Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Violating a gender norm for class, suggestions?

I'm hesitant to say what school on the net as it would be really easy to figure out who I am (not a huge deal really, I'm just a very private person). I will say that it is a Jesuit university and it isn't a typical gender studies class, but an upper level psych class.

We watched a very interesting video today on a lesbian woman who dressed up as a man for eight months to really experience the differences between male and female life. She passed AMAZINGLY well (and was not unnatractive as a female or anything of the sort either) and had a number of insightful comments, she wrote a book about it but I forget the name

Edit: just saw that you replied again about the skirt! Yes, I imagine California is rather nice right now

what an assignment

I like the idea of trying different things throughout the day. This friend of yours who would help with the nail polish, she might be more helpful in finding things for you to wear if you asked. I'd definetly stuff some boobs under a girly shirt and go with the jeans. Leave the hair alone, paint the nails and use some lipstick. I wish I had a class like that in school. Something to use as a dream now.

If it is a violations to ones gender norms then take a good look at yourself. Find the things in yourself that says you are a man and then change them. An example of this would be your style not necessarily your clothes. Accessories to what you wear would also be an item to consider. You can do this project without really going to the extreme, however If you want to have fun with it then go for the full make over. Now to contradict myself. Do not do anything that you may regret in the future. This project should not be used as an opportunity to go outing in. Make your own opportunity when you are ready instead of taking advantage of one that came up.
    A simple solution that is trendy and feminine is a nice purse with matching shoes.

The friend of mine would absolutely love to help me out, but she lives about 8 hours away right now

April, you have some excellent points, especially about doing my thing in my own time. Since this is a college class no one will necessarily know I'm doing it for that, and to be honest I'd rather go out in full dress outside of classes (like around town or something). That's why I am liking the idea of different stages, it lets me be a bit more comfortable with it and will let me enjoy it more.

As for style, I'm not sure what I wear that really signals to people that I am a guy, I've actually been mistaken for a woman before earlier this year when it was really cold, I was wearing a hat and one of those face masky things (that were androgynous, I've seen girls and guys wearing them), and had a few guys hold doors open for me and look REALLY surprised when I say "thank you" (I have a deep voice). I'm assuming that wearing tight, lowrise bootcut jeans and nice eyes tricked them! Maybe I'm just dreaming, but I've only had it happen when wearing that hat and facemask.

Artistically Feminine Ava Mouse's Avatar

Question Great ideas, but...

But what are the GG's gonna do? I mean, really, what gender norms haven't women already broken?

If I were you, I'd dress 100% and go to class in an evening gown...

In fact, in March I may be an 'exhibit' in a few sessions of gender classes for a day. Our Emerald City group sometimes has CD'rs & TG's go and give quick talks about themselves and answer questions...

Naturally, I'll share it all here after it happens...
    Last edited by Ava Mouse; 01-24-2006 at 12:53 AM.
    Ava Mouse - An artist experimenting with the medium of femininity...
    "Imitation is the most sincerest form of flattery."

One amusing suggestion in my textbook was for them to chew tobacco in public. I thought it odd to encourage such things.

The girls gender bending is less likely to be with clothing and whatnot and be more action. I'm thinking things like opening the door for guys, paying for a date, etc. I'm sure some will think of interesting things as there are about 20-25 females and 3 males in this class.

Banned Read only
    Whatever you decide to do, realize that everyone will be watching. Even though you may not see a reaction. Women especially. They pick up on stuff like that in a heartbeat. Don't do anything trashy.. If you do something, do it with taste. If your uncertain how to measure that, look at just what your changing in the mirror. Say to yourself, "Does this scream ****" If it does, dont do it. The idealism we CD's place on our attire is a dead one. Look around next time your out at how few women wear skirts with pumps anymore. Its simply not the norm. Most girls are wearing pants, a top, and whatever comfortable shoe they want. If you really want a noticeble reaction. Subtle Subtle Subtle. Wear Jeans, but get a feminine cut. (Not jeans that force you to have a bare midriff). Wear Sneakers if you want (like a white pair with a little pink stripe on em). If you want to paint your nails, do so.. make em match. Dont wear a sexy shirt if you can avoid it. Simplicity. Comfort. You know who will notice the most? Girls. And if they dont. Your doing it really well.

You should be able to write an additional paper on redefining the double-take as a new form of flattery to the TG community.

Course .. thats just my opinion, I could be in a corset losing blood flow to my extremeties!
    Hope it all works out, Good luck to you.

I like the nail polish idea. Either that, or you could even try those fake nails for something sexier. In addition to all the other benefits mentioned, you can just pull them off when you're done, which sure beats breaking out the nail polish remover afterward.

Banned Read only
    [SIZE=3]Perfect time to wear femme jeans and a blouse and get away with it.
    I took psychology last quarter i didn't get to do anything fun like that. I would have gone the whole 9 too and enjoyed it.
    [/SIZE]

Violating a gender norm

Hi Wats,

Realize that others in your class have the same assignment. What do you think they will do, because they see it as fun they probably go much further than you. Being more serious with it you violate more and you might get questions about it. If you want to come out this might be a good opportunity. Have fun anyway.

Love,
    Lotte

Ask for help

Watts,

You said that you had about 25 GGs in the class. If you have the chance, talk to a couple of them and ask them what they would consider doing if they were you. You might be able to enlist their help or even do something as a "couple" (her-him/him-her couple that is).

Good luck.
    Leann

Enjoy who you are but stay safe.

If you sat with a few girls from your school and told them about it, then you could have an "in" with the ladies about such topics in the future. Then you would have access to any clothes, makeup, etc that you may need. I agree that this should not be your "outing." It should be an attempt to do well on your assignment. I am jealous!

I dressed in a skirt to work for halloween, and after that, I was somewhat in to the "one of the girls" group. I could talk about things with some of the ladies, and it wasn't wierd.

If you talk to your fellow students, you might get lucky and have a "trying on" party in one of their dorms. Wouldn't it be great fun to have some girls dote on you that way!?

Another strategic option is to wax your legs. Waxing lasts longer than shaving and then you can enjoy shaved legs for a little while, with an excuse.

How about wearing a more conservative, longer skirt. But wear a man's sweater or an androgynous top. It would be a subtle push towards gender equality in apparel without crossing the line of saying, i want to be a woman, it just says, I want to wear what I want to wear, I want to express myself a little more through my choice of clothes. But refrain from other overtly feminine things such as hair, makeup and nails, again emphasizing that you just want to wear what you feel comfortable in without saying I want to be a woman - why can't I be a man and wear a skirt, that already pushes the boundries enough.

Julia

Watts,

So, when is your class? When do you do your "experiment"? We're dying to know.

My vote is for long manicured nails, maybe french tip or a girly red/pink. While you're at it, shave your arms/hands as well (if they're hairy).

Just make sure you practice doing stuff with them before you go out.

Cheers,

-S

Quote Originally Posted by Priscilla Ann
    How about this go on a normal date with you, your date, and a another couple.....have dinner...and sometime before you leave...say "Excuse me"...get up and walk a little towards the restroom...turn look at the other guy and say Bill or whatever his name is..."you want to join me"?

If that doesn't get a reaction nothing will. Two girls going to the restroom together...normal.....Two straight guys...no, no, no.
    This is great, I won't really have the opportunity to set something like this up as the paper is due friday, but it would be really interesting.

The class is on mondays, but my paper is due friday, so there isn't really any chance for collaboration with female class members. Also, I am an amazingly shy person so I don't really talk to people that much normally, much less about this! Though for my abnormal psychology class we had to do a video on transvestic fetishism and I wound up wearing a pink skirt over my boxers with a girl's tank top and pumps. Everyone in the class was highly amused.

Kryss, I like what you said about subtlety, I think that feminine jeans and a pair of androgynous shoes I have (my sister liked them so much she almost bought the same pair), plus fingernails would be a good way to violate the gender norm without making it appear more like an attempt at drawing attention.

edit: I actually did have my legs waxed a while ago, the lady's reaction at the salon wasn't too interesting and it's a wee bit too cold to show off such things right now!
    Last edited by watts; 01-24-2006 at 11:36 AM.

Do you get extra points for getting beaten up in public?

Sounds like a fantasy.....or a project designed by a lecturer who needs to get a grip on reality.

But if you really want to violate gender roles......carry a pink handbag....and see how far down the high street you get without a reaction......(and think of the extra points.).

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by watts
    It is WAY too cold to wear a skirt right now, I'd freeze to death!

I'm thinking that I will try different things throughout the day and see which one provokes the strongest reactions. Like, I'll start with the nails, then the jeans (and a top if I can find one, though I imagine I'll have my coat on most of the time anyway due to coldness), maybe try makeup and wear everything walking around shops downtown that evening or something. I think it would perhaps strengthen my paper to see what people react to most strongly as well. (I predict that alone none would have much reaction, but all together people might look twice).

I'll have to talk to my boss tomorrow to make sure they won't fire me if I show up like that.

Edit: Since I'm a college student I actually will only have two classes the day of (neither one the gender class, so I don't get to see everyone elses choices, sadly) so I can fool around with a few different things.
    Nonsense---wear a long midi type skirt with knee hi stilletto heeled boots, appropriate underwear---panty hose, waistnipper and bra--or corset --a girly type sweater, makeup, long fake nails and a wig----if you are going to challenge somebodies gender stereo types, challenge them---don't beat around the bush---anyway the above oufit should be enough to keep you warm---remember tobe tasteful---your going to class not to a local club---save the short black leather for later. and good luck--

I'd ask that female friend to help you with makeup and nails and anything else you decide to do. Why pass up a chance to have a woman help you...most CD's biggest desire!
    Bobbi

For what it is worth, I am aware some of you are skeptical about the assignement, however, when I was in college, there was a genders studies class that had a similar assignment, I was not in the class that I took, however we always knew when the assignments were coming due, as we would see men in skirts and women in business suits. I wanted to take the class, but for an Accounting major, no room.

Good luck on the class, may I suggest you wear some panties and hose no mater what you do, even under some non descript clothing, it will help you feel more girly and sell the violation.

Platinum Member
    oh sillys look way too easy eather some eye shadow or eye liner nothing over board but noticeable....

I am all for the nail polish idea. red is a good color after all you want it to be noticed. Also a nice pair of dangley clip on earings, that should turn some heads too. Good luck to ya and remember. We're all pullen for ya.
    keep on gurlin everyone. paula may

I am really interested to see both your reaction and those of your classmates.

My vote would be a very feminine top, with the rest outwardly male. Bra and padding optional.

KimberlyS
    KimberlyS-CD
    joe in a skirt. Being myself not trying to be some other CDer
    Just trying to find a balance for my son and myself.

Standard disclaimer: Going out of the house was right for me, it may or may not be right for you. If you've got no desire to leave the house, that's fine, I'm not trying to push you out the door. But for those who've been yearning to do so, I just want to let you know the world may not be as scary a place as you think.

Quote Originally Posted by KimberlyS
    Bra and padding optional.
    optional? I'd say at least C cup forms...

How about a girly blouse? You can get one fairly cheap at second hand store..it can look really femmy or slightly femmy, the buttons on the blouse will give it away...combine that with a light clear coat of polish. You don't want to be in your face kind of attitude...you can choose the blouse with just the right amount of femmy look

I have to say (and I think this is same for lot of others), that I've been having the most fun following this thread. Watts sounds sincere, but bad Karma and juju if she's yanking our, um garters.

One thing that came to mind is by all means, do not look cheesy/trashy, otherwise, folks on campus/town will assume you're a frat boy doing a hazing stunt. The key is to look like you wear your nails/blouse/skirt/whatever every day. I think the suggestion of panties/hose under the outfit (even if you're in guy jeans) is a good one to help you set the mood.

-Sedona
    -Sedona