Thread: Amy's Second Halloween - Opening The Door Wider

Lady in Being (7/20/17) AmyGaleRT's Avatar

Amy's Second Halloween - Opening The Door Wider

Once again, Amy entered the office today...this time, as "Fairy Princess Amy." And I employed the lessons learned from last year...and learned a few more valuable things.

The preparations, as with last year, started the night before, when I washed my hair, epilated, and painted my nails. I also employed a new exfoliating body scrub and facial peel I'd gotten recently, which really helped! I had a large tote bag packed with a number of things, including, this year, my actual purse stuffed into the top of the bag.

I woke up early, allocating 2 hours for wardrobe, hair, and makeup. In about an hour and a half, though, I was ready, in my pink chiffon evening gown, my tiara atop my head. I draped my pink pashmina around my shoulders against the chill as I walked out to the car.

The drive to work was fairly uneventful, and I got a good parking space across from the entrance. I fetched my things and used the parking structure elevator to go down one floor, then entered the building. My first stop was the lobby floor ladies' room (which was empty), where I occupied the biggest stall, removed and folded my pashmina, and attached my wings. The wings are on a wire framework that I had to slide down the back of my dress, then reach underneath, find the elastic ties, and tie them around my waist, under my dress. I managed this in a lot less time than it had taken me in practice! A quick check of my hair, and I was ready to venture on!

I rode up in the elevator with a woman who worked on a lower floor, and she asked if our Halloween party was today. I explained that it was, because employees' children would be coming in and it would have been too hectic to do it tomorrow. She got off, and I rode up to our "new" floor.

This is a new space for the company, very open on both sides of the building. When I stepped in, then, pretty much anyone could see me; it was still early, though, so few people were around. I greeted people with "Good morning," and took my seat, unlocking my file cabinet and getting my computer out. I also flipped around the nameplate pinned in front of me, to the side that I had previously prepared to say, "Amy Tapie." My manager was not surprised to see me, because she already knows my secret; another manager, who I've worked for in the past, came in as I was speaking to her, and I think I blew the poor man's mind!

I actually did more work today than I'd managed last year on this day, but I still managed to get up and around to spread some goodwill here and there. Some of my coworkers who had dressed last year weren't doing so this year. Some of them remembered my name as "Amy," too. I certainly felt more comfortable than I had last year! (In fact, at lunch time, a couple of ladies suggested I should come with them on their trip to Vegas this weekend! Now that's acceptance! I could feel my estrogen levels rising. )

I took part in two meetings as Amy as well: our regular team status meeting in the morning, and a meeting of all developers in the early afternoon. In both the meetings, I participated as Amy, using Amy-voice throughout. I wasn't treated as anything other than another (female) developer, either by my peers or by my managers.

I was asked to pose for pictures a lot, which I gladly did, since I love posing for pictures. Here's one that was taken by my coworker Larry, and subsequently sent to our satellite office:

princess-amy-small.jpg

One of my female friends from the satellite office E-mailed me, telling me how great I looked.

Sadly, when it came time for the contest judging, I only took second place this year, losing to Melanie, who came in as a lady cowboy riding an ostrich. She later told me, though, that my example as Witch Amy last year had inspired her to compete this year. I was glad of that, and gave her a big hug. After all, I had already had my victory for this year.

I was called on to help out my teammate in the afternoon; he called over to me with "Amy, could you come help me with this?" I sat with him and tried to straighten out what he was looking at; we made good progress. Another of my teammates, our QA guy Chris who sits across from me, was very flattering to me all day...never anything crude or harassing, mind you, but gentlemanly. I told him that he knows how to make a lady happy!

I had no trouble with any of the children or their parents when they came in; I handed out coloring books and pencils, as well as waving my wand over them for a "fairy blessing." About the only thing that got remarked on was my height; understandable, since I'm around 6'2" and was wearing 2" heels on top of that, since the floor-length dress required them!

