Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why don't women wear dresses? Why don't men wear suits?

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    Yes. But some people love to complain, and some love to debate already decided matters. I answered a question and got an argument. Some people like to argue.
    Ummmm, no.

Is it decided that a man has the insight to state categorically why women don't prefer to wear dresses like many in these pages wish they would? I don't think so. You clarified later that your comments were based on anecdotal evidence from your own world but your original message came across as gospel and I call it out.

Nor is anything decided when we keep getting comments such as...

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Your comments come from our age bracket when women dressed like women !
    I mean, really? This is low hanging fruit. What do women dress like now? Let me guess...MEN???

I must live in a really lucky corner of this world because what many here piss and moan about is not evident in SoCal. Women dress for their busy lifestyles as well as for time/place/event/weather. They don't have to pander dreams of fashions from times gone bye-bye forever. Elements of styles may come and go but the days of women and men dressing to the nines for simple things such as airplane flights or going to the movies are never returning.

And I do have to say that while this thread is yet another way to spin a cat, OP presented it in a very nice manner in that she put the shoe on the other foot, if one laments for those styles, is your guy-self willing to wear a suit? It'd be pretty hypocritical for a guy whose standard wardrobe is jeans and Chicago Bears sweatshirt to expect his SO to always dress to the nines around him. But as I said early on, it didn't take long for the "women dress like men" opinion to invade. I guess this is an opinion that will never evolve.

Sigh.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

women wear dresses all the time. also I don't see a lot of mean wearing leggings ...

Women do dress like women for crying out loud, they just don't dress to please crossdressers

I have no suits, but many dresses. One time my wife asked me{jokingly} what are u going to be burried in? You dont have any suits!

dont know

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Because I work with a staff of 95% women. I get to hear lots of things most men don't; some that I want to know, and others that I'd prefer I'd never known. Take that any way you'd like it. Everything you read, that I wrote here has come out of the mouth of a woman at least once, some, hundreds of times, and that's only the times that I've heard it.
    You are so lucky that you get to know what women think and why they do what they do; how fortunate for you to be able to be so knowledgeable. I mean if you have overheard it from the women at your job, then wow, it must be true. I am jealous.

Aspiring Member
    In the immortal words of Pogo, the cartoon philosopher, "We have met the enemy and they are us!" This discussion reminds me of a conversation that I overheard in the Boise, Idaho, airport a few years ago. Two guys were having a conversation at the baggage carousel. One of them lamented that women did not get dressed up to fly on the airlines anymore. His friend expressed similar disappointment. I looked their way to see two stocky forty-something fellows who were dressed, shall I say, rough even for the wilderness. I thought, "Guys, you need look no further than the nearest mirror for an answer to your complaint."

I do not like wearing suits or dressing as handsome man in a shirt and tie even thou i have been told i look very nice the few times i have.I just rather dress in my jeans and t shirts when im in guy mode because it is way more comfortable to me . Maybe when some women have to dress up they feel the same way and just do not like it or really have no reason to
    I have a hubcap diamond star halo

Women don't wear dresses because: 1. They don't feel that people take them seriously enough if they present as sexually attractive, 2. They don't like the body hugging fit, 3. They don't like worrying about exposing themselves 'below', and with common plunging necklines, above as well, and all the wardrobe maintenence that goes with it, including the additional jewelry they feel pressured to pick out to go with it, 4. They don't like spending a fortune on stockings/pantyhose, 5. They don't like pulling said stockings/pantyhose up all day, 6. Women already complain about being cold more often than men, and skirts/dresses are simply more drafty than pants, 7. They don't like having to deal with unwanted sexual attention and the harrassment that goes with it, etc.. I could go on, but you already get the idea. Pants are more practical 99% of the time. The only time a dress or skirt has an advantage is when a woman is trying to attract a man, or in extremely warm temperature situations.
    1. It's true that we are taken more seriously at work when we don't emphasize cleavage, etc. This is true of men too. I don't see too many business men wearing muscle shirts. lol. What's important at work is obviously the business at hand, and any clothing that distracts from that is not desirable. That said, many men and women don't work in the types of jobs where looking a certain way is important so the constraints don't apply to them. Also, people can dress how they please when they are not working. I'm sure there are successful business women who know how to dress to the nines when they are out socially, when dressing up is called for.

2. Your statement is too narrow. Women with good bodies are apt to show them off more than women who aren't in as good shape. But age and context are important too, see above.

