Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dress to pass or not?

I dress to pass with hopes of at least blending. I'm generally read, but only expect to be treated respectfully in the gender I'm presenting.

If im going to a bar or out for the evening, then yes, I will add the makeup and wig and finer details. If im running errands, I forego all the accouterments and just get dressed in my girl clothes. It is not unusual for me to wear a dress, high heels with painted toes, and really feminine earrings, all with no wig or makeup. Cleanly shaven of course, but no effort to look like a lady. I dress because I like the clothing choices better. Id just rather not deal with makeup or setting the wig just right. I will sometimes wear my forms, because they make some outfits look better. No fire and brimstone yet. Just odd stares and a learning opportunity.

Luv doing girl stuff CherylFlint's Avatar
    I ALWAYS dress to pass, and if it doesn't "feel" right, I don't go out.

When I dress I want to look a good as possible and I think to do that I want to pass as much as I can, even though I don't I really do.

Silver Member
    Really depends what you like. When young I dressed to pass and was very successful. Over time I transitioned to a guy who wears women's clothes. I maintain my male appearance but wear silk blouses, gg jeans and shoes most of the time. Shorts in summer etc. A casual glance most people see a guy. Close up and really paying attention or studying what I'm wearing one sees a guy wearing gg clothes and bra lines. Ninety percent see the guy and the rest don't care once idle curiosity is answered.

I've never gone out fully dressed, and don't plan to unless I'm able to at least appear to pass. For me, it's more about not wanting to go out and share this side of me with the public until I'm at my best. That probably won't be for quite some time.
    I'm a girl when I feel like it

Crossdresser-At-Large BillieAnneJean's Avatar
    I dress as well as I possibly can for my own satisfaction. I wear appropriate outfits for the time of day and the venue. In that way I insure that I fit in and pass.
    I put a lot of effort in to my presentation because I look better (and dogs don't howl) and it causes a little bit more doubt in their minds. After 5-7.6 seconds they lose interest and go back to texting anyway.
    If I dressed purely for myself I would be wearing a ball gown every time I am OUT enfemme.
    This is Such Fun!

Passing is very hard (99% probably won't, no matter what we'd like to believe), and 'blending' is basically just trying not to draw any attention to yourself, however keep in mind, that no matter what you try to do, unless you actually can pass, you WILL draw attention to yourself just by being in clothing that oh, 98% of the world believes to be inappropriate. Whether we feel it's appropriate or not is not the issue.
    Basically, just try to avoid intentionally getting in anyone's face, and keep yourself in safe situations; don't assume that your right to safe passage means there won't be some intoxicated nut out there determined to prove that he's tougher than 'the fairy in the dress' to everyone around him.
    Stay safe.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I dress to blend. Would not want to embarass my wife, or anyone else!
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Gone to live my life
    Hi Megan,

On those occasions when I present as Isha I identify as female and hence dress to approximate a woman. I can blend given my size and body frame but I never pass (too many guy traits and tells). However I accept that and just enjoy being.

Hugs

Isha

I dress to try and pass not sure if my liking for knee high boots helps or hinders this

Absolutely dress to pass, which to me is dressing as most GGs would dress for the time of day and the venue. I know I'll never pass 100% of the time but most people are too into their own lives to notice most of the time.

I have to agree with Wildaboutheels (for once!) on this one. Others have said as much, there is nothing explicitly or inplicitly shocking about a man wearing womens clothing when done in an non intrusive fashion. Shaved legs, appropriate "bulge" control, etc.
    It comes down to where your individual CDing "level" of comfort is. I feel rather disingenuous when I do the wig and makeup thing, as if I am lying to myself, thus I don't do that much. I also feel natural and at peace when wearing femme attire, and it is not up to me to make anyone else in the world feel... well, anything really? Who am I to try and control others? It is like Wild said, If you treat people with respect, (including yourself!) then you should expect the same back, if they choose to disrespect or try to make fun of you, then it is they who have the problem, not you.
    I have been questioned about this on this site before, asked "But I just don't understand?" So I will ask you the same question: Why do you feel the need to go all the way? We need to embrace our differences in order to accept ourselves. How can we accept the ones that "really pass," and not the ones who are just trying to be themselves in the world? [And the answer isn't "Well, at least they (we) try!, because my not wearing a wig and makeup does not mean I am not "trying" anything, it is as far as I wanted to go with it!

