Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How many of us are in a female dominated profession?

I'm an RN, yep woman dominated, but i don't care.

I am in social services/counseling). I am often the only male at meetings. I am also quite certain I always have the prettiest panties on
    Last edited by Tamara Croft; 11-11-2014 at 04:19 AM. Reason: no need to quote posts
    [SIZE="3"]*PinK*[/SIZE] Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the *present*

Flight attendant, a very female dominated world.

Medical support assistant. Basically an office assistant to a team of doctors and nurses, all female. I love it. Two male doctors, two male nurses and me vs. five to six female doctors, twice as many nurses, and six support female support assistants.
    Victoria
    By the grace of God, I am what I am.

I am not sure accounting is thought of as a woman's profession, but apparently 60% of accountants and auditors are women. From my experience the higher the job the more likely the job is held by a male, and if it is an accounting clerk job the more likely it is held by a female.

Banned Read only
    Stephanie,
    As a professional photographer for thirty years, the main stay of my business was weddings so I spent much of my time ( perhaps too much ! ) arranging beautiful dresses around some very pretty women ! I guess being a CDer did help ! Not because I wanted to be the bride but trying to make her look her best ! I must confess I always wanted to be bridesmaid, I loved the variety of colours and how much easier the dresses were to wear !

If I had two or three weddings to cover in one day it was exhausting a CDer can get too much of a good thing !!

It always amused me that the guys were so reluctant to even touch the wedding dress ( I guess frightened they might suddenly become transformed CDers ! How terrible !!) and yet it would have looked odd if I stood back and didn't arrange them correctly ! and to think I got paid for it as well !!
    Last edited by Teresa; 10-12-2014 at 05:10 AM.

I once had a job assignment where I replaced a woman in a six woman group that had been known as "Chick Central". It was great. I felt so much more relaxed and had more fun with those gals than I can remember ever having with guys. It was a casual office and I wore bright Hawaiian shirts all summer long.
    (Hmmm... that was about the time I began to wonder about, and began investigating what turned out to be my urge to crossdress.)
    Quarterly TG Invasions: TgDetroit.com
    Facebook: MsVal Bralt

Near on thirty years as a nurse here

It's just the way I am, that I make a better support person than a leader. Yet, my career has been in management. I have the skills and the mindset to make a great executive administrative assistant, a job that I think (being a guy) I would never get serious consideration.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    My career was in Law Enforcement, a male dominated profession. However I was not an officer, but a member of the professional support team working with the analytics. Once you move out of the Uniform part of law enforcement it seems there a quite a few more women, so I was on the cusp once again. Now I'm retired and if I live long enough it will be in a group that is predominately women since most men seem to die a little earlier.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

I've been a nurse for more than 25 years now.

Being a life long educator, I have always closely with women a I have a lot of respect for them. Most of my friends that I have developed in this career are women, some of whom I try to emulate when I become Sarah. I just wish that I could share this side of me with them, but alas it will forever remain a secret.
    Sarah Adams, mature girl from NH. My photos are on Flickr under vintage4sarah !

I'm a Staff Nurse in a North West A&E department. Been there for nearly 6 years. Been qualified 9 years and I've worked in care since I was 19 (am now 32).
    Side points of note, I am pushing to become an approved mentor to the student nurses we get in out dept. as I am very passionate about forwarding the knowledge and skills to the new generation.
    I am also our department's lead nurse for Equality and Diversity, I'm currently in the process of developing an 'Equality/Diversity Crash course' due to doctor rotation and high staff turn over (A&E is silly busy).
    Samantha -x-

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I'm not in a profession that would be a predominantly female venue but, there's been quite a thorough house cleaning in management. The result is that my new director is female. Extremely personable and professional and totally appreciates the experience and expertise I bring to the department. Very refreshing after having worked with back stabbing unqualified trolls for nine years. Also, the entire HR staff has been revamped with intelligent women.

Hmmm? Female dominated, HR staff, Vegas style office attire.

I might have to get in trouble, again!
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

educator-39 years (ret). 15 years Administration the rest as a teacher-both regular and special education HS. ( I really liked teaching and hated being a principal.)
    joank
    Southern California

Likewise, flight attendant for 20+ years

I coach sports so I would say from what I have seen the majority of workers are men

Teaching English to children in Japan means I am seriously out-numbered by the ladies at work by at least 4:1.

I am entering the field of professional tax preparers and it seems like it is dominated by women. The classes I take are filled with women and the teachers are women.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

IT work is supposedly dominated by men, but of the five people in my staff, there's only one guy (and it's not me). We pinch-hit to cover each other, as the City Council still has a hiring freeze on since the start of the Bush Recession.

It's frustrating - interviewing these people knowing that I have 0% chance of actually HIRING them...

I used to work as a probation officer. I was one of two males in the county. Then I switched to working for the school district where it's about 20% male.

I used to work in construction but for the last 8 years I have been a house husband looking after our 3 teenage kids and also working part time in housekeeping within hotels and holiday cottages, a very female dominated industry.

RN too. Who would have thought that so many of us would have ended in this line of work. I often wonder about a few of my "male" co-workers. I just don't have the guts to out myself at work. I do wear ladies nurse shoes and tights, but the only people who notice are the ladies.

I'm an HVAC mechanic by trade which is very male dominated. In fact, I've never seen a female HVAC tech before, although there's bound to be a few out there. I work in a hospital that is something like 80% female though so I'm surrounded by women all day.