Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Risks of being recognized when OUT enfemme

Crossdresser-At-Large BillieAnneJean's Avatar

Risks of being recognized when OUT enfemme

"OMG! If I go OUT enfemme and someone recognizes me, I am discovered!"

We see this a lot on this forum. I hear it from others.

We'll let me tell you a little story:
    The Grand Rapids Crossdresser Social Group "Grand Illusions" went to a general public nightclub and danced our (high) heels off. Our SOs are welcome at these OUTings, we have them once per month. We have IN meetings once a month too. But this is about being OUT. My SO was dancing with the group too. We were all dancing in a loosely defined circle. Most of the time GGs we don't know join in. A woman came in to the group and was dancing with us. My SO was talking to her a lot. I mistakenly thought that the discussion was about we "girls" and specifically me as both my SO and the woman were laughing quite a bit. This woman has been a close friend for decades. So I figured what the hell. I said "Hi Bev!" Dancing right there next to me and even me in front of her, she had not recognized me. Even with the gap teeth and the dimples. She was floored and howled and could not stop laughing. Nor could I. Ya gotta admit I am pretty funny when enfemme. I laugh at me too.

If I had kept my mouth shut my secret would have never gotten out. She would have never realized who it was.

I am not paying any attention to those "Gonna get recognized" opinions again. Doing so is why I screwed up and Outed myself!

I have a great time when OUT and enfemme. I am going to keep doing it in spite if these horribly scary risks like outing myself. All I gotta do is figure out how to control that. Duct tape?

SUCH FUN!
    Last edited by BillieAnneJean; 10-12-2014 at 09:41 PM.

Always too much fun, Billie! I don't particularly think duct tape would work for me though. Especially when I ran into a group of friends when out recently around the city hahaha!
    Smi mens jernet er varmt.
    "Don't laugh just cause my bra's stuffed with socks!"
    ♫ "I'm your ch-ch-ch-ch-CHERRY BOMB!" ♫

When I'm at the club I hope they recognize me as a good dancer.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

No risk over here on the west coast for me.
    Only my supposedly outlandish dressing may give me away to someone here.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    you are so right...Quite a few of my gal pals of mine have shared "guy mode" pictures with each other....and the answer is always the same no matter who shows who.." its usually something like" Wow...what a difference...i never would have guessed"......cause its true....its amazing the difference between full makeup...and a 5 o'clock shadow in guy mode ......

Transforming from an old geezer to a beautiful woman is my specialty.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

But some of us old geezers Kate just don't transform all that well... Lol

Reality Check
    So you outed yourself? That's not one of the things I think about when I think of the "Risks of being recognized when OUT enfemme". If you choose to out yourself that's fine unless alcohol was involved and you regret it the next day.

Banned Read only
    Yes, but it pisses me off when they think they do recognize me and say "Laura you look so cute!" That biatch Laura! She always gets all the recognition, for everything! I respond by saying, Damit, I am Jorja and stomp off.

Now that I spent 24/7 wearing female attire I do not care if I'm recognized, by old friends, or not. Living this way for a decade they do have to be very old friends.
    Fulfilling a Lifetime Dream of Living as a Woman in My Adult Years. Ten Years Living 24/7 as a Mature Lady

My Love of Cat's Eye Frames, Bangles, Red Lipstick, Nails, & Cheeks, Comes From My Mother - An Irish Beauty

I'm Always Rainbow Proud

Aspiring Member
    HA! I'm just a "plain Jane" today at home wearing my wig and long loop earrings. The trash was picked up so I walked to the end of our driveway to retreive the bin. I live in a quiet neighborhood on a dead end street. If a neighbor drove by I had the attitude I'd just wave. I suspect my closest neighbors know after maybe seeing that woman in a one-piece bathing suit in my yard. We're civil, get along fine, and I don't give a rat's behind! I'm generally very liked around here. Once they talk, if they do, it'll become second nature for them as it has for me.

Cheryl

The two things that might get me recognized:

1. My voice. Even if we feminize our voices, the basic resonances are as unique as fingerprints and much more recognizable.
    2. My spouse. Acquaintances have recognized her while we were shopping 60 miles away from home. We just split up and rejoin later on. If we ever got cornered at a dining table the jig would be up.

