling a lingerie store. (Nothing inherently troubling about this, I'm sure many guys have done so innocently.)
    • Calling a lingerie store repeatedly.
    • Asking questions about lingerie, sizes and prices. (Again, this can be something that one wouldn't read anything into...WHEN DONE ONCE!!!)
    • Asking questions about lingerie, sizes and prices repeatedly. (See item directly above.)
    • He made the SA feel weird.

Regardless of whether the SA's perception is correct, it is in fact her reality. He made her feel weird. I stand by my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgette Ross View Post
    As a closeted TG I often call stores to gauge their acceptance before I actually go in. And I also call to find out more information...it's a lot easier than revealing yourself. Glass half full here in this corner of Canada...
    Actually, that glass is only half full in your closet

Seriously, it's funny you say that because it implies that I am taking a pessimistic view of the situation as presented. Anyone who knows me understands that I am just about the most optimistic person on this planet. But I'm not a pollyanna and can be a realist when necessary. This is one of those situations, I called it as I saw it.

And even though I don't see the point at all of calling to ask permission to shop anywhere (gauge acceptance as you put it), this is why I said that OP's advice to the other SA should help that SA have a positive approach the next time a call comes in from someone who is truly in our community and wishes to gauge acceptance because we know many do this. Otherwise, the creepy vibe that she got from the call could very well have bled into every future interaction with someone who is TG, whether on the phone or in person.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Banned Read only
    You gave your coworker sound business advice. Yes, the man on the telephone may be getting his jollies by calling lingerie departments. But, he may also be terrified trying to talk about lingerie. There is no way to tell. However, if he repeatedly calls, then there is a probability he is a pervert. As a matter of business practice I would suggest he do come into the store so a SA could assist him. Nordstrom's store use to, if not still, have male assistance evenings at Valentine's Day.

Yes, some SA are leery of men in a women's store. On one particular day I went to two Catherine's store looking for a particular white half slip. I was in male mode. I am not the least bit weird looking. I do have a male size for going to a plus size women's store. At the first Catherine's it was as if a space alien had landed. "Yikes! Egads! There is a man in our store. He's not accompanied by a plus size women. Yada, yada, yada!" No, the store did not have that slip. At the second Catherine's with a younger SA, it was genuine smiles, and, "How may I help you?" I think too many older SA's are back in the old days. And, younger inexperienced SA's have yet to encounter that which they have not been braced for. If I was on a training staff, I would educate employees about cross dressers as bona fide customers.

Thank you for all the great responses, BTW the guy had been calling several times in the last few days. Same questions. I believe it a negative vibe to those sales associate who are young and nieve. I have and will continue to pass the word the we are not aliens or perverts of any way shape or form.

It is kind of creepy that he calls several times in a few days. Why doesn't he come in to buy something instead of calling multiple times asking the same questions?
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Maybe you could take the call and offer to help him with any selections if he came in, dropping hints you are aware that some people need an extra bit of privacy in their shopping...
    Ellen