Reality Check
    I don't understand why a guy would go out in public wearing female clothes but without the wig or long hair and without shaving and enough makeup to cover his beard shadow. While people might not shout out "freak!", you know what they are thinking. And of course if anyone you know sees you, your "secret" is out.

So - On the few occasions where I have gone out in public, I have done my best to appear as a genetic female. I take photos and I can see my progress over the years. Do I "pass"? Not up close and personal, but I probably pass or blend to someone walking or driving past me.

I think dressing appropriately is a big part of this.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    No offense intended but, when I go out dressed it's never with the primary intention of passing as a female. I dress to feel good and the excitement of doing it. Now, don't get me wrong. I wouldn't do extremely buxom to go have my car worked on but, I do go out and about with an obvious feminine profile for shopping or just strolling around. Dressing appropriately? Sounds like something my wife would say while wearing jeans and a t-shirt.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Hi Megan

I absolutely dress to pass with all the small details that includes. Do I pass ?, I'am not sure, but I know that it is close, but I have a wonderful time each time. :-)

Great hugs
    Henriette
    Love and hugs
    Henriette

Please visit my website to read more about me at http://henriette5.wix.com/mystory
    Or visit my Flickr pictures https://www.flickr.com/photos/127846920@N04/ OR my Facebook site https://www.facebook.com/henriette.kristensen.357

I dress to pass for sure. If not, where is the fun?
    I am an Artist working in all Mediums including Sexy

No way I would ever pass, but as I keep my alter-ego indoors there is really no need to do so.
    I always try to maintain a proper appearance nonetheless. Appropriate hair, makeup, and wardrobe selection are important to the whole process I believe.

Can never forget when once in The Haight (San Francisco) I was walking behind someone wearing a rather nice outfit (shirtwaist dress, heels); very well tailored look.
    As that person stopped to look into a window, I walked past. It was at that time I noticed that the same person had a rather large but nicely trimmed beard. Just didn't fit with the big picture.

I always dress to pass as best I can. I usually do well untill I have to speak. Lol
    But all my life I have been mistaken for a girl in guy mode so I guess I have that in my favor. But the type of GG girl I femulate tends to draw attention anyway.
    You know the 40 somthing that is divorced or still single and dressed like the 20 something ( but can pull it off).
    So I dress to pass but for me as well. I am sure I would blend better at the mall in flats rather than booties with a 2" platform and 6" heel but hey I love my heels lol. So I guess for me it's a balance.
    I think I am just lucky to me short and skinny which I think gos along way for me. And mind you I haven't gotten out in a real long time. But a couple years back I was out in public once or twice a week.
    Early on I know I didn't pass , but at the end I rarely got read unless I had to speak with someone for more than a sentence or 2. I started wearing a fake wedding ring to give me an out because apparently the type of woman I portray tends to attract divorced men in there 40's and fiftys. So the ring would deter them from trying to chat me up.
    But I have gotten off track. Short answer
    I want to pass but my first thought is I have to wear what I like. Other wise what's the point.
    Although it's been a long time it looks like a May get a couple of days that I can dress and go out over the winter. And I am really looking forward to it!
    But I will need all new make up , I assume mine has gone bad by now.
    Xx lexi

Ps . Thanks for letting me rant girls !

we are all discussing in this thread about passing or not, i have seen women in all shapes and sizes, and there are alot of gg' that don't pass very well either, so i guess the question i have is why are we concerned about passing or not is it that we don't have enough confidence in our selfs(i know i don't) to pass very well( to tall and built like a lineman on a foot ball team). No matter if we pass or not if we love to dress as women than just go for it.
    I love being a girl

I guess I'm the odd one here. I wear female jeans and T's and have a mustache. I've been in public wearing yoga pants and a t shirt with no wig or makeup. I'm very obviously a guy in girls clothes. Do I care what anyone thinks? Maybe in the back of my mind but I just want to be me. And comfortable with whatever I wear. I'm in a DADT relationship so I have to be careful when my wife and kids are around. Other than that, I'm going to be me.

I used to pass well once, but conducting myself with decorum I still seem to get by today.

No I really don't pass well these days without a lot of work.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I dress to be presentable as a female. None of us pass.

Jodi

If I'm going out I always dress to pass, and it does take sometime, full makeup, jewelry, wig, etc. and I do get some pretty good results. I dress classy but low key, and try to blend in. I'll never get away with it completely, but rarely have any issues either.

Jamie