Thread: Suicide awareness...

Suicide awareness...

All, I have recently started a new FB page... dedicated to suicide awareness. Many of our sisters fight with this every day and many have given up on the fight. Lets talk about it. Please Like and share, SucideKills1 on facebook.

I'm surprised at how quickly this thread left the top of the list, sure people glanced at it, but did anybody read it? nobody made any comments, and there definitely haven't been any new likes on the page. This is one of the reasons it is such a problem... its a taboo topic, nobody wants to talk about it,

So I'll start...

I have had 8 close friends successfully commit suicide in less years, I'm sure there are others that have considered it including my 11 year old son. I want everybody to know you are not alone! talk to somebody... even me.

Please Like and share, SucideKills1 on facebook.
    Last edited by Shelly Preston; 10-22-2014 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Merged- please use the edit button
    Life is short be sexy every chance you get!!!

I think anyone who has been around the community for any lenght of time is aware that we are in a high risk group

I just we can all reach out to those in need.

There is no doubt we will all do what we can to help.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Maybe the problem is that because it is on Facebook and if the cd is not out then if they hit the like button it will out them or send that you like this to many of their friends.

I've had two family friends decide to end their lives, and I've had my time drowning in the darkness....

I don't use Facebook any longer, so I can't like your page. Though suicide awareness is a very important topic.

Just Roll With It

This is the closest form of social media I have undertaken since myspace faded away. Suicide is a long term solution to a short term problem is a quote I recently heard and although I heard it on Coast to Coast, it did seem to strike a chord with me. It does seem simple enough but having dealt with vast states of depression in my familys life I know it is not as simple as a catchy one liner. But it does give a sense of the magnitude a choice for change can make.

suicidekills1 has nothing to do with crossdressing or LBGT it is very specifically about suicide awareness, I just wanted to get it out there for our little community here, I have 2 facebook pages... 1 masculine and 1 Fem... because I'm not out except to a very select few... there are no friends that are on both accounts.

I just wanted to provide an additional resource for people who may need help. @Kaze_ thank you for shareing... if you ever need anybody to talk to feel free to pm me or contact me via yahoo messenger.

jordyn
    Thank you for your efforts in this area. In several surveys of transgender (cross-dressers and transsexuals) the number who had actually attempted suicide more than once was so shocking that many professionals challenged the findings. Eventually a survey produced 9 million respondents - which was surprising in itself. Over half had attempted suicide at least once prior to age 30.

Because of cyber-bullying, police now investigate all suicides for indications of bullying or cyber-bullying. They have discovered that half of all male suicides are boys who are gay, bisexual, or transgender and have been involuntarily outed and rejected by friends, family, or lovers.

This is very relevant to our community.
    Last edited by DebbieL; 10-22-2014 at 05:05 PM.
    Facebook - Debbie Lawrence
    Web - [URL="http://www.debbieballard.org"]DebbieBallard.org{/URL]
    See also:
    Open4Success

I have come across people, some on this forum also.

I have always preached hope and encouragement.
    Life is too precious to lose.

Times and situations change all the time and what is despair now, changes very quickly.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Thank you for posting this and for hosting the Facebook page. At the ripe old age of 31, I already have 3 close friends burials under my belt. One of them was a confirmed suicide, another a suspected suicide, and the third was an unfortunate accident. Though none of the suicides (or suspected suicides) was TG related, at least as far as anyone knows or suspects, they had a profound effect on me and the others who were in their lives. I have always had many acquaintances, but very few friends, and I try to let those few friends know that whatever it is that's bothering them; they can talk to me about. Sadly, sometimes the message doesn't reach them. My heart goes out to everyone who has ever been left with the hole that is created when someone you care about ends their own life. Any and all efforts to prevent suicide get my nod of approval.

Aspiring Member
    I know that I have seriously considered taking my own life but thankfully didn't have the courage to go through with it

Raising awareness means also not covering up the truth. A big part of the picture is that low-fat diet and anti-depressant medications, both only around since about the 80s, play a big part in the increasing rates of suicide. When the body and brain are starving for natural fats, depression is a common result.
    Last edited by LelaK; 10-22-2014 at 09:30 PM.
    T-shirt says: "Hi, I Crossdress!"

I think that something like 41% of all TG people have at one time experienced suicide ideation, the highest percentage of all groups of people. That's almost 1 of every 2 transgender persons contemplating suicide at one time or another. I have had that ideation 3 times in my life. The last being just 2 months ago, triggered by the death of Robin Williams. I think that most us who have been through it recently, or going through it at the moment are very fearful of talking about it, or owning up to it because we worry about being provoked/ triggered into a suicide attempt. It's the very worst situation for anyone to go through and very disturbing. It was hell going through it and a struggle to get out. In order to get into recovery I had to listen and RESPECT my innermost thoughts, release my inner anger as well as make changes in my life that are still in affect today.

Banned Read only
    Jordyn,
    Twenty years ago the feelings of rejection and not being loved took me very close to carrying it through !
    It wasn't preplanned I just had had enough one morning and sat at a busy road junction for a lorry to pass, in that split second my foot moved from brake to accelerator knowing the lorry couldn't stop in time ! A voice came to me almost shouting and calling me a selfish b******* ! How is that driver going to live with your death ! It wasn't the selfish act I was inflicting on my family that stopped me but what it would do someone else's family !
    The annoying point at the moment is my wife knows what happened, we have talked about my CDing but she doesn't realise that not putting all the cards on the table is pushing me to some difficult decisions soon ! I really don't want to go down the road of twenty years ago again !