Just before 5:00, I borrowed the company's "Wellness Room" (actually a room used by nursing mothers for milk expression) to change. But, instead of going completely back to my male self, I slipped into a more "normal" dress and a pair of flats (aaahhhh! ), changed my jewelry, and swapped my tiara for a regular headband. With the gown in a garment bag and my heels in my tote bag, I went back to my desk. Some of my coworkers, then, saw me...not being "Fairy Princess Amy," but just being Amy. They generally paid little mind as I packed everything up, locked up my computer, and left...now switched from being a fairy princess to being just another woman. (When I got home though, I had to change my bra...the strapless bra I'd worn all day was beginning to pinch something awful! I should've packed an extra bra in addition to the extra dress, shoes, and cardigan...)

This adventure was a smashing success, and I really started to feel like, if I ever actually did decide to transition to Amy full-time, I would have an easy time of it at my company. And now a few more people may suspect the truth about me; I dropped a few hints into conversation that pointed at the truth. Perhaps they'll be willing to take the next step, and learn that having a bigendered coworker isn't something to hate or fear.

- Amy
    Amy Gale Ruth Bowersox (nee Tapie) - "Be who you are, and be it in style!"
    Member, Board of Trustees, Gender Identity Center of Colorado
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Congratulations Amy! I'm glad it went well for you.

I'm retired and never dressed up at work, but the last several years I have attended my wife's Thursday craft group Halloween party as a Red Hat lady, a cowgirl, a flapper, a bride, a pumpkin lady in a harvest themed sweater dress, and today as Bo Peep with my stuffed sheep - everyone always had a great time and they look forward every year to what my costume will be.

Well done Amy

Congrats Amy, sounds like a wonderful, busy day for a working girl.

Amy,
    reading into this, I can see you making some successful inroads into attitudes.
    You appear to be going about it the right way.
    Oh, your costume?
    Obviously very successful.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Amy and congrats on your work excursion. As you said, I am sure a few coworkers now suspect that Amy may be more than just a Halloween part of you but they did not seem too fussed. I am glad it went well.

Hugs

Isha

Glad you had a good time! Any office that has a "Wellness Room" for "milk expression" shouldn't have much of an issue with a TG employee! lol
    It SURE is my hair ! I have the receipt and the box it came in !

Amy.

I imagine there is little doubt among your coworkers that you are, at the least, CD. I think that when you took your costume off and changed into . . . . . . . . Amy, rather than that guy, you cemented it in everyone's mind. I say, don't lose the momentum. Get thee to the HR office and have a discussion about being Amy at work.

Just my thoughts.

BTW, you looked fabulous in your costume. Must have felt like you were in a fairy tale.

Best,
    Rhonda
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Wow is all I can say. Wow because you make a splendid fairy, and wow for your confidence in yourself.

Congratulations!

Nikki

Sounds like a great place to work!
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    That's awesome, Amy! Sounds like you had an amazing day, marred only by you obviously being robbed in the costume contest

Good for you, sis!

Thank you all! I felt really good about the whole experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    Amy,
    reading into this, I can see you making some successful inroads into attitudes.
    You appear to be going about it the right way.
    Oh, your costume?
    Obviously very successful.
    One of the highlights was when I came up to our development VP, three levels up from me, and said, "Good morning, Rick." He replied, "Good morning, Amy." He got it right the first time! (Amy squees with delight) I even spoke with the CEO that day; he treated me quite nicely, and I, of course, responded in kind.

Over the course of the day, the reactions seemed mixed. Some just went, "Oh my God, I can't believe it!" Others complimented me on my appearance. Those that knew the name "Amy" tended to use it and treat me as female, but, in general, the same person they'd known.

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    Hi Amy and congrats on your work excursion. As you said, I am sure a few coworkers now suspect that Amy may be more than just a Halloween part of you but they did not seem too fussed. I am glad it went well.
    You know, it's surprising how many people really don't seem too fussed about it. My fiancee has told some of her gaming clan members, just in case they overhear me speaking in Amy-voice over her mic. They basically shrugged at it. (One of them, though, revealed that he is also a CD. I've seen her pictures, and she looks very good indeed!) She's also told our apartment maintenance guy, in case he comes in and sees either me dressed, or my clothes and stuff. He doesn't mind either. I suppose attitudes are really changing, though I know there's still a long ways to go yet.

