Thread: Trials and Tribulations of the Reluctant CD

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar

Trials and Tribulations of the Reluctant CD

For the last few weeks I have gone through what I would not wish on my worst enemy, an extrapolation to the rollercoaster ride that adds to it new dimensions from a new euphoric high to a dark and fearsome nadir.

Now my story does not differ from so many here, dressing as a child, stealing clothing from my sisters and dressing until puberty. This was followed by a hiatus of many decades, no urge, no compulsion from about age 13 to mid-forties. During that time I served in the army in the UK and here in Australia, eventually graduating from the Australian Royal Military College Duntroon in the mid-eighties as a commissioned officer, a Lieutenant in the Military Police.

Struggling through the worst outbreak of peace, I left in the mid-nineties to join the state police. I joined the Navy as a reserve Clearance Diver whilst waiting for the recruitment cycle serving in a Special Forces role serving for another 6 years… The last nearly twenty years have been spent in a law enforcement role, in several departments from the true outback trapping crocs and catching people smugglers to the major cities busting drug smugglers and others crims… I flew helicopters, bow hunted buffalo, dived shark infested waters over WW2 wrecks and so much more... I've really lived the boys own adventure. Stabbed three times and shot twice, I really enjoyed the dangers and excitement of my work. But all the time the gentle gnaw of ‘Donna’ was there, easily denied but there none the less.

About 2 years ago she ‘came out’ with a vengeance… The urge was strong and irresistible and it took only a short time to become enveloped in the pink fog. The conflicts started from those earliest days. Internally I questioned this is not me and what am I doing??? Why do I want to wear a dress, wear a bra, dress as a woman? I hid, I lied, I purged and replaced with alarming frequency. It ended up with me not talking to my wife but also not hiding my clothes whilst still dressing in secret. I let her find them and put it on her to initiate the discussion Once I did start to dress and confront her, I got a string on negative comments along the lines of ‘you look stupid in that!’, ‘you’re too fat’, etc. The bedroom door was my safety net.

Eventually I talked to the wife, discussed what was happening and we developed some boundaries. We discussed the need to communicate truthfully to hold no secrets from each other and to work together… I became so much more comfortable with what I was but with confidence comes the fog again and, amongst other faults I shopped to the extreme… Cue the involuntary purge!!!

Since then we have talked many times, we have discussed, we have argued but we compromised and I thought we had the ground rules developed… (I even ‘came out’ to work, the inevitable consequence of the type of work I do and the clearances I hold). But, and it was my fault, these rules, these ‘nevers’ kept being left in my wake.You know the ones like I never own a wig, I’ll never wear makeup, I’ll never post a picture on line, I’ll never go out dressed…..

I fought such an internal conflict with ‘dressing making me so happy’ versus ‘dressing being so wrong’ with the positive and pleasurable eventually defeating the negative. I wanted to explore the possibilities, to push the envelope and I did with this culminating in the Cross Dressers Ball in August this year. This gave me a whole new perspective…

Since then I had nothing to externally inhibit my dressing, I did what I wanted when I wanted. I went out, I shopped, I dressed in front of the family but I cared little for their concerns. I suppressed the negative feelings I had and enjoyed the positives. When Amanda came to visit I can honestly say I had never been happier, never really enjoyed myself until then. It was a true life changing experience, pure euphoria. However….

What the wife had been reticent to tell me, she readily told my colleagues and friends… The levels of her discomfort were discussed with other before she told me… I did not know this until cornered by ‘friends’ who told me, in no short terms, the concerns my wife had explained to them. What had happened to our talks, out plans to discuss and communicate our concerns? Naturally (for me anyway) I over reacted!!! Boy side took sole ownership. The ‘disgust’ I hold internally over the need to dress came to the fore. I bagged my stuff with the intention to do a 100% purge. I decided there and then that I would never dress again. I even contemplated leaving my wife and family.