Thank you everybody for responding, I was really concerned at first with the lack of response, because this is such an important topic... I have been lucky in the fact that even in my lowest of lows I'm still able to see the silver lining. I just hope that I'm able to show somebody else the light.

Hi Jordyn, my sister wasn't feeling well and came home about half-an-hour before I would have died from an overdose. I can't say that CD was a big part of the mix behind my attempt, but I'm sure transgender problems were in there somewhere. Thanks for starting the fb page. By whatever means, if it gets one person to not take their life, then it's a good thing. The almost universal response to finding out a person has made an attempt to die is 'Not you!' There are people all around you fighting a battle you know nothing about. The most revealing reaction for me is finding out that nearly everyone has said 'You make such a difference in my life. I couldn't imagine what it be like without you.'

I find we tend to split a lot of fine hair here on our site. The big picture can get obscured. Regardless of our self-defined orientations, depression is a crushing illness. I could not pass up the opportunity to tell everyone here to find help. It's there and it can save your life. Thanks for letting me spill my guts.

Marsha

Quote Originally Posted by LelaK View Post
    Raising awareness means also not covering up the truth. A big part of the picture is that low-fat diet and anti-depressant medications, both only around since about the 80s, play a big part in the increasing rates of suicide. When the body and brain are starving for natural fats, depression is a common result.
    Another part seems to be the 'everyone's a winner' childhood that started back then too. I see a lot of people who are very depressed because of simple situations which were considered normal when I was growing up. The huge percentage of people who believe they can really go to any school they want to no matter what the cost, that everyone gets to have a job they love to do, get promoted quickly and have the corner office, have a wonderful, beautiful/handsome SO that treats them great all the time, the huge sense of entitlement they feel and when none of that miraculously materializes, they get depressed and don't know what to do, because growing up, they never had to deal with dissapointment, mom and dad were always hovering around to make things better. And it seems no one has learned; the helicoptor parent is more prevelant than ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleca View Post
    I think that something like 41% of all TG people have at one time experienced suicide ideation, the highest percentage of all groups of people. That's almost 1 of every 2 transgender persons contemplating suicide at one time or another.
    I have to wonder how much of that is also because of unreal expectations. Loneliness is a killer; but there's no answer for it, and a complete lack of physical affection can drive you insane, thinking up all kinds of bizarre ideas that don't correspond to reality. On one hand, you have people telling us to just 'be ourselves' and 'there's someone for everyone' out there. But it turns out, it's not true. Our friends will lie to us, with the best intentions, trying to make us feel better, rather than help us deal with reality. On the other hand, we have reality; that the world is a cold, unfriendly place, and that the older we get, the chances of meeting someone compatible get exponentially more remote. Neither side is a bright sunny world where everything works out just the way we want it to in the space of a 30 minute sit-com like on TV.

And, of course, there's always the big one. The real reason that so many wind up commiting suicide, and I have no answer for it. Life is hard. It's difficult. Every one of us is dealing with problems every day, the same problems that the suicidal people have. And the vast majority of us deal with it. We don't kill ourselves. We go to work every day, come home, and deal with more problems and want to know why we should take time our of our own meager existance to go cheer up someone who's life is already several levels better than ours? Exactly how do I do that with a straight face?
    I don't know the answer to that one.
    And of course, last but not least. All the people who support the concept of suicide prevention, but want someone else to do the hard part. Through the years, I remember quite a number of people who commited suicide; anyone who works with people will understand that. Yet, in most cases, we recognised that these people were unhappy with their lives. But no one wanted to spend their lives holding the hand of a depressed person, cuddling them and constantly reassuring them that everythings wind up wonderful in their lives, because that's what they want to hear. That's what mommies are for. And there simply aren't enough mommies to go around. If you really want to combat suicide, then you're going to have to give up a big chunk of your live to someone else, not just be there to talk for a 50 minute session once in a while, because that's not what the suicidal person wants. And if they don't get what they want, then they will remain suicidal. Because in reality, it's up to the individual to come to terms with their own life.
    How do I know. Because I've been there. Once upon a time, in my teens, when I saw absolutely no answer to the pain I felt, the loneliness, the desperation, I saw death as the only end to the misery I was going through. But I beat it. To this day, without knowing if there's any solution to the problems I face, I persevere. And I beat it. And it's hard. Life is very, very hard, and for the transgendered, it's harder than if you're not. But it's still easier than dodging bullets and bombs on a daily basis.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Banned Read only
    S-M,
    You're so right about them wanting their mommies ! My brother in law is a manic depressive he had everyone mothering him, he cried on everyone shoulders and was well enough off to trawl the country trying different therapists !
    I was going through my bad patch and could barely afford therapy and because it was related to my CDing couldn't talk openly about what was causing my depression.
    Somedays he would turn up an our doorstep and go to bed in one of our spare bedrooms or sit and condemn the therapists for being useless quackes ! All the time I was struggling in silence, on a high dosage of Prozac and having to sit and listen while he called his family for lack of support ! The following day he would be off with some wealthy friends grouse shooting in Scotland as right as rain !
    He may have been ill, and I know one of the traits is being manipulative but I feel his basic problem was attention seeking ! Some of my problems relate to that period because of the stress it imposed on the family and the arguments it caused !