Now, I do try to make sure that my male persona looks considerably different than my female self. This gets harder since I decided to grow my own hair out. For the present, I just conceal it under a hat in male mode. Later on, after it gets long enough, I will tie it back in male mode.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

What Eryn said. The therapist I've seen says two things can give you away immediately; your car and your voice...
    When the answers escape us when we start to fade
    Remember who loved you and the ones who have stayed
    Cause my body will fail, but my soul will go on
    So don't you get lonely I'm right where you are

If you're dressed and alone most people will not realize who you are. I ran into 2 of my daughter's teachers (both gay men) in a local club. One knows me very well but I had to keep giving them clues before they realized who I was.
    My former tax preparer also didn't recognize me either. Also at Halloween, the ladies at DMV didn't recognize me until I opened my mouth and I'm there a couple of time a week. So I believe that you can probably fly under the radar if you're dressed to blend.

I don't worry too much about being recognized when I go out. About the only time I feel I'd be recognized is pulling out of the driveway, and only then because my car and location would give someone a context. Without that context, I seriously doubt anyone would recognize me. I think that generally people see what they expect to see, and think no further about it. I prefer to be discreet and not to deal with coming out to the neighbors right now for lots of reasons, one being that they have no need to know. I suppose if they ever did recognize me, I'd want to ask them if they liked the outfit!
    Margot

If you are professionally made up then chances are millions, millions to 1 that you'll ever be caught in public. I have a friend of mine that was dressed and passed his own sister when he was grocery shopping at Safeway. This is no BS, he said his sister looked right at him but could not put 2 + 2 together because it was so far out of context for her to relate to. I personally worry mostly about my voice out in public but at the same time if I haven't talked to someone in a year then they would have a hard time matching me up. I'm also not going to talk to someone that I recognize. LOL

Launa, my voice is a giveaway, too. I've always been soft spoken, but its something I have to consciously work on.
    Margot

I also believe no one will recognize me. And my recent proof is at SCC. I share a ride down with someone I meet through this site. We were both in boy mode. I had seen her photos so I could make the before and after. But when I was dressed and ran into her in the lobby she didn't know who I was. And thats after 15 hours in the car together. That said, I still get nervous close to home someone will know me. Algoma
    "The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart." Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Margot Emerson View Post
    Launa, my voice is a giveaway, too. I've always been soft spoken, but its something I have to consciously work on.

Your voice might be a give away but only if I'm really trying to put your male face to the voice I'm hearing. I think its harder than you think..... I'm going to take my chances and I know I will recognize the other person before I say one word!

That is true Launa. Its said that people often don't see what's right in front of them. Context is everything, ithink.
    Margot

Aspiring Member
    I never worked on my voice except to speak softer. There are many transitioners who post on Youtube explaining how they were able to raise their pitch into a female range. It does take some work. It's worth checking because one I know can switch back and forth, and she is very convincing. Of course, many CDer's are very convincing until they speak. Some have mastered it well.

Cheryl

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    I do not worry about being outed since my male and female look are so dramaticly different. I was shoulder to shoulder once with my boss at a jewelry counter at Macy's once and she never had a clue. However, if I had a wife who wanted to go out with me she would be the cause of my being outed. After all she would be recognized and than a more observant friend might connect the dots. This is also one of the reasons I never accepted an invite from my daughters when they offered my a night out with the girls when they were in college. I refused for their protection as well as mine.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    My take on this is that anything unique or quirky about your male self that carries over to your femme self will connect the dots for people. Certainly a spouse is a problem that way (which is why going out away from home minimizes the chance of connection, but even then you can be a cousin), but body motions, facial expressions, and the one occupying my time right now: language patterns!

I've got the rejection of the base part of my voice down pat, but now I'm seeing that I don't know what to do with that voice. I need some Tina time to simply work through how Tina is going to speak, and what her nuances will be like! It's hard to change years of speech patterns in both phrases and voice nuance, but someone has to do it!

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    For myself, I'm not overly fussed about being outed but, my wife works in a very male dominated environment and I don't want to bring problems to her work life. Other than that, I'd happily expose this part of me to the real world and to hell with the conversations behind my back. My femme kit would be much nicer to wear to work than my trousers and shirt routine in Bob mode, plus I'm prettier...I think anyway.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Reality Check
    Going out by myself gets boring after a while but going out with my wife brings the risk of being recognized as some have already posted. Getting out of the house and neighborhood without being recognized is the other issue. When I go out I underdress and change in the car in a parking lot. I reverse the proceedure when comin back home. This could be awkward with my wife in the car.

I suppose I could let her out to go shopping while I change and come back and pick her up and get on with the excursion.