I rapidly descended into a dark and self-destructive place. Inanimate objects suffered horrible at my hair trigger temper. I broke a toe kicking a wardrobe, smashed wine bottles (full of wine) and punched holes in plasterboard around my home… I became scary and very unpleasant to be around, but the urge to dress had completely disappeared… OK so I was dangerously suicidal, but….

So finally I had found the cure… All I had to do was become a total arsehole, alienate my family, jeopardise my career, have scant regard for my life and make even my closest friends desert me and I could survive without ‘frocking up’. What a dilemma, what a decision I was presented with …NOT!!!!

I am so grateful for a loving and forgiving family and some truly wonderful friends who have pulled me through… I’m climbing out of the dark and self-destructive death spiral!!! I’m booked in to talk to a psych in a few days and boy do I have lots to talk about. Donna is now back with all she owns hanging proudly in the wardrobe. I want to dress again and I will tonight. I even hugged the wife today for the first time in weeks…

I must admit I’m still conflicted over the need to dress. If there was a cure I’d take it now, a double dose just to be sure, but I am realising the strength of ‘her’ presence… Dressing is my happy place but for deeper psychological reasons that I can explain. I can fight hard, but she fights back harder, so much harder!!! I fear that I stop dressing, I fight the urge and I’ll soon be back in that spiral of self-destruction and incredible negativity. I hope the psych I’m seeing is a good one…

Sure sucks to be me!!!
    Last edited by Donnagirl; 10-20-2014 at 03:26 PM.
    Call me Donna, please

Banned Read only
    Donna, thats quiet a story I'm sorry you've hit a low spot so soon and so hard, after you appeared to have it all sorted !
    One thing that comes through to me is your going through this agony and pain because you value your family, it's the one thing that tears most CDers apart ! Walking away from all that to simply wear a dress and makeup doesn't make sense and yet it won't go away !
    Your comment about it gnawing at you is how it feels ! You appear to be an all or nothing person I guess that's what you have to work on, the saying of everything in moderation is so true but with CDers very hard to control sometimes !

I hope you are on the mend again and no long term harm has come to your family they still need you as much as you need them !

Please take care and don't run up too many repair bills, Teresa.

Aussie girl enjoying life Michelle (Oz)'s Avatar
    Donna, you are very sensible seeking professional help. From personal experience it is critical that your psychologist has good grounding and experience in gender issues.

Years of training to be males and the long term effects of testosterone cannot be undone quickly but over time self acceptance does come. Partly it is the realisation that there is nothing wrong with us that needs fixing (to quote my psychologist). Partly it is the acceptance that we enjoy mixing with the real world. The people we meet are often more accepting of us than we are of ourselves.

I have followed a very different path with my wife than you. My wife does not want to know about my dressing so I am spared the emotional roller coaster that many CDers suffer. The downside is that my best friend is absent from my femme life. I do think that forcing acceptance on our unwilling wives places them in a very difficult position and is often the cause for angst. I have an ex wife in part because of that.

As a result of self acceptance, the joy that dressing brings and the many friendships I as Michelle now have, I can honestly say that I am blessed not cursed by my need to CD. Our journeys have their differences but I can see similarities some 2 years ago. I wish for you the same peace and joy.

Platinum Member
    Donna, it might be a good exercise for you to read through your OPs here. Being a CDr can be a roller coaster ride, and in your case the much of that ride has been well documented. Don't beat yourself up. You, like all of us, are trying your best to get a handle on how to accommodate transgenderism in your life.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Donna....so sorry that you went through that and are still going through it. Yes, it does suck. I have experienced the same emotions and the roller coaster ride that goes through the inevitable trough of despair for many of us here. I experienced the same thing with Erin fighting to get through. For me, she was in there, banging on my brain to be let out, shouting, "I can help...I can help". And only when my heart and head got it together and "let her out" did I turn the corner. Wow, did she help! I calmed down, started to think clearly, was able to catch my breath and stop acting rashly. Yes, our feminine side ( at least for me) is very strong, bent on self preservation, probably from the nurturing side of things??? My therapist has confirmed a lot of this, at least in my case. My therapist strongly believes that after the years that I have known about Erin, (and I have known this therapist for 15 years), she is not going to go away. So for me, my task with my therapist is to find a way to co-exist, to celebrate what Erin brings to the table and find a way to make it work with everything else. Just my story.

