Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late Life Purge

Late Life Purge

After hitting a big birthday earlier this year I‘ve been slowly discarding my ladies’ things. Many of them don’t look good on a senior body, and, frankly, the thrill of dressing isn’t what it once was. All the foundation garments and most of the bras went into the trash, followed by most of the pantyhose—some of the packages still unopened. Slacks, tops and jeans are still in the closet, and panties galore. Are any of you experiencing a late life purge like me?

Platinum Member
    Hi Dawn, I sure hope that doesn't happen to me when I get that old. Just what BIG BIRTHDAY was it ???
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

you bought these "packages", did not open or wear them...

then threw them AWAY?

what a waste!

and all those DEAD BRAS!

Aspiring Member
    Dawn, what a horrible story Perhaps I will become a dumpster diver after all.
    Just how old is old in New York City, anyway?

Ineke

Banned Read only
    I've never experienced anything like this. My desire to dress and live as a woman is exactly the same as it's always been, completely overwhelming.

Why not donate items to Goodwill or other thrift stores?

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

hmmm, how big a birthday?. I have had a few, and a few purges as well. Always come back to filling my closet just sayin'
    hugs,
    Trish

Dawn,
    A change is as good as a holiday sometimes so a purge can be in order for you.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I did that 10 years ago at 48, then nothing until two years ago, Julie suddenly woke up again. And I might go back to sleep tomorrow, or a year from now.
    You never know when the mood will strike or un-strike, but purging can be very good, to feel rid of the "same old". And if your girl comes back.. restocking can be really fun, and make you feel new again.
    Last edited by JessicaJHall; 09-27-2014 at 02:34 AM.
    CD? I'm never cross when dressed
    More like HF.. Happy Femulator. Julie's Flickr page
    Amateur/DIY Photos adjusted for exposure and white balance only, except to obscure background All rights reserved.

While I've purged many times in the last 50 years I have to admit I'm quite the opposite of that now.
    I finally accepted myself 10 years or so ago and since then have totally lost the urge to purge. If anything I find myself wanting more ...
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

I only ever purged when I was a teenager over thirty years ago. One full purge and another half hearted purge where I got rid of most of my things but kept a few favourites 'just in case'. Since then I've never purged or had the urge to do so. Much like Cheryl T I've been going the opposite way, acquiring more bras, dresses and high heels over time. I've even learned how to sew dresses so I can get perfectly fitting dresses that are exactly what I want at a reasonable price. I just can't imagine going through what you are, although you sound a bit older than me so maybe that will change for me at some point.

Yep. I turned 60 this year. So I don't think it's age related.

I'm 2/3 of the way to losing 40 lbs. Rejuvenation.

Just wondering if I should purchasing longer skirts.

Reality Check
    I have nothing to say about your deside to get rid of your female clothing and things but I wish you had donated them to charity or an organization that provided clothing for people so they can get jobs and get off welfare.

There are folks out there who could make good use of your unwanted clothing.

I'm also a senior, and have been dressing for at least 66 years, my last purge was some 38 years ago or somewhere in that neighborhood. Slow down, no quite the opposite actually, while I haven't shopped for a while, I still get into those clothes every chance I get.
    But yes, I have thinned out the collection many times over the years, keeping up with style, and age appropriate dress standards. No I don't own any poylyester pant suits, but being old doesn't mean you have to dress like a granny, just not like an 18 year old.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Things go out of style and some things do not look as good at home as in the store. Gentle wardrobe culling and charity donations are needed

Banned Read only
    Dawn without knowing how old a senior body should be before discarding a hard won wardrobe I'm going to hold on to mine ! It's not what you're too old for it's what you're young enough for !!
    After so many years of being in the closet I'm going to try and get enough acceptance to enjoy a few years of CDing !!

I did the exact same thing when I turned 55 ten years ago. Among other things that went to goodwill, there was two beautiful human hair wigs. Now at 65 Lydia is beating on the "closet" door again wanting out. Going much slower this time with the purchasing. I guess this is a common practice. Won't happen again. Donate them to a charity that will benefit from their being sold. Lydia

Careful I bite <3
    Feel free to donate, especially unused items will be appreciated by someone somewhere!

Late life purge. I am expierincing the exact opposite. I just turnedd 57 on teh 26th and I am home alone for the 1st time in my life. No kids or wife. The past weeks have ben a whirlwind of buying and shopping on line. Can't go out yet to afraid and to small of a town. Finances prevent me for going to a city and geting a hotel. Anyway I have purged so many times I've lost count and oh the money lost in shoes alone my me want to cry as that is about the only part of the body that really hasn't changed much in 40 some years of dressing. Rembering as a teen when I could fit a siz 4 or smaller if I squezzed my self into my sisters dresses to now having to deal with this somewhat over weight beat up from surgeries bent over old man's body that ahs seen better day. elieve me CD's at this point has very little sexual giddiness as it used to. Though there are times. I had a huge AHA moment last eve as I stood in front of a full length mirror in short shorts and a top that was way to small. Looked at myself and said God WOman your 57 quit acting like a teenager and get with the program. So as I take these steps now I find I am in no hurry that the overwhelming excitement has given way to a new person. An older more sophiticated lady that is finally comfortable in her own skin and can take the flaws and try to amake them work for her than against her. So wish me luck! Ahhh the late life purge it aint happening the desire will come back dear lady. Just acept who you are noww!! Not what you used to look like when you could turn heads on a dime!!
    Hugs,
    Angie 926

Also just the opposite for me. After fighting against myself for many years, at about 64 I began to accept that I had a TG personality. That was three years ago, and I have been building my wardrobe ever since. I have never been happier!

I am in my late fifties and nothing like that has happened. Having said that, I am currently culling my wardrobe. Have too much stuff and need to clear some room for the things that have yet to catch my eye. It has been tough letting stuff go, but with my wife's help I've been motivated by her asking things like, "do you r-e-a-l-l-y need 67 bras?"

Also in this process I am learning to let go of the things that used to be favorites but now are rather dated or worn. I even have a box of things I only tried on but never wore. They looked much better on the shapely 20 year old catalog model than they did me (think bowling pin in a bikini.)

Oh, and I'm donating all the boxes to the battered women's shelter. They are much appreciative of the clothes and they actually get used by people that need them.

I love to wear short mini skirts/w beige or off-black pantyhose&heels&I'm 50
    "Love&Kisses"
    Michelle

Aspiring Member
    If you felt you needed a break instead of purging you should have put it all in storage somewhere. I turned sixty a few months ago but I don't see myself purging all of my items. I do have slow times but I just store my clothes because I know from past experience the urge will come back no matter what you try.

It's makes we wonder sometimes that we have two opposing forces at work here.
    We have those people (myself included) which have purged clothing due to a temporary lull in feeling, or guilt, and those who want to dress but can't because of nervousness, or financial reasons.

Good need for a LGBT charity to accept these donations, and maybe offer these clothes (some are probably beautiful) to those in the CD community in need. Maybe accept a token donation for a good cause

last big birthday for me was 5 years ago, It was rough for me,
    I became very depressed, But the thought of purging never came to mind.

I have become more and more accepting of myself, and the way I prefer to dress
    I really cant see any purges in the future. Well maybe of guy clothes.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"