Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the experience

Aspiring Member

the experience

Into 7 month of hormones and this ts experience. There is one thing that replays in my mind more than anything about this whole deal. You ever watch shutter island? As Leonardo walks away he says something that i relate to. i am always playing that last quote out in my own mind. For me it just seems to make since in this day and age of our society and i get it.
    Last edited by GabbiSophia; 10-25-2014 at 09:54 PM.
    Professional thread killer.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    So why not tell people what it is that the character says?
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Yeah I don't remember the quote

Gold Member
    "Live as a monster or die as a good man"?

Aspiring Member
    Sorry Rihanna he "says is it better to be remembered the hero or live as the monster". He says this as he walks to get a labotomy

Banned Read only
    I have known several true American Heroes. None of them believe they are a hero and do not ever talk or boast of the fact. I do not know of many monsters so I can not say what they would have to say about your statement. I don't know any with a lobotomy but I do know a few who should consider the procedure.

My understanding of the movie is his opinion of himself as good was more important than keeping his brain intact but with the memory of having done evil.

The lobotomy was to lose a piece of himself but to keep his delusion of being good. To escape from himself and to die (lobotomy) a good man "in his own eyes"

Transexuals are often thought as sick and delusional for transitioning by "society" so this comparison leaves me uncomfortable from not being explained more clearly.
    The Psychology of Conformity
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARGczzoPASo

Mars brain, Venus brain: John Gray at TEDxBend
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuM7ZS7nodk

I guess I don't really get the relevance of the quote to being transsexual.

I don't get it either. Who's the monster, the transitioned person, or the person before? Forget the quote and its equivocal meaning. What are you feeling, and what do you want to tell us?

Silver Member
    What Frances said.

Kelly, it isn't a matter of self-opinion. It was self-realization. Andrew became Teddy because of overwhelming guilt. Already psychologically damaged by war, he literally loses himself after killing his mentally disturbed wife. At the finale, he has become himself (become Andrew) again, but realizes he doesn't have the ability to keep his sanity. (As hinted by Ben Kingley's character.) So pretending to be Teddy - and therefore not recovered and to be lobotomized - he essentially commits suicide. It's a profoundly tragic story that posits that there are some things that not avoidable and not recoverable.

Gabbi, I doubt you intend the trans analogies that suggest themselves. So, what do you mean?

Aspiring Member
    Actually Lea you summed it up pretty good imo. Though i am not relating anything to true hero's as jorja has commented on. I find my own struggle to be close to the stuggles of the main character. I seem to be in the place where I am in the middle with a descion to make. Is it so far out to see the link in the descions that we have to make? I feel like the labotomy is the optionto keep myself who i envision. I have spent a life time making goals and to have that snatched away and to spend the rest of my life dealing with people like Anne writes about. Have I not made a second persona to live the life I am living right now? By no means am I calling myself a hero but it's about who you are and who you see yourself as in the future. The same is now i am trying to just be because I do not want to be that person. Now don't get me wrong i am not wanting to die or hurt myself as someone could read into this but a labotomy would help. My therapist doesn't believe there is a middle ground for me but I am trying to keep that alive. Imo unless you blend away after transition you live outside the norm and our brains want the norm because it is nature trying to protect us. I am not at the point in my life I can tell the world off especially since I have done so much to just be.

You're fighting this way too much. It shows in most of your threads. Transition is a medical prescription to alleviate gender-related anxiety. It should make things easier, not harder. I think I have asked before, and I ask again: Are you sure you are trans?
    Last edited by Frances; 10-27-2014 at 08:22 AM.

Aspiring Member
    Well after 2 years of therapy 7 months of hormones and the constant feelings that seem to get worse i would go on a limb and say yea. Not to mention the fact that i can never stop thinking about it to the point i have wondered if i have ocd. The fact of the matter that i am fighting doesn't make me less t. I just don't want to do it i really enjoy my state before all this came about.

I am self destructing myself trying to not do it. I have found that i get why people abuse alcohol as it makes the noise and feelings to stop. So in the end Frances i say yes... with all that said i still hate it and i wish it would end but the way I want it to

The point of of my op is that i feel like have to make a choice and that's how i feel about it. It also doesn't bother me that you do not or you question whether I am ts. Your not the first but what's funny is the gender therapist keeps telling me to do it. Ahh the joys of mental issues
    Last edited by Nigella; 10-27-2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Please edit your previous post if no-one has posted after you and you want to add to the thread

A gender therapist should not tell anyone to transition, ever. People may disagree, but that's my opinion.

Aspiring Member
    I agree and diagree. I have come to the point in my relationship with my therapist that it doesn't matter what she says i am going to do what i want. That's just my experience and i asked her how to make the noise end.

Great response. I don't ask these questions to judge or repudiate your transness or anyone else's. I ask them because they are important. I went through a very rigourous gatekeeping style system, with individual and group therapy sessions every week (alternating). I was asked these questions over and over again. As long as there was still ambivalence, I did not go forward. The day that my answer become "I'm sure" and "I have already made an appointment with the review panel," I got my letters and transitioned. And I did so with great determination.

There were setbacks and hardships, but, internally, everything felt better afterwards. The difference between you and I (or others) is that I did the hard work in group therapy in a hospital with psychological supervision over the course of 5 years, not on an Internet forum. When someone (or I) would come in saying things like you do, the other members of the group and/or the therapist would ask the question "are you sure?" I don't care if you transition or not, but asking about it is my way of actually helping you test your resolve.

The only chance to have what you "want"((which I assume is to not transition and be happily male (or at least be able to live with it)) is to explore yourself

and that's what you are doing... the hormones...the therapist...going out as yourself...
    BUT
    you have to live day by day ... this is good advice for anyone but you are looking at the future and you see no good outcome... what you are fighting is part you part boogeyman...

if what you are feeling day to day is so miserable, you have to focus on what can you do TODAY to feel better...the future will unfold ...and frankly what you want has very little to do with it unless you are able to better
    cope with the day to day misery you are feeling... these are all just thoughts...have you explored mindfulness?? its just a way to notice to your thoughts as just thoughts...and not judge them...its not easy but its one potential way to try to better cope with day to day thoughts...and i'm sure there are lots of other ways you could work on... or work on that SPECIFIC thing with your therapist...don't talk about the transition or the future...just talk about right now...what are good coping strategies TODAY?.....

if you can't find good strategies and you can't cope with it then you are right to say that the status quo will have no good outcome.. as i'm sure you know, you are of no use to the people that love you and need you if you are a constant mess

forget transition, what can you do today to feel better? what can you do to improve your quality of life tonight?

Silver Member
    Again, I agree with Frances. The role of a therapist is to help you reach self realization and self direction – not to provide answers for you. Nothing short of self-realization is going to result in authenticity. Be very careful with a therapist who has a tendency to steer.

Think about this rationally for a minute. Are you simple and obvious? Really? So much so that a therapist can spend time with you, read the tea leaves, then pronounce who and what you are as well as what you need and what you should do? Do you think they have some special insight or training that enables them to do such things across the diversity of people they treat? They do not. Any decently trained therapist will tell you this outright. What they are trained to do is assist you in understanding yourself and helping you through the disentanglement of your own issues. The second they depart from this, they have stepped into another role. Some people want that. Some like it. A few hit the lottery and get steered into something appropriate. Just don't confuse that with psychotherapy. You are paying for psychotherapy – not someone to be your special friend or something. If, after two years of therapy, you find yourself wondering about OCD, I strongly suggest it is time to find another therapist.
    Lea

The movie metaphor is way over my head.

My experience was that GD just was not going to go away. There was always a dull roar in the back ground but on two separate occasions in the last ten years it reached a crescendo where it was impossible to ignore. On the first occasion events happened that caused me to want to shove it all back in the closet after a brief period of tentative self acceptance. On the second occasion about 5 years later I just knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that the GD wasn't going to go away. I could have shoved it all back in the closet again but it would have reared its head again and again and again only each time I'd be older and that terrified me! I just did not want to be any older than I already was and transitioning! Once I knew transition was the only solution to my problem I let nothing stand in my way.