I heard about the opinions of three of the children that saw me. One thought I was a woman, one thought I was a man, and one didn't know one way or the other. That's pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by Tina B. View Post
    Sounds like a great place to work!
    Really, it is...it's been getting better over at least the past year, too. I can say that the HR people, who my manager thought should be brought in on the secret, are also very accepting, and I am confident that any person who wanted to transition there would be treated with dignity and respect by HR. Even if I'm not planning to do so myself, I kind of had to ascertain that, for the sake of my sisters if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Darling View Post
    I imagine there is little doubt among your coworkers that you are, at the least, CD. I think that when you took your costume off and changed into . . . . . . . . Amy, rather than that guy, you cemented it in everyone's mind. I say, don't lose the momentum. Get thee to the HR office and have a discussion about being Amy at work.
    No one seems to have treated me any differently because of it. I actually discussed at length the things I did to create my Amy-voice with one of my coworkers, and she gave no sign that she suspected that I use it far more often than just once a year! Chris the QA guy, who was pleased that I'd referred to him as "my 'valiant champion'" in an E-mail, seems accepting enough that he may be ready to take the next step...

When I came back to my desk as "ordinary Amy," people saw me but didn't say anything, other than one "Where's your costume?" comment. I saw my manager, and she agreed I looked nice and was quite work-appropriate. One of my teammates did ask me, "What are your boobs made out of? Silicone?" I confirmed that for him; he didn't bring it up again.

I'm of the opinion that me trying to be Amy at work any other time of the year would probably be too disruptive, and I'm fairly sure that HR would agree with me, unless I were actually planning to transition. And, for reasons I've stated elsewhere (primarily my fiancee), I'm not planning on doing that, and am content to stay a part-time woman...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogina B View Post
    Any office that has a "Wellness Room" for "milk expression" shouldn't have much of an issue with a TG employee! lol
    The room's a small one on the main floor of the company, along the same hallway as the restrooms. It's equipped with a sink, comfy chairs arranged so a woman can stretch out while she does her expression, and even a small refrigerator for milk storage. One thing it lacks, however, is a mirror. I suggested to Kylie the receptionist that maybe it should have one. After all, perhaps a lady would want to check her appearance after she's finished pumping and before she leaves, without having to go across to the restroom, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Denier View Post
    That's awesome, Amy! Sounds like you had an amazing day, marred only by you obviously being robbed in the costume contest
    I'm not too concerned about that. I still won second place, which was a set of Regal Ultimate movie tickets and a concessions gift card. My fiancee has already made plans for us to use those when The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies comes out.

Okay, a couple of bits I didn't mention in my initial post...

You see from the picture I posted how the light is coming in the windows and hitting the floor. Those windows are on the east side of the building, meaning the morning sun was pouring in. Walking into that sunlight made me feel something like Queen Elsa in Frozen, walking out of her ice palace and singing, "Here I stand in the light of day!" I might have started singing "Let It Go," except that the song makes me tear up. But it seems so apropos, amirite? "It's time to see what I can do, / To test the limits and break through, / No right, no wrong, no rules for me, I'm free!"

Here's a portion of another picture, this one taken by my coworker Hassina. I've cropped out everything but my face, as there were three other people in the picture with me.

princess-amy-face-small.jpg

I look at that expression on my face, and the only word that I can find to describe it is..."bliss."

Just as before, I was dressed as a fairy princess, but I was being a woman wearing a fairy princess costume. And enjoying it greatly.

- Amy
    aka Amelia Storm - Ms. Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2018-2019, Miss Majestic Hearts of All Colorado 2015-2016

Great experience Amy - thanks for sharing all of that with us...

Seems like you have a good bunch of work colleagues - generous and accepting - I'm really pleased for you!

Great outfit too - shame about being the runner-up but obviously well-deserved too... I like the idea of a Fairy Princess in a development environment... a lot of projects I've lived with needed some real magic to get them beyond prototype, could've done with you and your magic wand a few years ago... Neat wings, btw... they look like they might be made from some sort of .NET material...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Platinum Member
    Hi Amy, It really sounds like you had a wonderful day, That is a lovely costume.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Oh Amy, what a WONDERFUL day. We can only hope that the understanding and acceptance that you found will go beyond your co-workers. Another step in the right direction for all of us!