3. Nonsense. If a woman wants to deck herself out, she will. Not at work so much, but socially. And again it's about context. A younger woman who goes out of the town a lot will dress for the occasion, including jewelry. Where did you get the idea that women don't like jewelry? I live in a college town and the girls who are out dancing on the weekend don't mind showing off their legs, cleavage, etc.

4. Again, your statement is way too narrow. If a woman wants to dress, then I'm sure she will find $5 for a pair of pantyhose.

5. Nope. This might be true if you spoke to one woman at your work whose pantyhose keep falling off, but when I wear pantyhose I don't feel them. They don't ride down any more than my underwear does. lol.

6. CONTEXT! It's not cold in the summer and lots of women wear skirts, maxi-dresses, etc.

7. Please. If a woman is in the market, she will appreciate being noticed if she puts some effort into her presentation. I'm not in the market for anyone but I enjoy compliments or appreciative glances when I get them. True, no one likes jerks, but these type of men are not the norm. Most guys are decent.
    Reine

I see a number of older women wearing dresses in church and at concerts but most wear slacks or skirts. I love wearing dresses but usually wear a blouse or sweater with a skirt.

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine Spirit View Post
    You are so lucky that you get to know what women think and why they do what they do; how fortunate for you to be able to be so knowledgeable. I mean if you have overheard it from the women at your job, then wow, it must be true. I am jealous.
    I felt a ripple in the force... As if someone were using... sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    You clarified later that your comments were based on anecdotal evidence from your own world but your original message came across as gospel and I call it out.
    The OP posted this thread as a question. I answered it. If you think that every answer to a question should be qualified with a 'sometimes' or a 'some' or 'most', you're crazy, because there is simply no way to know why the population does what they do unless you ask every single one of them...which you are free to do, and then post your results to debate my statement. Until then, I will stand by the reasons that I have heard real, actual women say out loud to each other. And you are free to quote the women that you have discussed this with as well. But please don't try to tell me that I've not heard what I clearly have heard from the mouths of real, actual living women. Because that's simply being needlessly argumentitive.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Quote Originally Posted by lingerieLiz View Post
    So today I was watching a documentary from back in the 50s. Yep, all the women wear wearing dresses. For the most part they were slim and were wearing long skirts while the younger girls were wearing petticoats under theirs. Reminded me of my youth. I could remember the layers of the petticoats and letting the right amount of lace to show under your skirt. I digress!

While the women were dressed as most of us here on this forum would like it if all women wore dresses, I suddenly thought look all the men have on suits and ties. I know that I have not worn a suit in probably 3 years and seldom a sport coat. Ties are seldom seen except for regimented sales offices.

If you want women to wear dresses do you wear a suit and tie in guy mode? If not why not? Women like guys in suits. Or so I've been told by several who complain that their husbands never dress up.
    To your point, in the town hall of Ocean City, MD, there are a number of large photos on the wall, of Ocean City's Boardwalk taken in July 1948. Just as you say, all of the women were wearing dresses or skirts, heels and nylons and the men were not only wearing suits and ties, but also hats. And July in 1948 was probably as hot and oppressive in OC as it usually is now.
    Shame on those who think ill of us -- Translated and paraphrased from the motto of the United Kingdom's Most Noble Order of the Garter

New Girl On The Block NikkiBeth's Avatar
    When I left the corporate world, and entered the world of entrepreneurship , I decided to hang up my suits and ties, especially my ties, occasionally I will wear a suit sans tie. My typical business meeting attire is jeans, and blazer. As far as women wearing dresses, from what I gather from my wife, its because its too much work to get dressed up in stockings, heels and makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mink View Post
    ...and what the heck is the point of a tie?...honestly now!...ties are so stupid!
    I worked in the office for a manufacturer of "big metal things", with all the huge machinery required. I saw a show on TV about a woman working in a similar place who had her hair and scalp ripped off after it was caught in a machine. Our plant supervisors were required to wear white shirts and ties. I asked the plant manager about this, and he said it was so the supervisors are recognizable, should one be needed. I suggested that a red baseball cap would be more recognizable and safer, and he said: long ago, my boss called me into the office, reached into a desk drawer, and tossed me a tie, saying "you're a supervisor now. I associate the tie with the job."

As others have said: cultural conditioning, even in the absence of reason.

I agree with you, Mink, and I hate ties and suits, but I have one in the back of my closet for funerals. Even the dress code for those are eroding, so I'll make sure I have shorts and flip-flops if needed, so I don't stand out. haha