Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skirts over Scotland

Aspiring Member

Skirts over Scotland

Foreign crossdressers tend to envy us Scots their kilts. I have two but I hardly ever wear them. In fact I suspect that at any given moment in Scotland there are more men wearing skirts and dresses than kilts.

Don't go to an American Scottish festival and call them "skirts", or you might find out how it feels to be a caber.

Susan,

Speaking as a foreign CDer... .. I can assuredly state that I do not envy you Scots your kilts... nasty rough, woollen, heavy things, in my experience...

But I will envy you Scots your many, many single malts... your spicy haggis... your phenomenal golf courses... your beautiful, wild scenery... and your wild salmon...

That's salmon... you can definitely keep your Salmond with the kilts...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

I dont want a kilt the macho men can keep those.

I would much prefer a nice tartan skirt or dress
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Kilts are a clothing option with a link to girl clothes.

Show me a Highlander in a pencil skirt and we can talk, sweetie.

<3

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

My first and only time out and about wearing a skirt was in Scotland. Over 20 years ago i went there and bought a nice tartan skirt (with the pretense of getting a kilt - i'm a foreigner, what do i know?). I wore it as soon as I got into my rented car. The feeling of driving around wearing a skirt was exhilarating! So much so that I ended up stopping after a few miles for fear of getting into an accident.

I envied Scots for being able to buy a skirt as a male without any concern. Nowadays I feel much more comfortable buying my skirts and dresses, although I have never been outside the house wearing any of them.

I loved my short stint wearing my first ever skirt in Scotland!

Carolina:

Even if that skirt was a Dior?

Not to put lemon in your milk, honey.. but just keep it in perspective?

- MM
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Bill View Post
    Don't go to an American Scottish festival and call them "skirts", or you might find out how it feels to be a caber.
    Hi Bill If you run into two Scottsmen you could be tossed back and forth all Afternoon,
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    Susan,

Speaking as a foreign CDer... .. I can assuredly state that I do not envy you Scots your kilts... nasty rough, woollen, heavy things, in my experience...

But I will envy you Scots your many, many single malts... your spicy haggis... your phenomenal golf courses... your beautiful, wild scenery... and your wild salmon...

That's salmon... you can definitely keep your Salmond with the kilts...

Katey x
    Aww Katey.....I wear kilts a lot of the time now and Ive worn them most of my life. Some kilts are as you describe but modern day materials or methods of traditional weaving have moved on and I find that the light to medium weight kilts I wear are very smooth and comfy. I also have a good few polyester kilts that are imported now and they are good for everyday wear too though they dont last the pace. They are much cheaper though so are good value. The heavyweight kilts as worn by the military are def as you describe.

P.S. I agree about Salmond and company. Couldnt you poach them or smoke them and do us all a favour.

Quote Originally Posted by mechamoose View Post
    Kilts are a clothing option with a link to girl clothes.

Show me a Highlander in a pencil skirt and we can talk, sweetie.

<3

- MM
    Many generations ago I can trace my ancestry to the Scottish Highlands.

Do I count? :P
    Just Roll With It

Kaze,

I'm of enough Scots blood to have Clan approval to use the crest, and I have a 4x6 inch version of it on my forearm. That isn't quite what I meant, sweetie. What I had pictured was some grisly Scot living up in the Highlands in a pencil skirt. Sorry for my poor phrasing.

-MacMoose (Clan Gordon)

Quote Originally Posted by mechamoose View Post
    Kaze,

I'm of enough Scots blood to have Clan approval to use the crest, and I have a 4x6 inch version of it on my forearm. That isn't quite what I meant, sweetie. What I had pictured was some grisly Scot living up in the Highlands in a pencil skirt. Sorry for my poor phrasing.

