Thread: RLE Explosion - Big Bad Con

Wink RLE Explosion - Big Bad Con

I am really into roleplaying games played on a tabletop with paper, pens, and dice. The classic example is Dungeons and Dragons, but the hobby has expanded greatly since the 70s and now there are all kinds of games from sci fi to paranormal romance. Each year I attend several conventions where hundreds of gamers get together and play registered games throughout the hotel, mostly in private rooms, but sometimes in larger rooms with multiple tables set up.

This last weekend was Big Bad Con, which is actually a cool little con with about 400 people, focused more on independent and story-emphasizing games over mainstream, combat-heavy games. One of the major events is the Big Bad GM (Game Master) competition, where 4 GMs each get 4 players and 3 ingredients (genre, setting, antagonist) and 4 hours to create and run a complete game from scratch. I competed last year and narrowly lost.

This year, I went as my true self, for the entire convention. This meant interacting with dozens and dozens of people, some of whom I've known for years. It meant sitting as a table as a player with half a dozen people for 4-6 hours at a time. It meant running games for such a group as the GM (facilitator), as a trans woman.

I was so afraid. I can't exactly explain why I felt the need to go and do this. Well, I know why. Because I am a woman and a gamer and a rocker. This is what I do.

Oh, and also, I won the competition. Bry Hitchcock, trans woman, is the Big Bad GM for 2014! This meant showing up at 9 am to a room with 30 people. It was nerve wracking, but ok. Everyone was cool!

Everywhere I went, I found nothing but acceptance. There were even a few other trans people there, among them, the game designer Avery McDaldno, whose game Monsterhearts is a huge hit.

On Friday night, I played in a heavy metal themed game. I went in my metal t-shirt, fashionably chopped up to a more feminine style, a long goth skirt, my wig, and makeup. I talked with the GM ahead of time and he was totally cool. Everyone at the table treated me like the middle-aged rocking gamer lady I really am.

I know the rest of the world will not necessarily welcome me so well, but this was a truly amazing experience. I was so afraid, but the community reaction surpassed my expectations. I have way more friends and contacts in social media than I had before. Everyone was very encouraging. I am so glad to live in the California Bay Area and be part of such a creative, open minded community of people.

It was more than a little rash to do this. There are pictures now on the internet of me en femme. But you know what? I don't care. I am not connected to work via social media. My wife accepts me. The friends and community I love accepts me. The rest I will work on another day.

Thank you to all who have given me advice and encouragement here. This road would be much harder without the wisdom of this community, even if I choose to go do crazy stuff.

Hugs!

Bry
    Last edited by Nigella; 10-21-2014 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Please don't circumvent the word filter
    I'm through accepting limits
    'Cause someone says they're so
    Some things I cannot change
    But 'til I try, I'll never know!
    - Defying Gravity from Wicked

Banned Read only
    If it wasn't for those who dare, who would do all the crazy stuff in this world? I am glad to hear you are getting out into the world and interacting with others, doing what you normally do. This will help you in the long run. It may seem crazy now but it will become normal the more you do these things. Soon there will be nothing except opportunity standing in your way.

Gold Member
    I am with Jorja. I am very thankful that I got out and about long before transition and did it regularly. It probably dialed down my stress a lot. I was a D&D'er back when I actually had free time. I can't imagine it with quite the crowd. But you just went out and normalized it for all those attending and made it better for each of us. Congratulations on the win!

*preface to my comment: My observations are my opinions, I did not ask people their gender preferences or relationships to those they were talking to*

When I was standing in the customer service line at GenCon this year (perhaps 30 people) there was a transgender woman with her son as well as a crossdressed (in normal clothes, not a costume) guy with his buddies. Nobody was paying any attention to them at all. I think gamers (at least real-life not online) are a pretty accepting lot.

I'm a long time gamer myself.
    Congratulations on the Big Bad GM award! Sounds like you had lots of fun as well as acceptance.