Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I just outed myself to my mom need some support please.

I haven't told my parents, but for a long time I had a fairly toxic relationship with my mother due to some issues related her divorce from my father. It's not the same thing, but it's something that drove us apart and had us not understanding each other, but time has helped and letting go of whatever disappointment we had in each other has helped and just accepting we are family and love each other that's not going to change despite whatever other problems we had, helped as well.

There us a lyric to an old pop song that applies here:

'But it's all right now, I learned my lesson well
    You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself''

Rick Nelson - Garden Party
    Cara

Oh my, you all are the greatest i really appreciate the replies. Thank you all so much. I wish I could hug all of y'all.
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 09-26-2014 at 03:48 AM. Reason: There are men as well as women here

Quote Originally Posted by Natasha V View Post
    I just had a one to one talk with my mom about my Crossdressing it felt as if i was Damaged goods, She started telling me that maybe i need to see a psychologist or that maybe it was just temp. If it happenned because I dressed as a girl one halloween many years ago. To all this i told her no that I was Happy the way i was and I showed her some of my pictures. She then insisted that it would probably fade away not to tell anyone. Now I feel like i might have made a mistake by telling her and now I'm feeling total regret. I can't shake it off. Will it get better. I really hate feeling this way. But I really do enjoy the way i am. Thank you all..
    Props to you Natasha for telling her. I don't think it was the wrong idea. Parents have a hard time accepting it, especially in my area because it is the Bible Belt. My parents reacted very similarly. Albeit they found out themselves by invading my privacy on my computer instead of me telling them. But they gave me the same excuses as it was a phase, it would pass, I'd get over it etc. I'm even seeing a therapist now about it...It's definitely tough. I don't think my parents think it's really an issue anymore or they ignore it. I've contemplated many times telling them again and saying I still enjoy/want to do it. I don't think they'd react very well. So I'm keeping it on the down low until I discover myself more. Hang in there though! You'll get through it! You have us

Something else you may want to consider.
    It took me many years to realize that my parents did not have a loch on knowledge.
    Cara

Luv doing girl stuff CherylFlint's Avatar
    Not "damaged" in the least!
    So we're not somebody's idea of "perfect".
    Mom or not, it's her problem dealing with you, not your problem dealing with her.
    We are a very rarebreed of people in that, as men, it is we who can really relate to women and how they feel and are treated by the world.
    Don't dispair, celebrate who and what you are and go out and buy a new bra or wig or something.
    You're okay. You're you and not "damaged" at all. Don't even think it. Me? I consider it lucky to be a happy CD. Some people smoke, drink alcohol and do other drugs. Me? I dress.
    Good luck and, above all, relax and have fun. All of us girls on this blog do, and you should too!
    And to PaulaQ: I don't think of it as "wrong hormones". I think of it as "differnt", no "right" or "wrong" about it.

Now she knows your mother should be coaxed around to accepting it and giving you support.
    It will take time, don't lose the dialogue as others have suggested, just keep letting her see you and communicate.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I would not discuss it again with anyone who isn't comfortable with it. People can't be forced to be comfortable with anything, as far as I know.
    T-shirt says: "Hi, I Crossdress!"

Careful I bite <3
    I got outted to my mom not by choice. She got more therapy than I did. She had the normal questions. She is from a slightly different generation being only close to 50, but still your going in the right direction. She needs time and space to figure out what this means.

I would suggest that you offer to answer questions if your up for it, conditionally say you might need to think about some of them.

Hi Natasha:
    It would only be a confirmation if, I told my mother. I been a suspect all my life and became an expert in concealment. I think it is more of the context you out yourself. Ok, look at this. There has been many notable people like Milton Berle, Flip Wilson, and now Tyler Perry who have an avenue to do it and get away with it by being funny. While when we do it outside of a holloween gag. We will be seen as gay, or having some strange fetish. I think if you haven't told her your motivation you should. Your motivation, I feel set the theme. Like in public. When a straight cross dresser is seen it is likely he will be perceived as gay until otherwise explained. We don't have that option out on the street to explain to the world our motivation. But with your mother. I am certain you can express this and how it makes you happy. Good luck

Angie-
    I feel somewhat guilty because I never told my mother of my CD problem&for years,secretly went into Mothers closet&tried
    on all of her dresses,and her skirts&tried on all of her tops&blouses&her business wardrobe.She passed away several years
    ago&I harbored the secret,only because I would be petrified if she ever found out.I would wait until she went to work,in the
    morning&one day I took a fresh pkg of pantyhose out of her drawer&put them on&dressed fully in one of Mom's expensive
    skirtsuits&a pair of her heels&borrowed one of her blond wigs&actually sat at her makeup table&did my makeup
    "Love&Kisses"
    Michelle

Now that you apprised your mother of your true gender feelings give her room/time to understand who you are... Let your mother determine the appropriate time to re-engage this conversation... I've had too many friends/mothers that were confronted with similar situations i.e. daughters being lesbian or sons being gay and with time they all seemed to arrive at similar conclusions... Not my cup of tea; however, if I don't accept my child's lifestyle then I lose a child... Few are the mothers today that wish to lose a child...