Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dress to pass or not?

I dress to pass and blend. I usually feel pretty good about my presentation although I know I get read sometimes but I still enjoy myself and interacting with others.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    You know it really depends.

There are times I dress fully as fem as possible. Clothes, wig, makeup, the whole kit and kaboodle.

But other times, I dress in fem clothes, but present as a male. Am I trying to pass? As what? A guy in fem clothes? Well I do that just fine.

What do I never do? Dress for shock value.

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    I don't understand why a guy would go out in public wearing female clothes but without the wig or long hair and without shaving and enough makeup to cover his beard shadow. While people might not shout out "freak!", you know what they are thinking. And of course if anyone you know sees you, your "secret" is out.
    #1 - I don't give a rat's ass what others are going to think about me. Apparently the vast majority of the population doesn't care what I think about their choices in appearances and why should they?

#2 - Maybe I don't have a problem with being in between genders and showing that to the world. I am not afraid that people are going to pitchfork me if they don't think I am a GG. I wear what I want to wear, not for others, but for me.

#3 - Oh no! Not my super special secret! Please no! Maybe it is time we stop hiding folks? Why do so many of us feel such shame that we can't let anyone know? You do know that does not help others to begin to know we are normal people.
    Last edited by Nadine Spirit; 10-01-2014 at 01:29 PM.

I dress to get approval from the guy looking into the mirror.

Part-time girl... Tracy Hazel Lee's Avatar

I have reached the point of not worrying about it.

While I always do my best to achieve the most feminine presentation I can manage, I go out with the full awareness that I am not female. I don't care if people read me, or don't call me 'miss'. Passing to me, means nobody was aggressive and/or violent. That's all I expect.
    Tracy Hazel Lee

@URNA @Flickr

I go many ways. I sometimes like to try to pass. Other times, I'm hoping I DON'T pass.

I don't think I would go outside until i am 100% sure I'm passable. I guess I just care too much about what people think or something, its a harsh world sometimes.

I guess it depends on how you define "pass!" I usually dress to try and blend in and avoid drawing attention to myself, pretty much the same as I do in "boy mode" just switched to female styles. There is, of course, a big exception to this if I go out to a bar or club, then I usually go to extra lengths to make myself as feminine as possible and try to glam it up as much as I can without crossing into drag queen territory... Especially if I'm in a mood and am going for a sexy look. The rest of the time I just focus on being comfortable but still somewhat pretty.

Junior Member Mellisastocking996's Avatar
    I dress to pass, I study current local fashion styles and try to emulate them according to my age. I must say that some women where I am don't look so feminine, so should I get clocked, then I feel that I ca get away with it so to speak. Carrying myself femininely and feeling a woman in my mindset certainly helps too .

Aspiring Member Dana does shopping's Avatar
    Just got back from shopping & I must echo many of the sentiments expressed throughout this thread. as long as I am treated with the respect I project to my 'borrowed' gender whilst out .. all is good. It is the odd knob that one has to always be in consideration of ... that & the environs you venture into!

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    The fact is that Tina is incredibly hard on herself as far as the reality of her femininity. If there is a hair out of place, or a vocal intonation that sounds at all like a male, or a body movement that says "male", or if she's not chatty enough, of if she is dressed inappropriately, Tina is real unhappy. Furthermore, my wife if very open about telling Tina just what works and what doesn't. In the main, Tina dresses for Tina with the idea that she is a much harder critic than anyone around her might be.

I dress to blend in, so for me that's passing. I have been to events where the crowd is very eclectic and have been complimented on my feminine appearance by total strangers, and addressed as ma'am. So when all is said and done I have passed.
    Luv and Jill

Straight, into Fantasy Land

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    I always dress to pass. My day is perfect when I am "M'amed" by anyone while out shopping or lunching.

Dress conservatively to pass unless I'm going to a party or club.

Banned Read only
    I'm six foot even. I weigh 190 +/- pounds. I know I will probably not pass as a woman under close scrutiny, especially at a close distance. I always do my best to look as womanly as possible. I always wear a dress that is age appropriate. That entails wearing a shoulder length grey wig since my hair has seen the passing of time. There was a time when I did not have a wig. Without the wig I looked like a guy in a dress. It only seems natural to try to obscure the fact you are a male when wearing a dress, hosiery and high heels, let alone trying to explain to someone why you are wearing a bra when you do not have boobs.

Aspiring Member
    Being into costume, I become the character I dress as.

When dressed as a woman I become a woman and want to have all of the proper mannerisms as well. I do make a passable women when dressed

But once the clothing is off I am just a regular guy with no feminine gestures or mannerisms.

Dress to pass, the more I go out as Robyn the more confident I become. That makes it a little easier each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Hazel Lee View Post
    While I always do my best to achieve the most feminine presentation I can manage, I go out with the full awareness that I am not female. I don't care if people read me, or don't call me 'miss'. Passing to me, means nobody was aggressive and/or violent. That's all I expect.
    I like Tracy's "working definition" of "passing". For me "passing" consists of confusing people into thinking that I might be a woman for just long enough that I cease to be of any interest to them! So, in that sense, I DO dress to (try to) pass!

Mind you I've no illusions about anyone who either hears me speak or gets a good look, from 10yds or less, being fooled!

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Do athletes train and practice to win the Bronze or Silver medal? They are all trying for the Gold! Do they all win the gold, or any other medal? No, but if you train to come in anyplace but first, why train or practice? I know this isn't the world of competative crossdressing, but I try to set my standards as high as possible and do my best to achieve that level. Do I get there? Never have, probably never will, but I'm not going to go out in a public setting if I'm not comfortable with what I've accomplished. If I do my best and try for the Gold, my attitude is much better and it's going to be a much more enjoyable time regardless of how I am received by the Romanian Judge "She's terrible, I give her a 2".
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I dress because I like to dress enfemme and could care less if I don't pass, just love to wear all things femme.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    There are some great answers here...my favorite being none of us pass...which is very true....or...none of us pass ALL the time is a good way to put it ...so with that in mind does it really matter ? All you can do is be the best YOU..

I may be alone, but I don't really try to pass, I just want to add some clothes ftom the other sider of the store to my guy's everyday wardrobe.
    Leggings and a knee length skirt are so much more comfortable than jeans. No fabric biting in at the knee or hip while sitting for a longer time.

Oh yeah, I dress to pass. I venture out not more than a few times per year but, when I do, I prepare meticulously and to the best of my ability. No half measures for this girl!

Now, do I succeed? Who knows! I'm happy to assume I've succeeded if I get no rude remarks and don't care if I'm being delusional. On the plus side I've been working on my craft a loooong time. On the minus side I'm 5' 12" tall and lean a bit too heavily towards the June Cleaver end of the spectrum. I've gotten tons of "ma'am's" in my day, but then there was the sassy chick who walked up to me on Freemont Street in Las Vegas singing "Dude Looks Like a Lady".

Hugs, Michelle

I dress to blend more than pass. Not very good at makeup and sometimes my wigs have a mind of their own! But really I just enjoy dressing and all the details that go with it.

Kara Zor-El
    I dress to pass but if people looked closely enough they could tell. I really don't go out much and usually stay in the car. I usually forget to cover up the Adam's apple but oh well.

For me it's got to be dress to pass. Although I haven't ventured out yet it's all been for practice to pass