Thread: Transition speedbumps

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar

Transition speedbumps

I think its safe to say that no transition goes smooth or according to plan.

Today I hit of those heart wrenching ones. Went in for a consult for laser only to find out that there was no way they'd consider taking me on for my face. Truth be told I pretty figured that would be the case given all the white hairs but in my hopeful fog I thought just maybe maybe there's some new technology out there that's solved this issue. This news leaves little options I think.

On the upside they did say they'd be happy to tackle everything else below the neck so just need to determine start time to get started.

Steps forward with equal parts set backs.... Jennifer

Well that leaves electrolysis doesn't it? Takes a long time but it is permanent. Below the neck will usually be taken care of with hormones.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Angela;

Thought I might try just wishing them away but I guess not. These are the times when you say to yourself."why didn't I start sooner". That would have been quite some time back as I've been very grey for a long time.

Cheers... Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Campbell View Post
    Well that leaves electrolysis doesn't it? Takes a long time but it is permanent. Below the neck will usually be taken care of with hormones.
    Hormones did nothing to get rid of any hair anywhere on my body. It did slow the growth down though. I had to do laser on my body and electro on my face.

ohh sorry to hear April. Many of us lose it all, but then I was not very hairy to begin with. I guess it varies, but I know several who did well.
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Silver Member
    I lost it in a few places it was light anyway. It's reduced elsewhere. Epilation takes care of that. The only place I'm really not happy with that is my tummy.
    Lea

I guess it's happy electro time!

When it comes to body hair mine hasn't changed much, but then again my T is still in the male range for some reason.
    I've seen a reduction on my legs after 3 complete waxes though.

Still have a buttjungle though and I'm not sure I want to subject my incredibly nice laser/electro/waxing tech to that horror.

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I did read a couple of years ago about one test in which the subjects took dye pills for about 6 weeks before the laser sessions so that the growing white or pale hairs had had some time to take up the dye. The results were not fabulous, about 20% less clearance than typical laser (e.g., 60% instead of 80%), but it was still faster than electrolysis.

You would need a real dermatologist with specialized lasers and a willingness to experiment to be able to try something like this yourself; most places are going to say there is no hope for laser on the white hair.

When I started laser it was with the knowledge that the cypro was for some reason causing a lot of my beard to come in white; I figured that even though I did not "need" laser for passing purposes at that time, that I had better get started on it while there was still enough dark hair for it to work on. The dermatologist would probably have declined to try on me if I had not been on HRT, as in his experience the success rate for males with my hair characteristics was not very good but was better for those on HRT. So those who still have dark facial hair: start laser early, before it stops working on you.

Electrolysis. Go get your hair removed and live your life.
    Last edited by Michelle.M; 10-12-2014 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Snarky mod comment removed
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

Ex prisoner in paradise CostaRicaRachel's Avatar
    I'm sorry to hear that
    I have a laser appointment for Oct 31. I have some gray hair in my beard.
    I let it grow for a few days and then sent in some photos. They said
    they could do it, except for the gray. I hope they were telling the truth,
    (and know what they are talking about.)

I wanted to try electrolysis, but I live in Costa Rica and I could find no one
    that provides the procedure in the entire country?

I sure hope laser works!
    Although your current visions might be grounded in reality,
    there are no shortcuts to get from here to there.
    Face the facts and realize that you still may have to manifest this
    dream the old-fashioned way: by creating a concrete plan,
    putting in the hard work and maintaining an
    unwavering determination to make it happen.

Sandra-Leigh:

Good insight ... I did not realize that Cypro and spironolactone had that effect on facial hair and that does explain something.

And you're right... For those young ins. Start hair removal as early as possible is a key bkm.

Thanks... Jennifer

I did laser and it was great for about a year. Then a lot of the dark hair came back. If I had it to do over I would have started with the electrolysis right away. Electrolysis is working well but slow.

Banned Read only
    Look at the bright side of this Jennifer. At least you have had 35 years for them to improve the technology used for electrolysis. Back then I'll swear they used two steel poles and 220v straight from the electrical pole out front. ZAP!

I feel your pain. I know it's a minor thing in the big picture, but the difficulty and cost of facial hair removal gets me down sometimes, too. I'm getting to an age where gray/white hairs are becoming an issue, but money's super tight right now. Hoping to save up next year and start treatment after finding a good deal with a competent company.
    I'm through accepting limits
    'Cause someone says they're so
    Some things I cannot change
    But 'til I try, I'll never know!
    - Defying Gravity from Wicked

Swans have more fun! sandra-leigh's Avatar
    I have not encountered any paper or drug side-effect listing that mentioned cypro possibly triggering higher facial hair growth rates or that the new hair might tend to come in white. I can just report on my own experience.

When I was on cypro, my hair thinned out everywhere else on my body; but on my lip and chin and throat, it grew faster and denser; and half it it grew in white (a considerably higher rate than before). The growth was also further down and to the sides of my throat than I had ever had before. I did eventually stop taking cypro and when I did the facial hair growth rate slowed down, did not spread as far around the throat, a higher portion of the growth was dark; oh and the hair growth on the rest of my body crept up again .