Hope your sessions with your therapist go well. Catch your breadth, spend some time with Donna and learn what strengths she brings to you.

Many hugs,

Erin

P.S. also nice to chat with a fellow diver...I am a safety diver, working with local police force when they need my assistance. Also done wreck penetration five decks down in battleships etc all over the world. Good thing Erin likes to dive too!!
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Donna, I'll add my words in support of your decision to see a counselor as you attempt to negotiate these hazard filled waters of transgenderism. It's a totally different side of the personality and different set of needs that is being addressed with the skills you've developed over your adult life. Yeah, it's a mismatch at best and the potential for conflict has been seen full blown. You've proven you are up to the task, regardless of what has been asked, so be ready to learn new skills, new attitudes and new defenses for when your crossdressing is confronted. I wish you the best.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Sounds like you are coming to a better place Donna - i hope your journey continues on a good path

Donna, your back ground is nothing like mine, but what happened to you when you tried to give up dressing, that I can relate to. It was just before my wife was ready to give up on me, because I had become such a bitter depressed and angry person, no one wanted to be around me for long, not even me. I know about those inanimate objects, they can bring out the worst in a guy. I've repaired a few walls in my day, where my fist went through it. I got lucky, finally came out to the wife, and her reaction was, so what. Even with that it took me some time to get used to the fact that I was free to dress a needed, and without any guilt, but when I did, I became the nieces person to be around and I haven't had to patch a wall in years.
    Hope you can have as much success at your house.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Dear Donna - it does sound like you're getting the big highs followed by the big lows - but don't beat yourself up too much... I don't believe there is ANY universal tactic for dealing with how this affects each of us individually - in the same way as other serious things in life (relationships, kids, grief, death, etc...) sometimes we need some well-educated and experienced help to find our way through it... sounds like you're doing the right thing...

You sound a bit like my wife (well - not all the 'Boys Own' stuff... ) - I mean in a way that she never does things by halves... it's all 120% or nothing and woe betide anyone who gets left behind... Sometimes I think some of us find a way to pace things more naturally, and if you could just take your foot off that loud pedal a bit, you might find it a bit easier to go in the right direction... but I can understand how hard that can be if it's just not your nature...

Oh well - chin up! At least you didn't bin everything, and if you must kick something inanimate (preferable over animate! ), make it something soft!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    Donna,

While you and I are certainly very different people, I can relate to what you are going through. I'm not the wall punching sort ... I'm more of a bottler ... instinctively trying to exert control over my feelings by attempting to deny their existence even though all the while they're burning me from the inside out like that acid blood from the Aliens movies.

It's a bizarre experience for sure. All things considered maybe punching walls is a better approach. So there's a silver lining for you, LOL.

I can so relate to the pendulum swing you described. The feeling that your girl side has crossed a line and the boy side needs to "take charge" and purge the girly intrusion. Then the guilt and shame of it all kicks into high gear and you just want to crawl under a rock because ... everything is just wrong and you feel like such an unholy mess. Then eventually the breaking point, and next thing you're in the mirror fixing your wig and make up standing in heels and your favorite dress. It's all skittle farting unicorns and girly rainbows until the critical mass is reached and the cycle begins anew.

Gawd I've been through that cycle of hell so many times I'm just nauseated thinking about it.

thankfully it's been a while. I haven't been to that particular abyss since coming out to my wife. I'm hoping that doing so may have finally broken the cycle for me, but it's still early days for us and it may be too early to declare victory over these demons.

At the very least, know you aren't alone in these feelings. I really hope things get better for you and that your therapist is a big help.