-MacMoose (Clan Gordon)
    Aye, it was a bit of a joke. Even though it was a bad one. ;~;
    Last edited by Kaze_; 09-27-2014 at 05:24 AM.
    Just Roll With It

Gone to live my life
    A long time ago when I was first in the military I had joined the Regimental Pipes and Drums band as a side drummer (okay no Pipers throwing things please) . . . it was either the band as a secondary duty or a Regimental Policeman (not into night shifts). Can't say I liked wearing the heavy military wool kilt in summer but I will say when posted to Germany and doing band jobs at various festival events . . . let's just say the kilt was a great conversation starter with girls (this was before I was married) and did come in handy later on - especially being Regimental and all

Hugs

Isha

Regimental, Isha? Marching over the mirror on the way out of barracks. Now for all of you non Scots out there, a kilt is NOT meant to be comfortable. It is meant to be hairy, rough, and ladder your stockings. It all dates back to the reformation, and Calvin. Now Scots did not take kindly to Catholicism, so hair shirts were out, so they invented the kilt.

It's all about identity, but "Ye'll suffere for it as you should, ya shelpit wee bauchle!"

Actually, I quite like mine, but my wife says the lace hemmed half slip does not quite go with it.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Aspiring Member
    I don't get some of these replies or the point of them (I stress that others were perfectly OK). I didn't call a kilt a skirt. It is, but I did not mention it in the OP. The point of the email was to speculate on the number of men in Scotland wearing skirts or dresses as opposed to kilts. And I am actually sitting here typing this in Scotland wearing a pencil skirt. I don't get the remark about the pencil skirt either.

And one of the two replies from Scotland appeared to be advocating cooking a political leader rather a lot of us voted for. There might have been some excuse if it had been at all funny ... but it wasn't. There are times when I feel like giving up on this Forum.

Banned Read only
    I don't have a kilt. I don't have any male clothing, but I do have some nice tartan skirts. I suppose it's possible for a woman to wear a man's kilt as a skirt but it's not for me, I want to look and feel as much like a real woman as I possibly can and that means wearing a skirt or a dress which I always do.

Tramping around Scotland's country side I never saw a great kilt wearing brigade.
    Donald always was wearing trousers. Those wearing kilts were at traditional functions and were usually taking part in Scottish dances or playing bagpipes.

Men wear kilts and so do ladies.
    I have not even fantasised about kilts as they are heavy and hot to wear.
    For the uninitiated, try doing the sword dance in one.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I agree with the OP. There will be way more men in scotland wearing skirts and dresses sitting at home than men wearing kilts sitting at home. It'll be the same outdoors too I'm sure.

Walk around Edinburgh and you'll see a few men in kilts but in Glasgow you'll be lucky if you see one in a month, unless there's a football international game being played. You'll see more in Edinburgh because that's where the overseas tourists tend to visit......there's always a lot of Americans wandering around kidding on they're Scottish

I certainly see more transvestites than men wearing kilts when out and about in Glasgow,that's for sure

Careful I bite <3
    I envy it in terms of having an excuse, but the style really doesn't really fit me by itself.

Angela,
    Next time I am in Glasgow, I will watch out for them.
    I do agree about Edinburgh Vs Glasgow, it is more traditional in the east.
    There are all those kilt shops coming down the road from the castle, they seem to do good business, although expensive compared to elsewhere.
    I agree with the analogy that there may be a lot more Scots dressing at home in skirts than kilts.....

They are a lot cooler.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

To me a kilt is a peice of male clothing ,
    And my CD side has no interest.
    Now a tartan inspired , pleated mini skirt is a whole different story

Tartan-wear is available in both 'genders'.

Female:
    ladies.jpg

Male:
    mens.jpg

(Links from The Scottish Lion)

Notice the shape/line differences?

A kilt is a male item of clothing. It happens to look like a skirt

- MM

Alexis "Lexie"
    My wife, who knows about my dressing and is in full support of it, really wants to see me in a kilt. She's a pretty big Outlander fan!!

I am a highlander living in the highlands and own numerous pencil skirts, my favourite form of clothing.

I have only worn a kilt twice and it was fine (Both times it was for weddings). I'm not wearing a skirt at the moment but definitely wear them more often than kilts.