I loved Katey's response. More workplaces need a Fairy Godmother to make things happen!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Gold Member
    I think you are more than out Amy, you just haven't formalized it by saying so. Nothing wrong with that. I think times have changed too. While not to downplay what anyone goes through, I think in general people are more accepting and workplaces aren't as tough. A product of those that came before us and the pains they went through. Do you know where you are going or where you think you want to be? Is part time enough or do you feel TS or maybe a full time CD? I will say that I wouldn't totally take the reactions of one day a year and assume that everything will be hunky dory if you were full time. It is a nice indicator, but people have initial reactions that aren't the same as the long term ones.

But outside of all that thinking stuff. You look lovely and it sounds like a beautiful day! I am happy for anyone that can have that kind of experience and especially happy for you. Nothing like a fun and great work environment.

Princess for a day!

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    What an amazing and inspiring story ... you go, girl!
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

Quote Originally Posted by Katey888 View Post
    Great experience Amy - thanks for sharing all of that with us...

Seems like you have a good bunch of work colleagues - generous and accepting - I'm really pleased for you!

Great outfit too - shame about being the runner-up but obviously well-deserved too... I like the idea of a Fairy Princess in a development environment... a lot of projects I've lived with needed some real magic to get them beyond prototype, could've done with you and your magic wand a few years ago... Neat wings, btw... they look like they might be made from some sort of .NET material...
    .NET?!? Eww! (Amy holds up the sign of the cross) We're strictly a Java shop, Katey... I have to admit, though, I can't find fault in your reasoning about needing a fairy princess to get some code working!

The wings were actually made by a woman in Oregon calling herself "Deanna, Lady Tailor to the Faeries." I found her on Etsy.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire Cook View Post
    Oh Amy, what a WONDERFUL day. We can only hope that the understanding and acceptance that you found will go beyond your co-workers. Another step in the right direction for all of us!

I loved Katey's response. More workplaces need a Fairy Godmother to make things happen!
    We could use one sometimes, indeed...I don't know if our Release Manager would qualify.

My manager is almost like my own fairy godmother, though. She's one of the few people I can discuss myself-as-Amy freely with. I'm trying to learn what I can from her...and she may be learning something from me about accessorizing, so we teach each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    I think you are more than out Amy, you just haven't formalized it by saying so. Nothing wrong with that. I think times have changed too. While not to downplay what anyone goes through, I think in general people are more accepting and workplaces aren't as tough. A product of those that came before us and the pains they went through. Do you know where you are going or where you think you want to be? Is part time enough or do you feel TS or maybe a full time CD? I will say that I wouldn't totally take the reactions of one day a year and assume that everything will be hunky dory if you were full time. It is a nice indicator, but people have initial reactions that aren't the same as the long term ones.

But outside of all that thinking stuff. You look lovely and it sounds like a beautiful day! I am happy for anyone that can have that kind of experience and especially happy for you. Nothing like a fun and great work environment.

Princess for a day!
    Sue, that's not an easy question. Were it not for my fiancee, who, as I've mentioned elsewhere, still wants "her man" in her life, I would probably give more serious thought to going full-time or transitioning. I likely will not go back to work as Amy except on Halloween, as, at any other time of the year, I think it would be too disruptive (unless I were going full-time Amy), and I think HR would agree with me. But that's not a necessity...and the company has flexible-enough PTO policies that I'm able to take half-days at need so I can go home and transform for one of the social engagements I have as Amy.

As for being "out"...I'm not exactly going to broadcast "I am transgender" to the "All Employees" E-mail address. But, if someone asks me point-blank, I would tell them and answer their questions; it is, after all, my belief that the more people know those like us, and why we do what it is we do, the fewer people would hate and fear us. I'm not likely to harm anyone in the first place, but, if anything, I'm even less likely to do so as Amy.

A lot of it really has been about self-acceptance more than anything. Ceri Anne just called me "the girl I know who accepts herself better than anyone I know." It's taken me a long time to get that far, but it's definitely been worth it!

- Amy

Aspiring Member
    Amy, I'm NOT surprised that you could do this!

Cheryl

Gold Member
    You are awesome Amy! I do love the approach of owning it and educating. It has worked well for me and I am glad it is for you.

Platinum Member
    It seems a bit redundant, Amy, but really well done. Certainly,my pure much farther out than you were a year ago, and it seems equally clear that your colleagues and company are responding in a very positive manner. Of course, the degree to which you come out in your personal and professional lives is up to you, and it appears, well within your control.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt