Thread: What Would Dad Say?

What Would Dad Say?

So I was reviewing some saved posts, and I came across a style question that said "what would my Dad think". Now, we’ve all done the “what are you wearing”threads, and they are fine, if a bit stale to the ‘veterans’ here.

But this gave me an idea: don’t just say what you are wearing, but also what your Dad would say about the outfit, were he assuming to be looking as his GG daughter.

Dad raised me well, I think. Not spoiled nor snotty, and not stupid. Thanks Dad, you set the bar pretty high some times, and you were right to do so. But I think Dad would be totally lost on the CD?TG/TS thing. Simply beyond comprehension. Oh yes, there were time I wanted to dump the dirty details on him… perhaps payback for being CD?? Whatever. He came from a time when CD thoughts were labeled “wrong”. Period.

I feel sorry for the guy, he worked with what he had.

But the last person I’d consider asking about fashion when I was in my late teens was Dad. (Looking back, I’m not sure I dressed any better than he…)

And most of us do not tell dad we are crossdressers. But consider if you were a female, either GG or TS: Honestly describe your outfit, and then stop and think: "what would my Dad think"

Analyze this idea: What would he say, seeing you as a GG, in the outfit you are now wearing? (You can do Mom too- or instead of, if Dad is not appropriate)

I’ll go, first victim:

Wearing a Meijer’s (K-Mart like dept store in the midwest) dress: Nicely dressy yet with an air of demure. B/W stripes on a black knit base, red band at the hem, red belt. I’m about a size c or d breast. My Maybelline red/pink nailpolish would not go well with the Polish Roman Catholic ideals, even in the short, chic format. Black matte tight not too ****tty, Meijer’s/Walmart black flats with a patent toe. And my Baby Phat black puffer jacket size L which is a little tight on me (as opposed to an XL size).. for when I get cold (we keep the temp at 64°). It’s cute, probably more fitting for a younger person.

What would your Dad (or Mom) say?

Quote Originally Posted by Krististeph View Post
    Dad raised me well, I think. Not spoiled nor snotty, and not stupid. Thanks Dad, you set the bar pretty high some times, and you were right to do so. But I think Dad would be totally lost on the CD?TG/TS thing. Simply beyond comprehension.......... He came from a time when CD thoughts were labeled “wrong”. Period.
    Over the years I have posted a few times, in varying degrees of detail, how I was caught and punished for playing with my mom's lipstick. He held me down and verbally humiliated me while smearing it all over my mouth, Lesson learned: get DEEP into the closet. I could never have a conversation with him as to what I do and why I do it. The part of your post I quoted was my dad exactly. Such a thing as crossdressing or dabbling in elements of it was simply beyond comprehension.

But if I were a GG: I like to dress and make up over-the-top. My older sister wore some very high heeled pumps, just the kind I like. I never heard my dad object. She didn't wear heavy makeup, and he might have objected if too over-the-top, but as long as he didn't think gender lines were being crossed it wasn't a problem.
    I never revealed to my mom that I was a crossdresser, but I think I could have and gotten understanding if she had not been so heavily influenced by my dad's religious-based, conservative stance.

In my dads earlier years, all fem clothes would be a problem.
    Now in his 70's, when I last visited him, I was often in sports leggings and a red shoe string V front singlet while helping him to clean his house. His attitude was wear whatever makes you comfortable.
    Age does that to a lot of people
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

What would dad say

Nicole, you pretty much copied my parents' point of view.
    "Normal is just an illusion, what is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Addams

I would not have been pretty, had i been caught red handed by either parent, especially my harsh dad. As it was, i think they knew, because i messed up my sister's pantyhose badly , and some of my mom's stockings, and around then, my parents tried to get me to a "shrink", but never mentioned me dressing. Answer to your question. If my dad saw me all dressed up, in one of my dresses, and hose and heels, and wigs, NOT KNOWING IT WAS ME, I am sure he would be turned on, impressed, and heart skip a beat, as he only has been attracted to tall women!

