Thread: Appearance vs Age

Appearance vs Age

So, sort of piggybacking off of another thread in the MtF crossdressing forum, it made me think of a question. Do hormones and presenting as a woman make us appear younger? For some reason, I have been clocked as young as 18-20 recently and I never have been clocked that young before. It's always mid to late 20s... Which is still off, but we'll let them believe that hehe. It just make me wonder why I am reversing in age appearance the longer I'm on hormones.

Has anyone else experienced comments like this when transitioning?

Here is the picture where I supposedly look 18-20.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aly Cat; 09-27-2014 at 06:13 PM.
    The longer I walk down this road I call a journey, the more I realize that it's not about passing or not passing. It's about being true to myself and being able to look in the mirror and say to my reflection... "Perfect"

I think Hormones make you appear younger.

That seems to be my experience too. I look about 10-15 years younger than my actual age of 62 years. If you are not young you do not want to put your earliest positions on a résumé. I started a professional position in 1980. My résumé goes back only to 1990, so the recruiter I visited assumed I got my engineering degree and went directly to the position I had in 1990.

Johanna Anna
    Last edited by JohnH; 09-27-2014 at 09:17 PM.
    John (Legal name)

Preferred pronouns: he, his, him

Silver Member
    I'm consistently put 10-15 years younger. HRT tends to fill out your face and improve your skin texture, both of which take age effects away.
    Last edited by LeaP; 09-27-2014 at 09:02 PM.

Very interesting. I guess this is a real thing. Without my wig, my real hair is still relatively short so it kind of puts me in the realm of a very androgynous teenager. The wig definitely makes me more passable, but at the same time, ages me back in my mid 20s. I'm still Ok with that though lol. Since I'm not even in my 20s anymore.
    The longer I walk down this road I call a journey, the more I realize that it's not about passing or not passing. It's about being true to myself and being able to look in the mirror and say to my reflection... "Perfect"

Gold Member
    I think at least part of it is going through beard removal and potentially the shrinking of pore size on the face. It makes us look smoother which gives a more youthful appearance.

In my case, it could be, but I now dye my hair, and that definately helps...

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

The Mad Scientist
    It's very clear that you girls all look great.

I have definitely observed transitioning girls appear younger as they progress.

I know personally my forehead wrinkles have all but disappeared. I'm usually told I look 40-45. Will be 55 next month.Donna 09-26-14 (10a).jpg
    Namaste
    Live, love, laugh,

Donna

https://www.facebook.com/donna.jbrack

Hormones smooth out all the rough edges. In general we look younger.

Is that your own hair Donna?

Most people think I'm about 42-43 years old, I'm 58.

I don't go wigless, but I spent some good money at a good shop where the professional matched my hair color so closely that my own hair blends with the wig - most people can't tell I'm wearing one unless they realize the top isn't growing out as much as the back and sides.

Without makeup and a bit of a 5 o'clock shadow (which now takes about a week to grow), I look like something from a zombie movie. Here's an old picture of Rex and a newer picture of Debbie.

IMAG0031.jpg 140608211454.jpg
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success