Thread: 2014 - Year of transgender

2014 - Year of transgender

I know that 2014 is not officially over yet, we still have 2 and 1/2 months left of it. But I feel like 2014 has truly been the year that being transgender is finally being brought to the forefront. Here are some of the major advances for the trans community that I have noticed in 2014. Some have been more localized, and some are more nationalized.

1. Laverne Cox and the Transgender Tipping Point.

2. L.A. Pride but the T first and our annual event was the TLGB Pride, which took place in early June.

3. The Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center was renamed the L.A. LGBT Center in late May.

4. The L.A. AA meeting directory used to denote meetings as gay, marked with a "G". The latest meeting directory, which is the June 2014 edition, officially denotes meetings marked with a "G" as "LGBT - Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender." The word transgender is officially part of the Los Angeles AA meeting directory.

5. Amazon Prime aired Transparent - a show about a transgender woman and her family.

If anyone can think of any other major accomplishments for the transgender community that occurred this year, whether it is something that happened in your local area, state, or nationally, please feel free to add them.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

I honestly think that it has been the year of specifically of transsexual issues rather than transgender in general. I think there is still a lot of confusion and hatred to those that identify as transgender. I think there is being more acceptance of individuals who wish to be identified as female, but may have been born as male. This was brought up thanks to the young couple (MtF with a FtM) and Laverne Cox. I personally think Carmen Carrera is beautiful and I envy her looks and find her very attractive, but I think that she sexualizes the entire identity of transgender women. I still think that the stereotype is an over sexualized drag queen or of a butch looking woman. However, this is me trying to always hope for more when there are still hate crimes being commited against TG individuals. I hope that this dramatically decreases versus seeing more TG individuals on TV .
    I think I feel more like Natalie than I do Kat. I think from this point I will go by Natalie.

Part of a recently ended relationship where a reason why it ended was my crossdressing.

The TRANS* PRIDE week in Toronto, millions came to that event, was on the news as well. thought that was interesting to see finally.

I agree, this has been our year, but they will get even better. Never has so much happened to further our visibility, and understanding. I have been asked why suddenly there are so many of us. We have just come out of our shell, and so many more of us are out and proud. Interesting that when I get into a conversation about trans issues of any type, Laverne Cox comes up. She is our best ambassador. We must remember the contributions of Kristin Beck, especially concerning military issues, Janet Mock for her visibility, and great book, and so many others. Over thirty states with legal same sex marriage! Wow! This has been a banner year.

You can also add transgender activist and CA Technologies executive (and Human Rights Campaign Director) Meghan Stabler to that list, who has just been voted Working Mother Magazine's "2014 Working Mother of the Year".

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/15/a_tr...r_of_the_year/

And let's not forget Chazz Bono, who gave a great account of himself on "Dancing with the Stars", Isis King who competed successfully with cis- women on Tyra Banks' "America's Next Top Model" (Cycle 11), and Andrej (now "Andreja") Pejic, who created a sensation when "he" modeled women's clothes for top fashion designers including Jean-Paul Gaultier while still in androgynous "boy" mode.

Then there was Miss Universe Canada contestant Jenna Talackova who stared down Donald Trump to finally be allowed to compete in that pageant a couple of years back, as well as Carmen Carrera of RuPaul's Drag Race fame, and for whom a grass roots movement was started to petition Victoria's Secret to hire her as one of their lingerie models...

i started a thread about jazz jennings last week but felt it was in the wrong category, could fit here, but this will be part of the future,

https://www.google.com/search?q=tran...=jazz+jennings

have followed it for some time, the acceptance she seems to command is inspirational......she is at a crossroad of her life now.....very proud of the family as a whole
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that