Amy
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    There are some here that think that those of us who have been doing this for decades have all the answers. I'm still taking it one year at a time as is my wife. Sometimes the rules change year to year and sometimes they ride for a few years. As I mature and change so does my wife. Nothing is static. We are all so different that nothing I could suggest would be specific enough to help. The best I can say is that all the girls here are praying for you and hopefully after much soul searching with yourself and your wife you will be able to find a place for your Donna self to coexist. Just know that you are not alone and many others have found an answer as I know you will.

Hi Donna

I too can relate to the swings in behaviour, as have many others. Hindsight is brilliant isn't it,and when I look back over my 60 years, to the boundaries I lived with (and happily too) to how I broke those agreements and pushed and pushed, until my wife, who has been brilliant, could no longer cope with my deceit and abusing her trust makes me want to scream and cry. How stupid we can be and how selfish too.

I can offer you no words of advice just that I, like many on here fully understand how you are feeling and offer my hope that you can find a happy place with your life. If only there was a cure I'm sure many would jump at it, just to stop the internal struggles and mental angst. Good luck and don't neglect to let those who are precious to you know that you love them.

Penny x

Donna, You have experiences in life, that few men or women can imagine! Stabbed three times, and shot twice in police work, makes you a brave hero, probably unsung, too. Only Isha , and some war vets can relate much with what you have been through. The war in my family of origin has not gotten to shooting and stabbing yet! Just mental and emotional abuse. Someone once said, "to be human, is to be in conflict". And, another, Thoreau, "The masses of men lead lives of quiet desperation." A number of us on here know the massive internal battle we have about dressing. Truly torture issues! Religious, and family issues, fear, guilt, confusion, desperation, anger, , and the enjoyment of dressing. I can only applaud you for sharing your struggles, and hope there is a workable relationship with your wife and family. I am single, and never had a wife of kids, and cannot fully understand in that way.

Donna, I'm hoping that things are on the up-swing for you and you can find a balance that will give you some peace. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Hugs, Bria

Donna, hope the counseler helps. Just be honest and tell all.
    You said your family and friends are loving, so that is a BIG positive.
    Be happy either way.
    Big hug.

I have never had wild swings with CDing, like many have talked about. I can only relate to you in that there have been many times in the last 2 years since I have begun to accept this about myself and opened up to my wife. I have had some euphoric feelings of a sort when my wife has been "more accepting" and we have had open discussion about it and there wasn't any feelings from her of being distraught, and she can even sometimes make funny comments or jokes about it. Just a good feeling when I can feel free to be myself.

Then there are other times where, and this happens when driving to work moreso than other times, but not always. I just get a feeling of WTF am I doing? I should just stop all of this. I am not a woman, never going to be one, and don't really want to be one. Sometimes I even get to feeling in a more masculine sense, and wonder why I ever do it at all. All very confusing at times.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

I can relate to your frustrations and wanting to take it out on everything in sight.

I agree with others, that anger management and counseling will be a big help to you.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Donna,

Maybe a little late but I do really hope you can get a handle on this thing, and I hope you have a good psychologist and develop a good relationship with him/her. I'm in a similar situation, in that I'm also seeing a psych and withe that help I believe I'm going to get a better understanding of who I am than I've ever had in my life. And at 57 better late than never.
    This is a weird thing we do, but it's not bad, in itself. Society is pretty funny about gender and appearance, but that doesn't make us less of a person.
    One of the hardest things I think we have to deal with is truly accepting who we are and how we feel, and being brave enough to be honest about it while being considerate of the needs of our loved ones.
    I really wish you luck and hope to hear soon that you are feeling better about things.

Christen x
    “Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing
    and rightdoing there is a field.
    I'll meet you there.” - Rumi.

JEEZ!

I thought I got moody when I can't dress.
    Psyche sounds like a good idea, if only for context.

Bit shit that your wife started telling people without your consent, seems a bit punitive to me.

I wish you the best with your therapy
    Samantha -x-