Thread: BUILDING a better closet

BUILDING a better closet

Somewhat of an issue for many of us, where to keep our wardrobes while perhaps in a DADT situation or with curious children around?

My personal situation has been conveyed before, a wife who is cautiously accepting but decidedly non-participating. She knows exactly where my things are and can access the area any time she wishes. Obviously she chooses not to as she really has no reason, nor does she prefer to see my stuff I'm sure. This area is semi-secure, the master bathroom in our home which was gutted for a major remodel, a plan which was aborted soon thereafter. This became my walk-in closet, protected by a mere pinhole lock that anyone with an ounce of curiosity could gain access to.

Enter my children. Have they gone behind the locked mysterious door? Maybe, maybe not. If I were their age, I'd have entered long ago. But this brings us to the present, time to pay the piper and turn the bathroom back into a bathroom. I'll spend a post or two (or three, or four...depending on interest) as to the design issues I encountered when it came to building a better closet that meets all of our needs. Maybe something in my years of design and months of execution (so far, not quite finished yet) can be of help to someone else in a similar situation.

The given here is the space I had to work with, an 8 foot section near the bathroom which used to have two massive sliding closet doors on it before they were removed in anticipation of bathroom expansion. There really isn't any other option although I explored doing a walk-in closet in this alcove area, something that was soundly vetoed by my wife, and rightfully so.

PART ONE - DOORS

Sliding closet doors don't lock effectively. Part of the reason is that they can be lifted off of their tracks fairly easily, making any lock merely a deterrent rather than something which is secure and effective. The opening of this area is basically 8' by 8' and I explored going with bifold doors as these can be locked. Unfortunately, it was later discovered that these could not be special ordered in such a massive size. One option was to frame the opening smaller to allow for bifold doors but I just wasn't feeling it. Doing so would affect access and layout so I had to find another solution.

I researched locks for pocket doors, thinking that one of those could be applied to my needs. I ended up finding an online company which specializes in funky lock applications and it turned out their store presence was less than 10 miles from where I live. The lock I bought (pictured below) will take some effort to install but I have a plan. It only comes in one configuration but it will work for what I want to do. The locking mechanism will actually hook from the underside, thus making it that much more difficult to remove the door from the track.

As for the actual doors, I opted for a triple door layout on a double track. This means only 1/3 of the closet can be opened at any given time. You'll see the advantage of that in a bit.

The goal here is for the right side of the closet to be "his" and the left side "hers", separated by a closet organizer strategically positioned to separate the two sides completely.

Stay tuned for more!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sara Jessica; 10-21-2014 at 09:15 AM.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Got my carpenter going now, not knowing the total dimensions of the alcove as you call it or the surrounding walls of the opening, my first thought was two pocket doors (42 inch ) with a partition wall down the middle thus giving you more locking options and possibly two walk in's. Guess what I do for as a profession? Good-luck with your project.

Bye-Bye Lisa

PART TWO: LAYOUT

This was the fun part! I picked out a fairly narrow closet organizer (17" wide) which wouldn't take up too much of the 8' I had to work with. I decided to load this up with drawers for a couple reasons. First of all, the organizer has no backing as it is intended to sit against the back wall of the closet. Mine is sitting as far forward as possible to block off the left side when the right is open. The other reason is that having drawers would be perfect for additional storage rather than shelving. Even though the top two drawers will need a step stool to access, I'm really liking the possibilities.

Allowing this to sit forward means there is an empty space behind the organizer. I already had in mind what to do here, a perfect place to stack lots and lots of shoe boxes (filled with shoes, of course). To aid in stability and to further block off the right from the left, I put a tall media shelving unit behind the organizer facing to the right (the guy side). Shoe boxes fit nicely on the left side, I can stack them to the ceiling if I wish!!!

Another important feature is that the closet is fully lined in fresh cedar to help keep the critters from eating my clothes. Shelving is installed on the right side, an identical shelf will be put in this evening on the left. Next comes the hanging bars. I plan on doubling on both ends which will give me about 6' of hanging space on his side and just over 7' on hers (because I offset the drawers a bit towards his side).

I will update further as this is finished up including more discussion about the locking mechanism and of course more pictures.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    I had no idea cedar was a deterrent to critters. Keep us updated Sara Jessica, this is cool!

Banned Read only
    Sara most style of doors can be made to fold as long as you have the right track to take the weight, if they weigh too much a base track can be installed as well !

I knocked a wall a out between two rooms and wanted to put a folding glazed partition in, I couldn't find suitable doors but then found vestibule infill panels were simply narrow doors, four of them made a very succesful partition when glazed with safety glass and fitted to a heavy weight track with inset bottom guide rail. The sun flooded right through the house and yet two rooms were maintained but if required treated as one big one !
    Last edited by Teresa; 10-21-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Sara I know I may be a tad critical but cedar can become overwhelming, it's great for what you want it to do,but maybe a little less, it can encapsulate your clothes over time in an enclosed area I know I have a cedar chest that I keep my sweaters and any wool clothing in.
    Last edited by Allisa; 10-21-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    This is a great thread, Sara. I've got storage issues, and I have this dream of a similar type of space that is spacious and private. We're actually in the process of moving, and we'll either build a new house with specific closet requirements...or look for something that works well for us. Very inspiring!

Great advice Sara! I have 2 little girls who are getting into that age where anything closed is simply an invitation to open it up. I'm sure my wife will also appreciate a little more security when it comes to the feminine portion of my wardrobe.

Alissa you are right on an all cedar closet will cause your clothes to smell of cedar. It depends on the freshness of the lumber. Especially wool and heavier type coats of woolen blend can absorb it but it is a great fetter ant of moths and mice.
    I do like your idea Sara good luck in finishing the project and having your on closet to dress in.

Banned Read only
    The more you make the area forbidding and off limits, the more interest it will generate. I don't know the specifications of your home. I will offer a suggestion for those building new construction. I have a friend who built a hidden room with an entrance at the back of walk in closet. There was no door. Just a wall that could be nudged open. It had a skylight and a window and electricity. It is a room for his weapons.

Platinum Member
    That's an ingenious solution! And very nice carpentry!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Read only
    The only thing that I see missing in the closet is the elevator to the 2nd and 3rd floors. Otherwise good job!

I built a wardrobe in my workshop that is deep enough to place my dresses, skirts and lingerie along with several shelves for my shoes, wigs, undies and hose.

Silver Member
    I know several people who have hidden rooms. My favorite was one that had a shoe rack for the wife that pulled open. It locked with a hidden dead bolt. I'm told that no one ever found it without being shown. It was mounted on a hinge that supported it and the carpenters figured a way to set the base board that was level with the rest in the room.

I think there are several on Pinterest.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I always wondered how Sarah's closet would turn out?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

My closet separator is a suit in a plastic sleeve and on the other side a ong dress in a similar plastic sleeve.

Cedar is replaced by mothballs if considered necessary.

It sure is a nice closet though.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by Feminin Allisa View Post
    Got my carpenter going now, not knowing the total dimensions of the alcove as you call it or the surrounding walls of the opening, my first thought was two pocket doors (42 inch ) with a partition wall down the middle thus giving you more locking options and possibly two walk in's.
    Thanks for the input Lisa. The alcove dimensions aren't so much a concern, it's that the closet doors but up against walls that cannot accommodate pocket doors. But you are right, pocket doors (or even bi-folds) give easier and more secure locking options.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Sara most style of doors can be made to fold as long as you have the right track to take the weight, if they weigh too much a base track can be installed as well !
    Trust me, we looked at about 10 different manufacturers and none would make a bifold door in the size I needed. The difference is that we were looking at closet applications rather than true door applications. Totally different animals. I think using a door application would have been overkill for this project...and it would have been much more pricey. The sliders I bought were much cheaper than what bifolds would have cost me which allowed me to dump more of the remodel budget into the closet organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Feminin Allisa View Post
    Sara I know I may be a tad critical but cedar can become overwhelming, it's great for what you want it to do,but maybe a little less, it can encapsulate your clothes over time in an enclosed area...
    Call me weird but I love the smell of cedar. I also think it is a beautiful design feature regardless of the fact our home isn't particularly rustic in decor. We have another closet in our master bedroom that is massive, easily accommodates two wardrobes (but alas, not a "third") and it is completely lined with cedar. While I may be totally used to the aroma...and perhaps oblivious to it, I have never noticed a cedar smell permeating our clothing. But isn't that the idea? That must be what keeps the critters at bay.

That said, cedar needs to be refreshed or else it loses effectiveness. Case in point, I had four amazing suits on the guy side of my closet which were destroyed by moths within the last couple years. Although I'm moving the guy stuff into the new closet (along with four brand new suits), I will be re-oiling the cedar in the current closet just to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgette Ross View Post
    This is a great thread, Sara. I've got storage issues, and I have this dream of a similar type of space that is spacious and private. We're actually in the process of moving, and we'll either build a new house with specific closet requirements...or look for something that works well for us. Very inspiring!
    Given that you're moving Bridgette, the world is of course your oyster. I had severe space limitations to work with so what I'm sharing is the best I am able to do and I am hoping this offers some practical advice to others, especially if something like this helps to achieve or keep peace in another relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarina Curtis View Post
    Great advice Sara! I have 2 little girls who are getting into that age where anything closed is simply an invitation to open it up. I'm sure my wife will also appreciate a little more security when it comes to the feminine portion of my wardrobe.
    My oldest is in HS, youngest in 4th grade. I have been in their curiosity phase for years and have muddled through the best I am able (the empty bathroom made it way too easy though).

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie47 View Post
    The more you make the area forbidding and off limits, the more interest it will generate.
    No more so than having no locking mechanism at all. That would be guaranteed to be opened with days or weeks of completion and the relocating of my stuff. The lock may generate interest or curiosity but it would take some effort to get through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    My closet separator is a suit in a plastic sleeve and on the other side a ong dress in a similar plastic sleeve.

Cedar is replaced by mothballs if considered necessary.

It sure is a nice closet though.
    I wasn't leaving anything to chance in my design. I created impenetrable separation from right to left. As for mothballs, I'm sure those work great but they would keep me away as well. The smell reminds me of old peoples homes when I was growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    I always wondered how Sarah's closet would turn out?
    You saw the old set-up so you can picture what I have to work with. My space is limited by our floor plan. I'm making the best of it but I think it will work out really well.

I think it was Isha that did a post about a beautiful book shelf that was a secret door to a closet

I envy all of you who have their own closets...

Banned Read only
    I used a kit and extra pieces from John Louis Home. It's solid wood finished in an oak stain. I do confess to modeling the whole thing in 3-D with SolidWorks before I cut anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lacyfem View Post
    I envy all of you who have their own closets...
    You know, I was kind of right there with you.

Many have their own sacred space and that was something I longed for. I went from locking file cabinets and hanging garment bags in my wife's side of the closet (where one of my girls said when she was very young, "wow, what a pretty dress...I've never seen you wear it") to taking over the gutted master bathroom as my own personal walk in closet. That didn't go over very well but it became status quo after a bit, at least until it became time to actually complete the remodel.

Which brings me to where I am now, approaching completion on my own compact, efficient and semi-secure sacred space. I am thrilled to be nearly finished. And like I said, I hope when this thread runs its course that at least one other person out there will see that with a little design effort, their own sacred space can be created.

Now for the last word on "his" side. I spent yesterday evening leveling, plumbing, attaching and securing the shelving & drawers. They don't move now! I also installed the hanging rods. Here is the finished right side (you can't see the drawers this time, those are all "hers"...and stay tuned as "her" side wraps up!

Nice closet Sara

"Her" side is finally secure!!!

Everything in home improvement land takes longer than you can ever anticipate. Add to that a nice bout of the flu last weekend and I didn't get much done.

I did finish sliding lock for the middle door last weekend. This secures the door and cannot be accessed unless the key lock for the third door is unlocked. Installing this sort of lock in application it was meant for would take all of 5 minutes. This one took a couple hours because I had to find a way to extend the lock higher to fill the gap between the top of the door and the track.

Speaking of the keyed lock, this was the crowning jewel of my vision and proved to be rather tricky. The doors have edges that are made of some metal, likely aluminum but it seemed harder when I was grinding it away with a Dremel. This was required because the latch for the lock needed to be fairly close to the edge of the door. Got it done though but it took a bit of ingenuity in that I had to bring the strike plate out a bit closer (thanks to some washers behind it. The lock face itself could stand to be finished off. The cowl that came with it doesn't sit right. I may use just caulk.

I share the pictures to show in detail how this can be done. If anyone needs any specifics or other info, please feel free to ask. That is what this thread is for.

Well, also for me to share what it means to me to FINALLY have my own organized space. I spent an enjoyable couple hours this evening staring the moving in process. The good news, the shoe stack works like a charm (second picture). The bad news, see picture #1!!! Seems a lot of boxes are wider than can fit in the stack. Oh well, I'll figure it out.

I then stocked several of the drawers. One for panties, one for bras, one for nylons (I tend to keep them in their packages), started a shapewear drawer and already had skincare in the second from the top. Makeup will go in the top drawer. Finally, I moved in my dresses. I set the top shelf a bit higher to gain a few more inches of hanging space. Unsure if I'll need a lower bar. I'll probably install it tomorrow just because I already have it and even if I don't use all of it, it'll be nice to have.

Needless to say, I'm thrilled. This arises out of making the best out of my own situation and respecting my wife in the process. Now I'll have to see if everything fits!!!