Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Violating a gender norm for class, suggestions?

Violating a gender norm for class, suggestions?(now with pictures!)

Hello everyone! I'm taking a class on the psychology of gender, and for next week's assignment we are supposed to violate a gender norm and then write down our response and how other people responded. I am pleased to have such a legitimate excuse to do something feminine, but am unsure of what might be a good violation. I'm not really that comfortable with dressing in public yet (in fact, I've never done any in public at all) so I don't want to do anything too drastic, but I thought that you all would probably have some fantastic suggestions as to possible options

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by watts; 01-25-2006 at 08:20 PM.

Wear nail polish, a femme color...
    DanaJ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned Read only
    That sounds like a really interesting assigment.
    I agree awith Dana, an obviously feminine shade of nail varnish (pink, red) would seem to be the solution if you're reacting with strangers.
    Plus nails are easily hidden if the need arises.
    I'd like to hear the outcome.

Pantyhose would get my vote.

Of course, with today's college crowd, even the girls might not know what they are...
    "Masquerading as a man with a reason, my charade is the event of the season" ('Carry On Wayward Son' by Kansas)

Thumbs up

I sugest wearing full make up . Must be applied properly. Also if you want to go to the expense and your hairs long enough a feminine hair style< A wig ? (The easiest way would be to go to a beauty shop and have a full makeover.)
    This may not be as way out as you might think as many rock singers or other way out men wear make up to night clubs these days.
    Have fun, You might get some admiring comments or critisim about style from the RGs in class.
    Joanna

[SIZE="5"]Pumps![/SIZE]

Whip out the Manolo's, let those Nine West's shine! Easy solution that requires very little time and effort.

Great suggestions! I can't really do FULL dress, for one thing I don't really have any full outfits (I've just started living on my own and couldn't keep anything around before). I have pretty short hair, how much would a makeover type thing run? Femme nail polish would also be really easy.

As for pumps, I had actually been thinking about going to a shoe store and picking some up then wearing them around a bit. I don't know, I'm still kinda nervous about the whole thing. Should be a great experience though!

I'll definately let everyone know the result

do it right...
    go get breast implants before the next class...

I side with Dana on this one. Maybe a set of nails applied and then a femme red. If the weather is warm where you are, perhaps, a matching pedicure and a pair of sandals (No, not the strappy kind. You know just plain flat summer-time sandals). Good luck with this experiment.
    Sherrie Lynn Pall

Sometimes I make sense and that frightens me.

Please don't let me be the last post on this thread

go 4 it girl

the very best of luck to you,, im proud of you, tara

What Me Worry
    Kathyrn has a great idea but if time is a factor Dana's idea is probably the best.

Thanks for the support everyone, there seems to be a consensus on nails being a good choice. I talked to a friend about it, and she suggested that maybe painted nails wouldn't really be enough of a norm violation to get a reaction at all? I don't know.

I could definately see doing makeup as well, I don't have any though so I'd have to get it done at a salon or something. Hmm. Shoes appeal a good bit as well, I'm just really torn in general!

Whatever the case, thanks again

gurly girl

nails

i agree with the pedicure and manicure....do them pink or red and wear a flat pair of sandels or flip flops. that would be cute

How about jewelery, necklace, rings, the works!!

Love Karren

Having both nails and toes with flip flops would be great, were it not 30 degrees out!

Jewelry is a great idea, but I don't have any

Go on Watts, get your dress on and everything else. You say you'd be uncomfortable going out in public dressed; but you've got the perfect excuse now, and nobody needs to know your true feelings about dressing as a woman. It's all part of your assignment! You won't get a better opportunity, and you'll kick yourself if you don't! I wish I was in your class!

Good luck,
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by watts
    Thanks for the support everyone, there seems to be a consensus on nails being a good choice. I talked to a friend about it, and she suggested that maybe painted nails wouldn't really be enough of a norm violation to get a reaction at all? I don't know.
    First you say that you are not comfortable with doing any dressing in public, then you don't want to do anything too drastic.

Now - painted nails or even long painted nails (a bright red) isn't enough to get a reaction? So, I don't understand what you are really after here....
    DanaJ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Gosh, this sounds like a fun assigment. I agree with others, if it were me, I would wear bright pearly pink nail polish on my finger nails and black masscara with perhaps also a woman's sweater or blouse.....oh and earrings.

Whatever you decide, let us know how it works out.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

I would do the fingernails and make-up. Also, if you are uncomfortable a nice pair of women's jeans with a conservative women's top could work. This way you still blend in and get to be outside dressed as a girl as it sounds like you would like to do. You could add a pink belt to the jeans.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Definately wear a BRA--at least a C cup, and fully padded, under your shirt.---Makeup or painted fingernails may go un noticed, unless they are extreme or seen relatively close up, but BOOBS on a guy would not be missed It would definately get a reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by DanaJ
    First you say that you are not comfortable with doing any dressing in public, then you don't want to do anything too drastic.

Now - painted nails or even long painted nails (a bright red) isn't enough to get a reaction? So, I don't understand what you are really after here....
    I didn't think about LONG painted nails, that would be great! I was thinking that JUST polish on nails might not be that noticeable as I have known guys who do that for other mysterious reasons (ah, college), but long nails would be a different story. I don't know much about long nails though, would it be hard to get them off? It's something I've always wanted to try anyway, which would be a plus.

Jeans are a great Idea too, and I actually have a pair of women's jeans (that one could NOT mistake for mens, they are low rise stretch tommy hilfigers with no back pockets). I'm really bad with tops though, what sort top would go with jeans?

I'd wear a skirt, a most definately femme skirt, and maybe paint my nails.

I wouldn't wear heels, if you haven't been wearing them, you'll be hurting by the end of class.

Make up, goths wear make up all the time, so it's not that gender bending, and you don't seem comfortable enough to go out made up.

It is WAY too cold to wear a skirt right now, I'd freeze to death!

I'm thinking that I will try different things throughout the day and see which one provokes the strongest reactions. Like, I'll start with the nails, then the jeans (and a top if I can find one, though I imagine I'll have my coat on most of the time anyway due to coldness), maybe try makeup and wear everything walking around shops downtown that evening or something. I think it would perhaps strengthen my paper to see what people react to most strongly as well. (I predict that alone none would have much reaction, but all together people might look twice).

I'll have to talk to my boss tomorrow to make sure they won't fire me if I show up like that.

Edit: Since I'm a college student I actually will only have two classes the day of (neither one the gender class, so I don't get to see everyone elses choices, sadly) so I can fool around with a few different things.
    Last edited by watts; 01-23-2006 at 11:06 PM.

CD
    I want to know what school you're going to so I can sign up.

No one suggested it so I will. I would wear a skirt with everything else guy. I have a rushed cotton skirt (just above knee length) that looks great with a guy's shirt and Uggs. Also a full length slinky skirt (leopard print) with a long guy shirt (For public exhibition I make sure I cover the genitals with the shirt). As a guy I find it surprisingly comfortable to wear around an unpredictable audience. You can think of it as a sarong. Even “common” guys wear sarongs…

So what school was that?

CD
    Opps sorry. Nixed the skirt before I got it posted. Can you tell I'm from California. We can still wear skirts in the winter here. :cheeky: