Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why don't women wear dresses? Why don't men wear suits?

Wilde, we can "compete" for men without getting all dressed up.

Seriously, college girls during the 1960s (the generation that was largely responsible for changing everything), dressed casually compared to women a decade earlier. They managed to look very sexy in tie-die Tshirts, peasant blouses, jeans, flowers in their hair, etc, and the guys of that generation were attracted to them.
    Reine

Platinum Member
    Before I retired I worked in a government office. The employees were supposed professionals. We interacted on a daily basis with businessmen and businesswomen, attorneys, and CPA's and others. When I first started working there it was guys in a bare minimum of dress slacks, shirts and ties. In the field it was suits or sport jackets. Women wore dresses and skirts/blouses. By the time I retired I was still wearing the same garb. However, the new employees dressed like total slobs. Women sometimes wore sweat suits and sweat pants, capri pants with sandals, all while meeting with the same professional people. Many times the clients assumed I was the office manager because I was professionally attired. In the end I was so happy to get out of that environment. They were a total embarrassment to the government.

If I am going to interact with the public, friends or family I will dress appropriately for the occasion and NOT embarrassment myself or the others around me.

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    "Dressing professionally"

I've helped bring in tens of millions in R&D contract wins, and racked up nine patents and an employer that worships me, all while wearing blue jeans and casual polo shirts. Some of the work was done telecommuting in my underwear or lingerie. Some particular configuration of fabric dictated by the current fashion paradigm as "professional" had absolutely boo to do with any of these accomplishments.

The people who created and drove the technological revolution were often casual dressers. Where were all the suits? Oh, they were over in the financial sector cratering the economy with ever more exotic and leveraged investment vehicles and paying off the other suits in government to legislate more nonsense.

Suits... Feh...
    Last edited by Maria Blackwood; 10-24-2014 at 02:40 AM.

can't STAND suits!

and what the heck is the point of a tie?

honestly now!

ties are so stupid!

I don't have a male suit at the moment but I have a few skirt suits which I love wearing.

I'm an engineer who seldom wears more than shorts sandals and a tshirt when I have to go into the office. I do however take the opportunity to wear a suit whenever I can. I love the fit the clean defined look and the fact that it turns my wife on.
    My wife wears yogas all the time and occasionally will wear a dress or skirt. Mainly when we go out and I'm suited cause she says I make her look frumpy when I'm dressed and she's not.

Men look good in nice suits. I've noticed that women are attracted to men in suits too. Probably because it conveys an image of a successful professional (even though that may be completely wrong!).
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Women don't wear dresses because: 1. They don't feel that people take them seriously enough if they present as sexually attractive, 2. They don't like the body hugging fit, 3. They don't like worrying about exposing themselves 'below', and with common plunging necklines, above as well, and all the wardrobe maintenence that goes with it, including the additional jewelry they feel pressured to pick out to go with it, 4. They don't like spending a fortune on stockings/pantyhose, 5. They don't like pulling said stockings/pantyhose up all day, 6. Women already complain about being cold more often than men, and skirts/dresses are simply more drafty than pants, 7. They don't like having to deal with unwanted sexual attention and the harrassment that goes with it, etc.. I could go on, but you already get the idea. Pants are more practical 99% of the time. The only time a dress or skirt has an advantage is when a woman is trying to attract a man, or in extremely warm temperature situations.

Men. Men don't wear suits: 1. Because they're expensive, and decent ones require dry cleaning, 2. We're a fat society, and wearing several layers is too hot, 3. Fewer have office jobs that require wearing a suit, 4. Our bosses don't wear them as much, so neither do we, 5. We're lazy, 6. We're stupid, 7. Men have absolutey no idea about fashion, and no concept that a guy in a nice suit is far more attractive to women than the same man in a polo shirt and khaki's, 8. We're slobs. Look around. Consider that even the lowest, worst looking males, have sunk to new lows: The rapper emulater, the guy with the backwards baseball cap, the giant cheap clock around his neck or cheap giant watch if he even has one, the oversize t shirt which, even when small size, says XXL on it because he's so insecure that he has to fake his clothing size, the filthy sneakers that have untied laces, and last but not least, the filthy, smelly trousers falling off his ass and uncoordinated underwear barely covering the crack in his ass. And the bizarre fact that a huge percentage of kids want to emulate that last example, rather than look like a successful businessman.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 10-24-2014 at 10:25 AM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Quote Originally Posted by Ressie View Post
    Men look good in nice suits. I've noticed that women are attracted to men in suits too. Probably because it conveys an image of a successful professional (even though that may be completely wrong!).
    It's a textbook case of cultural conditioning. Gender normative groupthink and conformity.
    Last edited by Maria Blackwood; 10-24-2014 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    Women don't wear dresses because...
    And a man can state these "reasons" as if they're fact because???
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

I too like to look the part as is needed - if it calls for a suit, than I am more than happy to wear one- I only have to wear office wear and dressing up is great for me and my wife too, likes when I do- when we have the opportunity to go all out. I believe women don't wear dresses because of the women's lib thing- the opposite sex wants to be more like the opposite sex. And that is probably one of the reasons I wear lingerie when I dress- I wish my wife would more often - I buy it for her and compliment her on it, but she mostly likes the casual look. I try to exude femme- Gina loves pearls, hose, lace, gossamer, silk, corsets, heels, and doesn't dress any other way- as if that is how women should dress, and if given the opportunity in the real world, would only be seen in smart dresses. As the man, as must be, I am all too happy to dress in ties and suits when ever I can.
    It would all be so simple if we could live our insides on the outside

Women don't wear dresses and men don't wear suits?
    Looking around me today at work (and it wasn't particularly warm) I saw several women of various ages (18 upwards) wearing dresses of various lengths (none longer than calf-length). Plenty of women wearing jeans / trousers too.
    I also saw plenty of men wearing some variation on a suit & tie and lots wearing polo shirt & jeans.

This 'girl' actually prefers skirts to dresses - mostly because I find that tops & skirts fit better. And in male mode, at work I'm a suit-wearer while at home it's polo shirts and jeans.

I think that much depends on where you live!

Pantyhose for everyone! Jennifer_Ph's Avatar
    I'd wear skirts, hose, and heels 24/7 if possible. Well, not when I'm in the barn and working on my truck and or welding... but damn it'd be nice to come to work in clothing I truly find comfortable. Sometimes it's not practical, sure. But when it is, I wish I had the damned OPTION.
    xxoo
    Jennifer

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer_Ph View Post
    I'd wear skirts, hose, and heels 24/7 if possible. Well, not when I'm in the barn and working on my truck and or welding... but damn it'd be nice to come to work in clothing I truly find comfortable. Sometimes it's not practical, sure. But when it is, I wish I had the damned OPTION.
    I'm with you on this, Jennifer.

I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    And a man can state these "reasons" as if they're fact because???
    Because I work with a staff of 95% women. I get to hear lots of things most men don't; some that I want to know, and others that I'd prefer I'd never known. Take that any way you'd like it. Everything you read, that I wrote here has come out of the mouth of a woman at least once, some, hundreds of times, and that's only the times that I've heard it.

How about the reverse? YOU can state that they're all false because??
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Because I work with a staff of 95% women. I get to hear lots of things most men don't; some that I want to know, and others that I'd prefer I'd never known.
    I know. That whole thing with the dimensional parasites and the Moon Treaty of 1905? *shudder*

ow about the reverse? YOU can state that they're all false because??
    I never said any of those were false. Only questioned your "sources".

Seriously, most women I have ever known revel in their fashion choices. There are times and places for dresses, heels, hose, etc. and there are (more) times and places for casual. Casual doesn't have to mean sloppy.

I'm not totally buying what you're saying because...

1) At least a couple of the categories have sexuality at their base. I know plenty of married women, some of whom are very capable of being wonderfully provocative in their style. Yet they're secure in their marriages so that they dress HOW THEY WANT rather than worrying about what some hormone-drenched male might think.

It has been said that many women when going out with a group will dress for one another. I totally get that. When I go out with my friends, I am not concerned in the least bit with what any guy would think. Instead, I want my friends to think that I am well put together and utterly stylish. The fact that I love my look is most of the battle, if I get a boatload of compliments, that's simply icing on the cake.

2) There are a lot of dresses out there which are plenty practical. Nothing like tossing on a comfy dress or skirt to go about one's business. Women here in SoCal do that all the time. I don't think they'd do so if they felt they were at some sort of a disadvantage.

3) Hosiery isn't even part of the equation. They wear it if they particularly like it (few do) or need to wear it for whatever reason. Otherwise, bare legs rule the day and aside from tights in the wintertime, nothing is really going to change that any time soon.

So I guess while I'm not saying any of what you said is patently false, I do disagree with most of it...based on my own observations here in the land of the most beautiful women on the planet.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Platinum Member
    Hi Liz, In fashion trends if you wait long enough, What goes around comes around
    the younger generation will someday find all those pretty things.

Until then we must keep the trend alive.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Silver Member
    I started this thread because I read so many here and else where men lamented about women not wearing the fashions of the bygone years. They didn't indicated they wore suits to encourage the women.

Many things contribute to changes in style. I can remember when men wore hats. Today its caps except for cowboys for the most part. Suits didn't make you a better engineer or smarter. I wore suits both men and women's at one time in my life. I've been through the fashions from the 50s to today. Today I wear casual clothes 99% of the time to match my life style. I prefer casual. My wife worked in an environment where women wore suits and hose were not optional. A casual day was a dress. If you watch The Good Wife you will notice the dress code still in effect today.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Hasn't this subject been beaten like a dead horse long enough?
    Come on times change and styles change its part of life.
    Don't get me wrong I love the styles of the 40"s and 50"s for both men and women but it is 2014 things are different get over it and move on.
    What good does it do to piss and moan over something like this?

If you like the style then by all means wear it but don't be surprised if you can't find that style in a clothing store.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 10-26-2014 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Um, fun?

Banned Read only
    Liz I posted a thread a while ago titled , " Only one wearing a skirt, must be a CDer !"
    I like the way MelanieAnne sums it up !
    Even when you attend fairly formal functions nowdays men don't always wear ties, even try and dress jeans up with a suit jacket ! To me a complete contradiction ! Your comments come from our age bracket when women dressed like women ! As CDers from the era we loved the look and the femininity ! Full skirts, petticoats and stylish heels !!

The irony of this thread is that lately I've noticed a considerable increase in the number of women wearing skirts and dresses compared to previous years. It's noticeable on the school run and the drive through the city where you see the same faces daily and many only appear to wear skirts/dresses. Of course I live in Ireland so there's the European influence. But to me skirts are back. The irony is that I don't own one myself. A situation I really should rectify.

As for suits. I hate them and always feel awkward and conspicuous when wearing one. It's like.....well like crossdressing in public.
    Last edited by mariehart; 10-26-2014 at 04:36 AM.

Silver Member
    It depends on your perspective. I don't like wearing a man's suit and only do so when I am forced to. I wear a dress (or a ladies skirt suit) because I like them and I choose to wear one. I wear what I like and brings me pleasure, and don't want to wear anything that I don't like. To be honest, I really don't like pants at all and would be happier in a skirt all of the time... maybe not heels 24/7, but I could certainly live in a skirt or a dress all of the time.

Personally, I can do everything I need to do in my life in a skirt, at least in one calf length or longer (when you have to constantly move around in a chair and lean over someone for hours and hours at a time it really is more comfortable to be in a skirt with nothing in the middle cutting into you!)

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Hasn't this subject been beaten like a dead horse long enough?
    Yes. But some people love to complain, and some love to debate already decided matters. I answered a question and got an argument. Some people like to argue. Takes all kinds to make a world.
    None whatsoever. But allowing those who are upset to vent, DOES help everyone else who has to live with them!