Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What makes you "pass"?

50's Housewife Wannabe Madilyn A.'s Avatar
    I could only hope to pass on a moon-less, star-less night wearing an oversize hoodie.
    Believe in the impossible dream, dreams do come true !!!

www.flickr.com/madilyna

Madilyn

I could never pass since I have a 44 inch barrel chest and 32 inch hips as well as a height of 6' 2''.

Silver Member
    Nothing "makes me pass". I just don't believe there is a checklist of "musts", and if you comply, you will "pass".

I can feel unnoticed and go unnoticed - but it depends on where I am and how I act and what I wear and who is around and many other factors.

It is all in the shoes, wear ugly, low heeled shoes or Uggs and no one will notice you! Of course I kid. I would love to pass 100% but I have settled for blending.

Platinum Member
    Hi Cheryl, Try to dress like the majority of the GG do use subdued and don't wear hi heels and a short skirt to WAL*MART.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Anyone can do it......well, almost anyone.......

I tend to dress down when I want to pass no heels, maybe jeans or a longer skirt. easy on the makeup. I do try to act normal and not act over fem (what ever that is). I have been told I pass, and I think I do for the most part 90% of the time. Confidence is the biggest issue when trying to pass, if you are confident you will probably do fine in the outside world
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

Perfect advice right on

Elegance Personified katie elouise's Avatar
    I in all honesty don't think that I ' pass ' ,but I do use what I have learned about deportment ,decorum, dressing ,and not using to much make up all topped of with a nice smile to try to blend . If I can do this its a great day if not well ,you will just have to take me as I am ....... or you could always turn the other check . Katie x.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie R View Post
    What makes me pass? Prune juice.
    Now that you've stolen my thunder, if you'll pardon the pun, I'll simply comment on the genuine point of the post.

Not much can make us pass unless our genetics deemed fit to be very kind and allow us to assume either gender presentation without effort. Very few of those, so good makeup and dress to blend is the best I can offer. I love to 'dolly up', as I hate looking like a bargain basement offer, but then I stand out like a lighthouse in a city.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Silver Member
    Being young, fine boned, height within most girl's range, thin with a small waist and fem face. As a teen in guy mode I had people think I was a girl. With sisters who enjoyed teaching me to do the girl things I had a lot of practice with dressing and makeup. I never developed the overly fem movements that some take up. I was teased that I walked like a girl. Learning to be comfortable in women's clothes takes time. One thing that most CDs don't get the benefit of is coaching. Girls are taught to cross their legs, sit like this, walk a certain way, slide your dress up slightly when getting in the car. Movements that most guys never know about. Carrying books on your hip rather than hanging down on your arm like guys.

I was in a store one time and looking at a scarf and the SA said you are the only guy I've seen that handled that like a woman.

I have alway thought it was about the little details , and being relaxed. So unpon a casual look nothin apeaers out of place
    And usually no one looks any farther.
    I always ran into trouble when I had to speak

I suppose that I have an advantage over some of you girls, in that I am only 5.5" tall and very slim. I know that my age is against me (73), but I do my best to blend in. I look more like a mother or a middle aged aunt. Dress your age not a bimbo unless you can get away with it.
    I find that wearing heels (not more than 2 and a half inches) works well for me. And another thing is do not walk with a male stride. Women walk with shorter steps.

T-Girl and here to stay!! Rosaliy Lynne's Avatar
    I don't even try to pass. I do try to look my best and blend in and in that respect I think I do rather well. At least I am accepted as I appear. My voice, well that is another matter. Sometimes I can present a nearly femme voice but I know that most of the time, people here male when I speak. As long as they treat me as I am and with respect, it's all good.
    Rosaliy Lynne
    We are who we are. We become what we must.
    http://rosaliylynne.com/

Banned Read only
    I go with my own hair. Unless you spend hundreds of dollars on real human hair wigs no artificial fiber will look good in sunlight or artificial light.

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    I waited to answer this because I wanted to see what others would say. Many of my friends here hit it on the head. I have great wigs, chose clothes that look good on me and do a good job on my makeup. All are modeled after what I observe women of my build and similar coloring and facial structure work with. Do I pass after all that work? I think so but do I know for sure? No, but do I care? Not really. Society has changed dramaticly since I started to go out in public back in 1980. I don't think the general public really cares how we dress. (Except for poor Bruce Jenner) I just adore dressing and I just love to be as tall as everyone else with my 3 1/2 inch heels even if it's just for one day at a time.

Kara Zor-El
    Really big Diva sun-glasses! When I dress and put on make up I look like I'm 19 anyway...so I just kind of blend. Usually do a scarf around the Adam's apple

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    To be honest I doubt any of us truly pass. That would imply that you could walk into a room engage people in conversation and everyone would think you were a woman. I believe we (even the prettiest young ones) have certain tells that give us away. Now "blending" is not outside of the realm of possibility for many. I blend due to a combination of my size, shape and clothing choice. I tend to dress in everyday fashions depending on where I am (situational specific).

Isha
    I think I could pass after a good makeover as long as I didn't speak.

One time, I got a makeover at Vanity's in Houston. I went to TJ Maxx to shop, and eventually sked a GG SA where something was. Shortly thereafter a GM sa came by to see if I h found what I was looking for. I think that GG SA had a suspicion and sent gM SA to verify her assumption, Or maybe GG SA totally clocked me, and told GM SA, who had to see the girl/boy for himself. I would like to believe it was the voice that gave me away.

But to the opposite point, I see a lot of GG (I think) that don't "pass" as women either. So, who's to say.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    I try to do the best job I can on picking an outfit that is age and activity appropriate, concentrate on my makeup and do the best I can with my wig, voice and mannerisms. After all that the best I can hope for from others is they ignore me because their lives are much more important than looking for tall women who just might be men. If I can get down the street, around the corner or into the next shop before they turn around I've "passed by" and that's good enough for me. Any direct interaction with me and they figure it out pretty quick, so I can have all the confidence in the world but with my build and face, it's pretty easy to see that I'm not a woman. My goal is to have a good time and if that happens I'm getting a passing grade for effort if not effect.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Stephanie. Your skills with makeup and wig seems to be professional and flawless. I usually go out early morning or afternoon and just blend in. My makeup and getting ready made me understand why women can hold us up. I gave up going out after work in fem. Weekends gives me more time. I turn no heads other than those interested in a middle aged woman or women who can be critical of fashion.

I always want to pass, but had a chance to dress at my will for 2 weeks and discovered that it is me who feels natural and comfortable that makes the difference. Pass or not I loved that I was dressed and out by myself. Just being me was great.
    Dee anne

Dee anne is right on,being comfortable is where it's at for me. I want to be meand of course I want to be presentable. there's nothing wrong with a good makeover.but when it's all said and done , it's what is inside that counts

It depends on what you mean by 'passing'.

Unless you are actually female, attempting to 'pass' as a female is likely relatively futile and probably not always the most sensible goal.

If you mean 'pass' as a woman, then that, to me, is a different matter. Being a woman is being feminine in appearance, behaviour, style, expression and even thought. It takes more to be a woman than being female, and being female is the least important criterion. I have, in these forums, seen images of many males. Some appear 'female', but most are either distinguishable to some degree as male or are not necessarily beautiful in the traditional sense. The vast majority, however, are very feminine, very much women and their sex really does not matter. I find their femininity to be lovely and far more appealing aesthetically than any masculine presentation.

The key to 'passing', in that sense is fitness. A healthy appearing physique has potential far greater than one that is unhealthy. I do not mean muscular or extraordinarily fit, just healthy. Both males and females have the ability to create a particularly lovely and feminine persona when they are relatively in good shape. The anatomy is the canvas and clothing, cosmetics, scents, accessories, footwear, jewellery, etc.; these are the palette from which presentation is created. Posture, decorum, body language, voice, etc. frame and highlight the result. None of these are dependent on one's sex, nor should they be.

What is rarely recognized is that probably as many females (as a proportion of the human population) as males delight in that mode of creativity. It simply seems that females are more likely to engage in the practice because they are permitted to do so, even, in some instances, required to do so. What is tragic is that males are not only inhibited and restricted from doing so, but that such restrictions create the impression that they should not be permitted to do so.

So, I judge whether someone 'passes' not on whether they make me believe they are female, but on whether they make me believe that they are feminine. After all, everyone is a critic!

Minerva.

Well, I guess I could pass with bad lighting, and if people aren't too close and don't really pay attention (which is easier nowadays since the smartphone attracts most of the attention these days).

So, I do my best to blend: by dressing appropriatly, and even forgetting I'm even dressed... which envetually happens after 10 minutes being outside (that being said, I'm new to this, I got out of the house en femme last week for the first time).

I'm also lucky to be short (5'4"), so that helps.

T-Girl and here to stay!! Rosaliy Lynne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sometimes Steffi View Post
    I think I could pass after a good makeover as long as I didn't speak.

One time, I got a makeover at Vanity's in Houston. I went to TJ Maxx to shop, and eventually sked a GG SA where something was. Shortly thereafter a GM sa came by to see if I h found what I was looking for. I think that GG SA had a suspicion and sent gM SA to verify her assumption, Or maybe GG SA totally clocked me, and told GM SA, who had to see the girl/boy for himself. I would like to believe it was the voice that gave me away.

But to the opposite point, I see a lot of GG (I think) that don't "pass" as women either. So, who's to say.
    The voice always gives us away. As to the GG's not passing as women, I spent a week back in 2006 with a GG friend up from Cali for the DLV get together here in Vegas. She looks more male than I do. Go figure.
    Rosaliy Lynne
    We are who we are. We become what we must.
    http://rosaliylynne.com/