Are we to assume that you are of an age where your parents would have had any input or control over what you are wearing? Because at 15 I am sure, had I been a GG daughter, he would have done the same thing as he did to his GM son. Nothing, absolutely nothing short of dressing like he and his sisters did in 1945. Hair would be too long, skirt too short, blouse too tight. And that was just what he would tell his son, his daughter would be dresses as Laura Ingalls with a chastity belt. Now if we are talking today, new can of worms. I came out to him last year at this time, finally saw him in person two months ago. He didn't like the idea at all so I needed to dress to change his mind. Not that I dress as a hooker normally mind you but I know some of the things I wear are designed to catch men's eyes. So what did I wear? I wore a knee length tropical blue print dress, it was low cut in the neckline but not too much. I wore 2" wedge dress pumps. No stockings. I was blonde, shoulder lenght hair and my makeup was as flawless as I could make it. White frame sunglasses and gold earrings and necklace. Daytime/dinner look. I did it for that occasion to avoid the "You look like a hooker" comment and even more to avoid the "you look like a guy in a dress". How did he take it? Well he didn't say anything against it. But we also visited my aunt who knew nothing about my transition. What did she say? "You look beautiful and happy."
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Platinum Member
    As children we normally see our parents as protectors and paragons of virtue. Then, as life unfolds we often learn that our parents had feet of clay...as humans they were no better or worse than we are, each with their own issues. My father was a good man in most respects, but I live in accordance with my own values, my interpretation of those I learned from my parents.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

My parents opposed any form of "different" behaviour and would never have approved.

As a dress up for a play, they were all for it.
    It was novel.
    Yes I do wonder about sense of values sometimes.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

He'd say it's too short. That's all I wear ... short things that show lots of leg.
    T-shirt says: "Hi, I Crossdress!"

Banned Read only
    "Why are you wearing a skirt boy?"

Banned Read only
    To this day I really don't know what made dad tick ! We didn't get on, he appeared to have a jealous streak in him as far as I was concerned ! On seeing me dressed I know he would have called me all the stereotype names ! I know he had a chip on his shoulder about something so perhaps he was repressing something ! All I know is he died at fifty three and sadly not that missed, I have ten years on him now and despite my CDing have been a better husband father and now grandfather !
    Last edited by Teresa; 10-24-2014 at 02:14 PM.

The non-GG next door.... Candice Mae's Avatar
    My mom told me to put on a bra this morning at breakfast, she's in town and spent the night at my place. To be fair it's starting to get cold here and I do need the support, my tank top wasn't helping much if at all. She's also commented about me showing too much cleavage and buying a really short dress when I we were out shopping together with my sister.

Banned Read only
    To my memory, I have never lived with my father. My parents separated when I was about a year old. That was probably a good thing as it turned out as our personalities are VERY different. My father is the classic Virgo and I am the classic Sagittarius.

My father was a kid during the Depression and was in the Navy at sea during WW2. I think both of those things did the most in terms of shaping his personality. And, while he understands the concept of being gay, bisexuality and crossdressing would be beyond comprehension. Personally, I don't envision any circumstances where I would come out to him. It just would serve no purpose.

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    Well, I can't say for sure but with out a doubt, he'd end up blaming it on Obama. LOL.
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

The Mad Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Fakley View Post
    Well, I can't say for sure but with out a doubt, he'd end up blaming it on Obama. LOL.
    Agree Amy.. 100%

Silver Member
    My father only saw me once dressed, and only a couple times with a robe covering my lingerie but he could see my nylon covered legs. He didn't say much and I realized that both my parents were worried about who I was and what others would think. I dressed nice and in those days dresses were long. I was lucky enough to be able to buy nice clothes.

My mother liked my clothes I gave her some of my outfits.

I think the question was, what would dad say if I were his daughter. Well, if I were his 14 year old daughter, he'd be just fine with it. Because I wear stuff very much like what my sister wore at that age. Luckily, dad passed away way before anyone suspected that I crossdress; I don't think he'd be happy about that, it was bad enough that I wasn't a star basketball player like he was......
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.