Aspiring Member
    Frances it's a great point about people using the Internet therapy for determining their path. I do agree that those people are doomed. I use it to voice my little opinion and try to see others experiences since i don't have the time to go every week. Also i do not mind anyone questioning something i say because it's my thoughts. I hate that nature created this and that i am going through it. That's basically it.

Lea I didn't give a time line but i get your point. I am confident in how my therapy is going. I also believe though that at some point a good therapist should tell you to poop or get off the pot but timing is everything.

You are correct kaitlyn just sometimes that's hard to do.
    Last edited by GabbiSophia; 10-27-2014 at 01:15 PM. Reason: other posts to comment to

Silver Member
    If the 2 years you gave in #13 isn't a timeline, I'm not sure what is.

My last comments were particular to your OCD comment. OCD is something a gender therapist screens for right up front. First, it's a condition that sometimes manifests falsely as gender confusion. Second, when co-morbid with genuine gender issues, it's a complicating factor that should be treated first, lest a patient extend the time and extent of their suffering or, worst case, take a path - like transition - that they don't really need to take. That you would have ANY ambiguity on this point after 2 years of therapy is concerning.
    Lea

I don't know Lea. It took me 5 years of therapy to suss it out. It takes the time that it takes. It's forcing it that I find concerning.

Silver Member
    It took 5 years to find out you had OCD?
    Lea

What? No. It took five years to come to the conclusion that transition was inevitable and that I had to deal with come what may.

I have always known I had OCD. Ask my friends, they will tell you.
    Last edited by Frances; 10-27-2014 at 06:11 PM.

For some people they have a compulsion to live falsely because they need to escape something and for others they have a compulsion to live truely because they need to find something. Avoidance versus searching.

Gender dysphoria can make you do both simultaneously so GD potentially can be "crazy making"

My identfying with and as female early in life and than being told I was'nt, pitted me against everyone without understanding why or how.

I became suspicious that everyone was deceiving me yet I was also very gullible.

I had a problem finding something to believe in as being able to discern what is and is not true with the result being that I believed in nothing while also being a seeker of truth.

I did not believe there were truths while obsessively searching for them and this came straight out of my repressing my actual gender identity while searching for it.

On an existential level this was the expression of my gender dysphoria. All of it came out of not living "as I am".

I was pretending to "believe" that I was male while "knowing" that I was female which created a conflict within my own mind.

This is a common theme in gender dysphoria where you constantly hear that the person can no longer go on pretending to be what they are not.

In my case this conflict very much looked like OCD because of the obsessive nature of my struggle and search while in the grip of terrible uncertainty and fear.

The hormones did not create my identity but only quieted my anxiety so that I could stop fighting myself as my identity.

Part of this anxiety of course was reduced by the physical changes I witnessed but before that it was the almost complete cessation of anxiety that the testosterone was creating in me and it was not really the testosterone but the relationship between various hormones as "the proportions" that mattered.

My mental state was very similar to women who suffer from PCOS and there were concerns that I was Bi Polar,OCD and ADHD.

All of this was remedied by changes in my endocrine system. The hormones "leveled me out" so I was not agitated, nervous, irritable, depressive, anxious, ect..

I knew what gender I was as a child and my body and brain reminded me by the emotional/mental suffering I endured until I made the necessary changes.

For me mental illness closely followed not only "not living my actual gender identity" but also not having my endocrine system in the proper balance.

For me I cannot imagine some level of OCD not being an aspect of gender dysphoria.

Your doubts of what is true or not in my opinion are perfectly understandable when you consider what a transexual is and does and most importantly what has "been done to them" that contributes to their mental and emotional state.

Searching for ones gender can be very messy. Being unsure does not make you "not a woman" because you either are or you are not. You cannot consciously create it or undo it because it is beyond your reach, hence why we suffer so much.

Gender just "is" and all you can do is accept it or deny it.

It is moving beyond the barriers that blind you to the truth of what it "is" that can be difficult.
    Last edited by KellyJameson; 10-27-2014 at 08:14 PM.
    The Psychology of Conformity
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARGczzoPASo

Mars brain, Venus brain: John Gray at TEDxBend
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuM7ZS7nodk